• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ability score question...

Dwarmaj

First Post
Can a priest with an Intelligence score of "1" still cast spells even though they have the required Wisdom?

Feeblemind lowers Int and Char down to 1 and I believe prevents any spell casting. Could Touch of Idiocy (empowered and maximized) do the same thing if the targets Intellegence score was brought to 1?

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Dwarmaj said:
Can a priest with an Intelligence score of "1" still cast spells even though they have the required Wisdom?
Yes a Ceric can cast his spells even if he has an Intelligence score 1.
Dwarmaj said:
Feeblemind lowers Int and Char down to 1 and I believe prevents any spell casting. Could Touch of Idiocy (empowered and maximized) do the same thing if the targets Intellegence score was brought to 1?
No, Feeblemind prevents spellcasting because it states "The affected creature is unable to use Intelligence- or Charisma-based skills, cast spells, understand language, or communicate coherently." there is no such provision in Touch of Idiocy so it does not prevent the casting of spells because of low Intelligence unless that is the key casting ability. Touch of Idiocy may however prevent a Cleric from casting because it also lowers the target's Wisdom and Charisma scores as as the target's Intelligence score.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
LGodamus said:
I disagree.I think you need at least an INT of 3 to cast spells or speak......
Would you mind citing a rule reference I have not been able to find a rule that states that?

A cleric with an intelligence of 1 should have a hard time analyzing the situation and determining what spell should be cast / would be the most useful, but that's more a role-playing aspect. There isn't, however, any rule that prevents the cleric from casting whatever spell.

AR

jgsugden

Legend
Camarath said:
Would you mind citing a rule reference I have not been able to find a rule that states that?
I don't think there is a rule citation to support this directly, but anything less than a 3 is animal intelligence. A 1 is a dumb animal's intelligence.

If you can't comprehend what spellcasting is, you should be unable to cast spells. This is up to a DM determination, but it seems pretty clear to me that if you consider what a 1 intelligence represents, spellcasting should be impossible.

James McMurray

First Post
A creature of humanlike intelligence has a score of at least 3.

An intelligence of 1 is an animal's intellect. A creature with an animal's intellect cannot advance in a character class, so why would it possibly be able to cast spells?

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
jgsugden said:
I don't think there is a rule citation to support this directly, but anything less than a 3 is animal intelligence. A 1 is a dumb animal's intelligence.

If you can't comprehend what spellcasting is, you should be unable to cast spells. This is up to a DM determination, but it seems pretty clear to me that if you consider what a 1 intelligence represents, spellcasting should be impossible.
I don't have a problem with it as a DM ruling I was just wondering if there was an actual rule that stated that. Although in my opinion rote repetition of memorized spell components would not require a very large degree of intelligence or comprehension.

Last edited:

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
James McMurray said:
An intelligence of 1 is an animal's intellect. A creature with an animal's intellect cannot advance in a character class, so why would it possibly be able to cast spells?
Is there a rule that states that creatures with an Intelligence scores of less than 3 can not advance in a character classes?

Remove ads