D&D 2E AD&D 2e - Player's Options ?

ccs

41st lv DM
The thought of Thac0 alone pretty much ensures I'll never play 2E again because I dont remember how attack anything.

~Sigh~
Step 1: You spend 5 minutes once & write yourself out a 1e style chart.
Step 2: You roll the dice, you apply whatever modifiers, &....
Step 3: You look at the chart & report what AC you've hit.

Zardnaar

Legend
Something I did like about the skills and powers/spells and magic options is for making priests of specific gods. Rather than allowing a player to go crazy creating an OP cleric (I'm told this is what people had done in the past) the DM can use the rules to create speciality priests.

Specialty bPriests were a bit different. Custom ones use cleric xp.

You can get every school f macic and say minor access to the healing domain.

Pocket wizard with armor, can pray for the spells, d8 hit dice, heavy armor etc. Hence why I said under DM control.

R_J_K75

Legend
I replaced the standard 2e system with one that was much quicker, though less gritter. My players made me put the standard one back haha. They really like rolling each round and then adding the initiative modifier to see when their action comes. Go figure :D

I liked the concept of the changing initiative every round, and used it for many years, but I couldn't imagine going back to it now. I do remember it being terrifying when you know whatever you were fighting was down to close to zero hit points and you had maybe one attack left before you were dead and had to roll initiative. Winning initiative sometimes was exciting and a feat in and of itself. I'm starting a new campaign in the next few weeks so maybe I'll run it by my players and see if they like the idea.

R_J_K75

Legend
~Sigh~
Step 1: You spend 5 minutes once & write yourself out a 1e style chart.
Step 2: You roll the dice, you apply whatever modifiers, &....
Step 3: You look at the chart & report what AC you've hit.

Wasn't the whole point of Thac0 to make it so you didn't have to "spend 5 minutes once & write yourself out a 1e style chart"?

ccs

41st lv DM
Yes. We used them for a bit when they came out.
All that happened was a crap load of complexity, min/maxing & wrecking of games as DMs allowed everything & anything. No game I was in or familiar with survived contact with this stuff.
I was not a fan.
I never personally ran a game that used any of this stuff. And I never will.

About 4 years ago the DM who was running the 1e game at the shop decided that he wanted to convert the game to 2e & use (all of) this crap.
Only he & I had any xp using this stuff, and he was, & still is, NOT up to running a game involving any of it, let alone all of it. We're the only two who owned the books (full set each)
I argued against it. Especially using all of it. I told the group about my experiences & what I'd witnessed.
I was out voted.
Ok, fine.
I declared that I would not be complicit in crashing the game. Thus I would not be providing the use of my copies of these books. (We're all well paid adults. So if you want a copy go hit EBay etc, find yourself a pirate PDF, or share the DMs....)
The DM declared that everyone would have 150k xp to split between lvs etc as we pleased.
I had my character (a vary conservative build considering my options - but then I knew what was coming & what a waste anything more would turn out to be) done that evening.

The game went on hiatus for three weeks as 7 other players digested 3-4 entire books & essentially a whole rules system in order to create characters.
The min/max that followed was easily the equal of anything I'd witnessed before.

The resulting game lasted two weeks.

I didn't even have to say "I told you so".

ccs

41st lv DM
Wasn't the whole point of Thac0 to make it so you didn't have to "spend 5 minutes once & write yourself out a 1e style chart"?

Maybe. But when you have to constantly spend 5 minutes explaining how to do math each time peoples turns come around....
I don't know, what do you think sounds like the better option:
  • Spend 5 minutes ONCE.
  • Spend 5 minutes every half-hour or so.
To get the same result.

Honestly I suspect it was just to save page space/ink.

R_J_K75

Legend
The DM declared that everyone would have 150k xp to split between lvs etc as we pleased.

If Im understanding correctly you each started above first level? If that's the case talking about the DM adding insult to injury. Not only are we switching to a system no one except 2 people are familiar with or own books for, then adding options to it and btw we'll start at 5th level. Its a miracle you played at all. As a player and DM we used all those books but even after having read and digested them we knew enough to limit the amount of options we let into the game.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Specialty bPriests were a bit different. Custom ones use cleric xp.

You can get every school f macic and say minor access to the healing domain.

Pocket wizard with armor, can pray for the spells, d8 hit dice, heavy armor etc. Hence why I said under DM control.
I know they were different, their xp chart was based on the druid which was rather punishing at higher levels unless you used the demihuman deities xp instead of the druid xp chart. I like to take the cleric's 120 points and create a speciality priest from scratch and just use the cleric xp chart. Keep that more or less in the hands of the DM and you don't end up with too much power creep.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Yes. We used them for a bit when they came out.
All that happened was a crap load of complexity, min/maxing & wrecking of games as DMs allowed everything & anything. No game I was in or familiar with survived contact with this stuff.
I was not a fan.
I never personally ran a game that used any of this stuff. And I never will.

About 4 years ago the DM who was running the 1e game at the shop decided that he wanted to convert the game to 2e & use (all of) this crap.
Only he & I had any xp using this stuff, and he was, & still is, NOT up to running a game involving any of it, let alone all of it. We're the only two who owned the books (full set each)
I argued against it. Especially using all of it. I told the group about my experiences & what I'd witnessed.
I was out voted.
Ok, fine.
I declared that I would not be complicit in crashing the game. Thus I would not be providing the use of my copies of these books. (We're all well paid adults. So if you want a copy go hit EBay etc, find yourself a pirate PDF, or share the DMs....)
I had my character (a vary conservative build considering my options - but then I knew what was coming & what a waste anything more would turn out to be) done that evening.

The game went on hiatus for three weeks as 7 other players digested 3-4 entire books & essentially a whole rules system in order to create characters.
The min/max that followed was easily the equal of anything I'd witnessed before.

The resulting game lasted two weeks.

I didn't even have to say "I told you so".
I think if I went back to 2e I'd use some of the books but not all of it. I wouldn't use sub ability scores and much of the combat book would be thrown out except for the various fighting styles and mastery rules, weapon groups would become the new proficiency groups rather than individual weapons. Rather than a lot of individual customisation of classes, I'd probably just allow the base classes initially.

R_J_K75

Legend
Maybe. But when you have to constantly spend 5 minutes explaining how to do math each time peoples turns come around....
I don't know, what do you think sounds like the better option:
  • Spend 5 minutes ONCE.
  • Spend 5 minutes every half-hour or so.
To get the same result.

Honestly I suspect it was just to save page space/ink.

Anyway you look at it, it just wasn't a very good system as far as I remember imo.

Remove ads