• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Abundant Step + Charge = bonuses?

Kazuel

First Post
Now I'm not sure exactly how this would work because I don't have a PHB handy. Can a monk make a charge attack, using the abundant step ability to either switch targets or hit from the rear or anything to that effect and if so, what kind of bonuses would he get. Would the victim of such an attack be considered flatfooted or denied his dex bonus like a fient? How would you deal with this?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
It doesn't work very well at all.

Abundant Step (Su): At 12th level or higher, a monk can slip magically between spaces, as if using the spell dimension door, once per day. Her caster level for this effect is one-half her monk level (rounded down).

Dimension Door
Conjuration (Teleportation)
You instantly transfer yourself from your current location to any other spot within range. You always arrive at exactly the spot desired—whether by simply visualizing the area or by stating direction. After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn.

-Hyp.

Kazuel

First Post

Ok what about in conjunction with the Sun School [Tactical] feat?

Sun School [Tactical]
You have learned a number of exoteric martial arts techniques inspired by the sun.
Prerequisites: Flurry of blows ability, base attack bonus + 4.
Benifit: The Sun School feat enables the use of the three tactical maneuvers.
Inexorable Progress of Dawn: To use this manuever, you must hit the same foe with the first two unarmed attacks from a flurry of blows. If you do, your foe must move back 5 feet, and you may move 5 feet forwar if you wish. This movement does not provoke an attack of opportunity for either character.
Blinding Sun of Noon:To use this this maneuver, you must successfully stun the same foe with an unarmed attack two rounds in a row. In addition to being stunned, that enemy is confused for 1D4 rounds thereafter.
Flash of Sunset: To use this maneuver, you must move adjacent to a foeinstantaneously, as with a dimension door spell or the monk's abundant step class feature. If you do so, you can immediately make a single attack at your highest attack bonus against that foe.

I know I included more info than was needed but I like to list complete discriptions and stuff. Anyway, what about using that feat how would that work in conjuction with a charge? Does any of this make any difference?

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Kazuel said:
Flash of Sunset: To use this maneuver, you must move adjacent to a foeinstantaneously, as with a dimension door spell or the monk's abundant step class feature. If you do so, you can immediately make a single attack at your highest attack bonus against that foe.

I know I included more info than was needed but I like to list complete discriptions and stuff. Anyway, what about using that feat how would that work in conjuction with a charge? Does any of this make any difference?

It makes a difference, in that without Flash of Sunset, you can't Abundant Step and then attack in the same round, but with Flash of Sunset, you can.

However, you can't Charge (a Full Round action) and use Abundant Step (a Standard action) in the same round.

Strictly, the only benefits you'd get would be if the foe was flat-footed anyway. If he knows you're there, then just using Flash of Sunset won't deny him his Dex bonus.

It lets you suddenly attack someone from a lot further away, but doesn't give you any special surprise benefit.

-Hyp.

Remove ads