• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ability increasing magic items...

Gromm

First Post
kreynolds said:

So, while a Belt of Strength +6 is a meager 36,000gp, a Belt of Strength +8 would jump to 128,000gp and a Belt of Strength +10 would be 200,000gp. Likewise, a Belt of Strength +14 would jump to 588,000gp.

How's that look? (Thanks Gilmax :))

That actually doesn't look too bad IMO. It makes it expensive enough that it wouldn't be cheap or easy to do. Depends on what your DM allows, at least until the ELHB is finalized and sets the rules in stone for handling them.

kreynolds

First Post
Gromm said:
That actually doesn't look too bad IMO. It makes it expensive enough that it wouldn't be cheap or easy to do.

I thought it looked pretty good as well. Keeps the balance.

Gromm said:
Depends on what your DM allows

Well, since I'm the DM... ;) I still like to get other people's input on stuff like this. That's one of the great advantages of having a gaming group composed entirely of DMs. :D

Gromm said:
at least until the ELHB is finalized and sets the rules in stone for handling them.

Let's not go there. :)

Last edited:

FANGO

First Post
You know, there is a magic item in the DMG that adds more than +6 to a stat....sword of kas adds a +10 to str, and technically it is a magic item... :D

S'mon

Legend
kreynolds said:

That only applies to the enhancement bonus of a weapon...

+1 weapon = 3rd level caster
+2 weapon = 6th level caster
+3 weapon = 9th level caster
+4 weapon = 12th level caster
+5 weapon = 15th level caster

Yup. :D

However, I just glanced at the Ability Scores section in the front of the PH (a fellow DM found it for me), and there it states that magic items only grant bonuses to ability scores up to +6, which I think is just complete crap. *shrug*

You could say that caster level needs to be 3x the bonus, so +6 requires 18th level caster, +7 needs 21st. However since the 'real' + to-hit & dmg bonus is only half the STR bonus that seems a bit harsh - if it's 3x 'real' bonus then +6 STR (+3 to-hit) needs 9th level caster, +12 (+6 to-hit) needs 18th, and that'd be the max.

Personally I'd rule that the best you can do is a best-roll maximized empowered bull's strength forged into a permanent item - that'd be +5 STR plus +2 STR = +7 STR, likewise for the other buffing spells - and it requires 3 feats to accomplish.

kreynolds

First Post
S'mon said:
You could say that caster level needs to be 3x the bonus

I thought about that, but that's pretty much right out, and only because that kind of limitation makes perfect sense for weapons and armor. For all other items, the caster level requirement is that of the highest level spell or most powerful ability, so I'd rather stick with that. It also makes more sense to me to balance out the power of a magic item by it's cost, and not necessarily it's creator like with a weapon.

S'mon said:
Personally I'd rule that the best you can do is a best-roll maximized empowered bull's strength

Actually, you can do better than that: Maximized Empowered Empowered Bull's Strength (9th level spell) for a total of +9 to strength (or +8 if you hate odd numbered bonuses for stat increases on magic items and you'd prefer to round down).

kreynolds

First Post
sheady said:
As a player in several of K's games.... He does have a wierd sense of humor

Tell me you don't laugh. :D

sheady said:
and likes to put his players through highly emotional senarios.

Tell me you don't love it. :D

sheady said:
(And sometimes we like to throw stuff at him, when he is being a rules lawyer.) :D

I'm only a rules-lawyer when I'm a Player. ;)

Gilmax

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ability increasing magic items...

kreynolds said:

That wouldn't be me, would it? <innocent little angel face> ;)

Actually no, this one isn't you... I have my new game going with not one but two rule lawyers in it... And they make you look like a hairless pimple on a super models behind, if you believe that.

Jeremy said:
Why do I wanna watch one of your group's games? Dunno. Curiosity I guess. Because I find your take on some rules and your sense of humor interesting enough that I want to see the world you play in. :)

You find his take on some of the rules and sence of humor interesting? My god how sick are you... :)

And K, thanks for posting the idea for me... Had my sisters wedding this weekend, so I fogot to post it before the drinks, errr I mean festivities, started.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ability increasing magic items...

Gilmax said:
drinks, errr I mean festivities

Yeah. Right. Gilmax + Festivities = Drinks. There's no such thing as you and festivities that doesn't involve drinking. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads