• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Action Dice

Xaov

First Post
What do you guys think about the action dice setup. Personally I think its a really nice system. If you get screwed on an important roll you can use an action dice and get yourself out of it. I think it just helps you get out of those really close calls with your head in tact.

what do you guys think?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I think it's a nice system, but not flexible enough. As it is, it's heavily geared towards fighter-types. It'd be nice to use some other options.

Klaus

First Post
That'd be the "Boost Defense" option in Unearthed Arcana. Basically, spend an action point to double the AC benefits of Fighting Defensively and Total Defense.

I love the "Emulate Feat" option, meself.

Dracomeander

First Post
My biggest problem with the basic application of action dice is with my dice. I rarely find a chance to use them since my dice tend to roll well above the target number or so far below that an action die won't help.

Unforntunately, the groups I'm in don't use the optional uses of action dice found in UA. :(

shilsen

Adventurer
The action point system has worked great in my two Eberron campaigns. Especially the special "Save My Ass" usage I instituted (take 3 action pts) which is usually utilized to turn a killing blow or effect into one that leaves you comatose and stable at -9. Without that one, I'd have over half a dozen deaths in fifteen sessions in the first campaign and two deaths in six sessions in the second.

Old One

First Post
Love 'em...

I really like APs. I have been using some type of Hero Points/Action Points for some time, but the "turning point" for me was the release of Grim Tales. I have taken the AP mechanic from GT, home-brewed it a bit and come up with the result in the attached file.

I would also consider adding "Emulate Feat" to this list as well...

~ OO

PS - I Also like the "Exploding Dice" variant as well...where you get to roll an additional action die if you roll a "6" on the d6. There is not limit to the number of times you can do this...as long as you keep rolling sixes. This helps defray the "it isn't helpful if I roll a low number" problem...since there is always a chance you will get an exploding dice. This can also be combined with the level-based "roll more dice and bick the best"...so levels 1-6 would roll 1d6, levels 7-12 would roll 2d6 and levels 13+ would roll 3d6, taking the best result. Clearly, the chances of rolling a 6 and qualifying for exploding dice ramp up quickly under this system.

Attachments

• Revised Action Points.doc
    22 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Remove ads