• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Action Points, which system to use?

Ace32

Explorer
I'm getting ready to run a couple of 3.5e DnD solo games and I'm looking to let my player have some extra heroics. I know there are a number of sources for action points, but I'm not sure which is best to use?

Does anybody have any good anecdotes or advice on the different action point systems in various books?

Scion

First Post
I use the one out of eberron with a few modifications.. most notably the refresh rate of 'per day' rather than 'per level' (wow I hate the per level refresh) and the amount.

I give an amount per day of: 1/2 level + cha mod (round down, min 0)

and the uses are generally the same as those in the book along with some extra feats which can be used with them.

So far it has worked out great. One person went for max useage while another didnt care at all. The first makes sure to use all of them each day and get some good mileage out of them while the second has more definative options (slightly higher prime score, feats which are able to be used more times per day, that sort of thing).

I havent seen any problems as of yet and I do not expect to see any in the future.

I changed it to per day to make it integrate with the system better. Levels happen too randomly to really be able to think of it as an actual character perk and if someone actually spends resources on boosting them somehow then a good portion of their character becomes useless after awhile.. gah.

Anyway, that is what I have to say on the matter ;)

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
For my dollar, I've always preferred the minor points of GrimTales AP system.

For one, it sort of spurs people toward using their APs. They "refresh" instead of accrue ... not that I think a huge pool of unused APs at 10th is "unbalanced", but I like to see people using them.

For another, it has a great system for "Handing Out" APs. It's a simple set of otherwise "house rules" but when everybody is square, it actually ADDS to the fun. And it's a great player-mollifier. "Man, I just got critted ... ooo, AP!" "Dude, where's my car ... ooo, AP!" etc etc. The guy that love APs brings chips often ... cool.

It's the system I use for all of my games.

--fje

brehobit

Explorer
One thing I've added (and like) is having pools refresh only after a week of downtime. It gives the party members a strong desire to _rest_, get to know some town, etc. I mainly run outdoor stuff...

Mark

Scion said:
I changed it to per day to make it integrate with the system better. Levels happen too randomly to really be able to think of it as an actual character perk and if someone actually spends resources on boosting them somehow then a good portion of their character becomes useless after awhile.. gah.
Actually, level increases can be predicted quite well, even if the time might vary strongly - if you use the standard XP system, that is. If the players take long to level, they probably have a lot of easy encounters and situations where they don't need there action points (and the action point fueled special powers).
But I admit, I am not a fan of using levels to gain action points, either.

A thing to consider is not only the question when action points reset or accumulate at the chosen interval.
Accumulating can make waiting for special abilities fueled by Action Points more rewarding (see a Fast Hero/Gunslinger in D20 Modern, that is eagerly awaiting his Bull's Eye ability), but it can also unbalance the characters (while in the "collect"-phase, the character will seem weaker as the rest, but in the "burn"-phase, he gains power).
Resetting forces people to use their action points, but if they are not required between the reset phases, it feels like wasting important powers.

If you want to take Action Points to extreme, the Token mechanics of Iron Heroes are great, but they would need a lot of work to incorporate into the regular class system, I think.
The advantage of Iron Heroes is that you can decice yourself if you want to have action points (Tokens) and spend time (resources) to it. You can do without your Tokens, if you like, or you gather Tokens and then use them for your "special moves".

Ace32

Explorer
Thanks for the pointers guys.

I'll probably go with the Eberron system, but per game.

You mentioned a few specific feats to go with your system, were you referring to feats from Eberron that are activated by AP's (1/day type things) or some that you've made yourself?

irdeggman

First Post
I was talking about ones in the settiing rules for Eberron. There are some in most every book for the setting, core rules, races of and magic of all have some.

Remove ads