• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aasimar/Tiefling 1st Level Character

phillipjp

First Post
Ok, I've read the Level Adjustment sections in the MM, DMG and Savage Species. The text hints and alludes to how "Level Adjustment +1" affects character progression, but I'm still confused and I've yet to see one good, solid example. Planetouched don't have monster hit die of their own, it's based on class.

Suppose I create a 1st Level Aasimar Paladin. What exactly does that mean, as far as character progression? Am I a 2nd level character with 0 xp? Do I gain xp rewards as if I'm a 2nd level character? Do I need 1000 or 3000 xp to gain my 2nd level? And do I really get to spend 900 gold on equipment instead of 6d4x10? :(

Infiniti2000

First Post
phillipjp said:
Suppose I create a 1st Level Aasimar Paladin. What exactly does that mean, as far as character progression?
You have an effective character level (ECL) of 2.
phillipjp said:
Am I a 2nd level character with 0 xp?
You are a 2nd level character with 1000-2999XP.
phillipjp said:
Do I gain xp rewards as if I'm a 2nd level character?
Yes.
phillipjp said:
Do I need 1000 or 3000 xp to gain my 2nd level?
3000 total, but only 1-2000 more.
phillipjp said:
And do I really get to spend 900 gold on equipment instead of 6d4x10? :(
Technically speaking, but the DM should tell you what you can do when you create a character at higher than level one.

IcyCool

First Post
Level Adjustment is basically the same thing as a level, except you get nothing beneficial from it.

So a 1st level Paladin Aasimar is effectively the same level as a 2nd level human paladin. And both need the same amount of experience to level to 3rd (where the Aasimar will be a 2nd level paladin) and 4th (where the Aasimar will be a 3rd level paladin) and 5th (where the Aasimar will be a 4th level paladin), etc.

phillipjp

First Post
So, unlike other monstrous characters with monster hit die (as in Savage Species), there's no way to play an "ECL 1" Planetouched? You have to have a class level and the LA +1 makes it a level 2 character?

Infiniti2000

First Post
phillipjp said:
So, unlike other monstrous characters with monster hit die (as in Savage Species), there's no way to play an "ECL 1" Planetouched? You have to have a class level and the LA +1 makes it a level 2 character?
Yes, unless SS has a planetouched progression. However, if you have to start at level one (which would rule out your character choice), I would instead ask the DM to allow you to use the planetouched creature, effectively making you ECL 2, but start your XP at 0 and not allow you to gain a level until level 3. The reason why I personally would agree to this as a DM is because level 1 really will not last long anyways that any seemingly unbalanced effect from your character will not be felt for long (if at all).

waterdhavian

First Post
in basic english you're class level is 1, your character level is essentially 2 since aasimar are ecl +1.

Now ECL being Effective Character level not class level means you do not act as a 2nd level paladin nor do you recieve extra stating gold or equipment.

for experience you are considered 1 level higher than all your classes combined and must attain enough experience as if you were 1 level higher aswell.

I apologize if this is redundant just my two cents.

on a side note Ecl can really be an annoyance when its higher then +1, Drow for instance are +2 and at that point it gets irritating when you are levels behind your fellow adventurers and to make up for the fact you are considered 2 levels higher you may face tougher encounters. This can end up with the drow being underpowered in some cases.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Man I hates me some LA.

For my own games, I go through and work with any "roleplaying" acceptable alternate races that don't work "mechanically" because of how LA works.

Usually I strip out stuff that's only situationally useful at low levels ... at lvl 1, a Tiefling casting Darkness 1/day is pretty powerful, as it's a spell only 3rd level characters can normally get ... at lvl 10, casting Darkness is a pretty cruddy reason to be out a full caster level or the like. So out with all spell-like-abilities, to start.

Plus you can space some abilities like that out over a few levels or make them mandatory feat selections, leaving them for later in everyone's progression when they no longer really matter.

LA races get penalized their entire careers for being too powerful at early levels.

--fje

DamionW

First Post
There are a lot of races out of the MM and SS that don't have racial classes, yet I'd like to create 1 ECL characters of to match with a 1 ECL party for my game. I've jury-rigged a lot of them to give their racial bonuses out over two or three levels so that when their ECL catches up to their class level they can continue progress in the class. It's not that hard to split it up if you want to figure it out.

Klaus

First Post
Savage Progressions (a retired feature over at WotC's website, written by Sean K Reynolds) has a "Savage Species"-like progression for Aasimar. You start with fewer aasimar powers and your regular class, and 0 XP. When you get 1000 XP, you take your remaining aasimar level, gaining nothing but aasimar powers.

The series also has a "transitive" class that allows an aasimar to become a half-celestial.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
IcyCool said:
Level Adjustment is basically the same thing as a level, except you get nothing beneficial from it.

This is probably not what IcyCool meant, but I feel compelled to argue with this point. LA does give you something ... you do get the racial traits - such as the aforementioned ability to cast darkness, etc. That's what the LA is there for - to balance out the effective add-ons that come with playing one of those characters. Now, I will agree with many who said LAs are balanced at lower levels but at higher levels they really hamper a character if more than +1.

Also, as HeapThaumaturgist began ... I would say that with several of the LA +1 classes I have found that merely rearranging their ability bonuses can balance the class. [NOT always true, but often true with the LA +1 varieties] For example ...this may seem strange to many of you ... but take the 3.5 hobgoblin. Essentially the hobgoblin gets a +1 for:

+2 DEX, +2 CON
+4 on Move Silently checks
Darkvision

Now, I allow players to play a hobgoblin with that make-up if they want the LA +1. Or, if they want to play a LA +0 character I trade the +2 DEX +2 CON and insert +2 DEX, -2 STR. The DMG states that adjusting a DEX, STR, or CON by +2 can be compensated by adjusting another one of those three by -2. So, that immediate makes the stat increase/decrease a non issue. So really, this is a character who gets no LA and receives darkvision and +4 on Move Silently checks. I admit ... it's actually a bit underpowered now ... but I've had no complaints. My players can choose either hobgoblin stat block depending on how they want to build their character.

Remove ads