• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Absorb elements

xxluzdarkxx

First Post
Had a situation where the dm used meteor shower on the party. As my reaction I chose to do absorb elements on the fire damage portion of the spell. DM says I wouldn't be able to do it. Wanted others opinion on it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
Had a situation where the dm used meteor shower on the party. As my reaction I chose to do absorb elements on the fire damage portion of the spell. DM says I wouldn't be able to do it. Wanted others opinion on it.

RAW there is no reason you could not, but it would only give you resistance to the fire half. (Assuming you had a reaction and a spell slot left, that is)

xxluzdarkxx

First Post
RAW there is no reason you could not, but it would only give you resistance to the fire half. (Assuming you had a reaction and a spell slot left, that is)
I had a spell slot and reaction. I overall think he just wanted to kill the party and didn't like the fact I could live through it lol

Joddy37

First Post

You can cast absorb elements as a reaction to the meteor shower. The shower hits you and is resolved first. Then you cast absorb elements and become resistant to fire until your next turn. Your spell doesn't give you resistance against the meteor shower itself but against other possible fire based attacks after that.

Edit: Oh no. I double checked and confirmed that absorb elements does give resistance against the shower also.

Sent from my SM-G900FQ using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
You can cast absorb elements as a reaction to the meteor shower. The shower hits you and is resolved first. Then you cast absorb elements and become resistant to fire until your next turn. Your spell doesn't give you resistance against the meteor shower itself but against other possible fire based attacks after that.

Sent from my SM-G900FQ using Tapatalk

Pretty sure the spell does protect you from the trigger, the description states "The spell captures some of the incoming energy, lessening its effect on you".

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
By the wording of the spell, yes you can.
By "rule zero", no you can't.

The real question is, Why are you playing a game where the DM is trying to kill the party?

OzDragon

First Post
It was a one shot.

I personally think this is a horrible reason to kill the party. PCs are heroes and should always have a chance to live through something. Either by defeating it or running away or making a deal. I would not play with a DM who just kills a party cause he can. That might be what he thinks of as fun but I don't.

I personally think this is a horrible reason to kill the party. PCs are heroes and should always have a chance to live through something. Either by defeating it or running away or making a deal. I would not play with a DM who just kills a party cause he can. That might be what he thinks of as fun but I don't.

Mostly I agree with this. A possible exception: running a one-shot in your existing campaign world with your current players. You give pre-gen low level PCs to your players, who get a chance to explore some unknown part of the world that their regular higher level characters have not seen. The low level PCs gather intelligence and manage to get it to a helpful NPC, before the low level party is wiped out. Or were they all wiped out? Lots of ways to bring one of them back as an NPC or a PC in a future one-shot, if you wanted.

Remove ads