• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ability increasing magic items...

Gromm

First Post
kreynolds said:

Ummm...Gromm? That's not what he was asking. You might wanna check his post again. :)

LOL.
Don't post while half asleep kids.
:rolleyes:

As far as bonus's above +6, it seems the ELHB will probably cover that (from what I've seen anyway). So barring magic items that aren't official and feats that aren't official, the current rules set doesn't handle those type of items very well.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Gromm said:

As far as bonus's above +6, it seems the ELHB will probably cover that (from what I've seen anyway). So barring magic items that aren't official and feats that aren't official, the current rules set doesn't handle those type of items very well.

Yep. Given how epic-level characters will probably have stats going from 20 all the way to wherever, it almost becomes a necessity to break the +6 barrier. A +6 belt of Strength just seems so insignificant when your base Str is already 50.

kreynolds

First Post
Gromm said:

I've seen it, and it sucks. I don't wanna go into how bonuses above +6 are handled on magic items in the ELH. Mostly, I'm just interested in opinions of why you think it would/wouldn't be a bad idea to allow +8 items right now. Like I said, I don't see a problem with it.

kreynolds

First Post
I don't know where Gilmax is (I think he's kinda shy ;), either that, or he's gettin' his butt kicked workin' on his website) but he suggested an idea to me yesterday that seemed really good, so I'll go ahead and post it here before either of us forget it. Currently, the ability bonus granted by a magic item taps out at +6, but Gilmax suggested that a sliding scale (he really likes those) might be more appropriate. Basically, the higher the bonus, the higher the cost calculation formula. It would look something like this:

+2 to +6 - bonus squared x 1,000gp (this is the formula in the DMG and T&B)
+8 to +12 - bonus squared x 2,000gp
+14 to +18 - bonus squared x 3,000gp
+20 to +24 - bonus squared x 4,000gp
etc, etc, etc.

So, while a Belt of Strength +6 is a meager 36,000gp, a Belt of Strength +8 would jump to 128,000gp and a Belt of Strength +10 would be 200,000gp. Likewise, a Belt of Strength +14 would jump to 588,000gp.

How's that look? (Thanks Gilmax :))

Last edited:

Jeremy

Explorer
We're going to have to set up a day or something that we can get together k. I'd love to watch a session of your group's one of these days.

kreynolds

First Post
Jeremy said:
We're going to have to set up a day or something that we can get together k. I'd love to watch a session of your group's one of these days.

Why is that? (I wanna take that as a compliment, but I'm not sure I'm supposed to. Could be the same kind of interest that a scientist shows for a lab rat that's just been injected with Ebola. ;))

Jeremy

Explorer
Why do I wanna watch one of your group's games? Dunno. Curiosity I guess. Because I find your take on some rules and your sense of humor interesting enough that I want to see the world you play in. :)

sheady

First Post
Jeremy said:
Why do I wanna watch one of your group's games? Dunno. Curiosity I guess. Because I find your take on some rules and your sense of humor interesting enough that I want to see the world you play in. :)

As a player in several of K's games.... He does have a wierd sense of humor, and likes to put his players through highly emotional senarios.

(And sometimes we like to throw stuff at him, when he is being a rules lawyer.) :D

-sheady

Remove ads