• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

About Constrict

dnlas

First Post
I build a druid character who's familiar with snakes only (7durid/1fighter)
This build has Power Attack and Greater Grapple feat
In battle, I transform into Constrictor Snake and trying to bite and grab foe

my question is
a, If foe is bited ,do I auto-grap him or I should make a CMB check?
b, If I have to make a CMB check and I success, Does Constrict work in this check?
c,If I active Power Attack mode, Constrict gained dmg bound ,too?
d,Because I have Greater Grapple , I can maintain grapple as a move action. It means I can Constrict foe two times/turn ?
e,Any advice for this build ?

My engilsh is not good. sry:eek:

Dingo333

First Post
So, Idealy here is what you do

Turn into Snake

Attempt to bite, Hit, deal damage and use grab. You gain grab because of the constrictor has it and you are useing BS2 which lists it as something you can get.

You then make your CMB check, grab only allows you to do it as a free actiion (note you gain a +4 to grapple via grab)

Your total grapple should be Bab +5 +STR (note your str is 4 higher from wild shaping) +4 from feats, +4 from grab +1 size for at least a +16 assuming a base str of 10

Then, each round you do constrict damage. in this case 1d6+STR+PA(2). You can only constrict once, as part of maintaining the grapple, you can attempt to bite your foe though with the same amount of damage

I suggest seeing if your DM will let you take the monster feat Improved Natural Attack Bite. If he will, your bite damage die increases (to 1d8) increasing your constrict too

Another option, get Eldritch Heritage Serpentine Snake Fangs. This will allow you to add poison damage to your bite (increasing as you level)

Last edited:

tylermalan

First Post
If a monster is grappled by a PC, and then a friendly snake attacks that same monster, what happens with the snake's free grab attempt? Can the snake use that attempt to "aid another" to increase the PC's chances of maintaining the grapple next turn?

dnlas

First Post
So, Idealy here is what you do

Turn into Snake

Attempt to bite, Hit, deal damage and use grab. You gain grab because of the constrictor has it and you are useing BS2 which lists it as something you can get.

You then make your CMB check, grab only allows you to do it as a free actiion (note you gain a +4 to grapple via grab)

Your total grapple should be Bab +5 +STR (note your str is 4 higher from wild shaping) +4 from feats, +4 from grab +1 size for at least a +16 assuming a base str of 10

Then, each round you do constrict damage. in this case 1d6+STR+PA(2). You can only constrict once, as part of maintaining the grapple, you can attempt to bite your foe though with the same amount of damage

I suggest seeing if your DM will let you take the monster feat Improved Natural Attack Bite. If he will, your bite damage die increases (to 1d8) increasing your constrict too

Another option, get Eldritch Heritage Serpentine Snake Fangs. This will allow you to add poison damage to your bite (increasing as you level)

Thx

I have another question:

Can I from the larger snake such as constrict snake in gaint-size?

If not , is there any benefit to use Serpent Shaman?( Druid Archetypes‎ )

IS improved Feint (Serpent Shaman bound feat replaces venom immunity) useful in my build ?

Last edited:

Dingo333

First Post
I believe you an use wild shape to take larger forms (ie applying the giant template) Increasing the damage dice of an attack (and more str from larger size)

There is also the benefit of the snake bite and the scales from serpent shaman archtype

And then the totem summons ability is always good

Improved Feint is iffy, it doesnt get good till after you have greater feint and you need a high bluff to make it work

Remove ads