D&D 5E Addicted to multiclassing

How often do you multiclass your characters?

ECMO3

Hero
The only subclass I ever play without multiclassing is Bladesinger Wizard.

With a Bladesinger slowing down your ASIs, spell progression and increasing the time you get to level 6 and 10 (which are two of the best subclass features in the game), make it a very high price to pay .... although I do multiclass them simetimes too, with a a 4-level Rogue dip or 1-level Warlock dip being most common. I am about to play a bladesinger with a 4-level Cavalier dip, we will see how that goes.

With everything else I can always find advantages a 1-level dip that will provide solid, objective benefits at some point over slowing you down - Rogues get expertise, skills and proficiencies, fighters and Rangers get martial weapons, Warlocks, Clerics and Sorcerers get subclass abilities and Barbarians get Rage. Other than a bladesinger it is hard to find a case where your character would not be substantially better with one of those at a minimum at some point in your career.

People claim that slowing the progression to level 5 for either multiattack or 5th level spells will make your character far worse, but I find that is not generally true. On a 1-level dip it will hurt a character at 5th level, but generally be better at level 2-4 and better again at level 6+. I also find even at 5th level, when the dispartiy is greatest, cantrips can cover a substantial part of the ground you are losing with extra attack.

The most common secondary classes for me are Rogue, Warlock (undead or fathomless) or Shadow Sorcerer, with a 1-level dip being most common.

Shadow Sorcerer in particular will let you have your cake and eat it too with Human giving awesome darkvision to cover that glaring gap, while also getting a full caster level, 4 cantrips, 2 spells and a save against going to 0hps all on a 1 level dip.

If you are playing in a campaign with water or swimming a fathomless is almost a must on a non-aquatic race. I can take another level in fighter and look for potions of water breathing and grab a spear so I am not swinging my maul at disadvantage and I still will move at half speed ..... or I can take a single level in fathomless, breath water, swing my maul no problem and have a higher speed in water than on land PLUS the spells and cantrips of a 1-level Warlock? Hex me up!

If you are playing a melee build Undead Warlock form of dread for free temp hps plus a fear ability and a short rest spell slot on a 1-level dip is great.

Here are some of the coolest and most thematic 1-level or 2-level dips I have played:
Sailor Background Fathomless Warlock 1/Tempest Cleric
Haunted One Damphir Shadow Sorcerer 1/Undead Warlock (Strahd Patron)
Renegade female Drow Undead Warlock 2/Bladesinger (Kiearansalee Patron)
Human Rogue 1/Rune Knight (human grappler build with expertise in Athletics and tavern brawler)
Goblin Rogue 1/Fey Wanderer Ranger

Some of the most mechancially powerful multiclassess I played for their levels (levels at game end). These all had race and class features that are highly complimentary.
Arcane Trickster 4/Bladesinger 11
Mountain Dwarf Enchantment Wizard 6/Order Cleric 9 (caster in plate with a 10 Strength, 20 Wisdom, used hypnotic gaze and then cast enchantments as a bonus action, also had dissonant whispers on a wisdom save through Fey Touched)
Dragonborn Fey Wanderer Ranger 11/Whispers Bard 4 (Dragon Fear, Fey Reinforcements, Beguiling Twist)

Last edited:

Zeddok

Villager
I love generalist characters with a nice specialty here and there, therfore my love is and will always be a rogue/druid or a monk/druid.

If I would play 5e (still "stuck" with 3.5), I would build a rogue 1/monk 1/ druid rest.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
How much do you multiclass when you're playing 5E or just having fun making up a build concept?

When I get to play, which thankfully has been more and more lately, once I get my subclass I start looking at a new class because often that other class meets the vision for the character more so than continuing on in the first class.

Also, the second level of subclass features are typically lackluster so aren't really compelling me to stick with it.

Now, sure, in a RAW game I would lose out on ASIs, but even so usually the benefits of a new class (and subclass) far outweigh a single ASI.

So, I'm curious about others and when they play, how much do they multiclass.

As always, thanks to any and all for contributing! :)
I usually just dip for armor. Honestly? I like the elegance and feats of single classing.

If I do “dip” it’s thematically there and appropriate. For example, I had a cleric (devoted to 7 heavens) warlock (celestial warlock—devoted to a fallen angel trying to be good again, unlike Zariel).

They were saving eachother—-the mercenary was saved by a repentant angel. By saving a torn up grizzled human, the fallen angel was working his way back. By serving an angel, the formerly LN mercenary veteran was finding new meaning.

All of that to say if I do it, multiclassing, it has to “work.”

But yes the dip gave me some level one slots and utility to be a harald of the angel. So yes to improve abilities but also for theme. And armor. I love me the armor.

Often I just use feats. I have a cleric (death cleric of wee Jas) who did heavily armored at level 1…

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I have the advantage of having data :D (a list of all PCs I've ever played) - 10.7% of my PCs have been multi-classed (in D&D and D&D like systems) if my list correct that is.

I don't like multiclassing for a number of reasons - in 5e it's often clunky, for a spellcaster delaying your spells is a huge cost to play, and I'm not a big fan of people "mixing magical power source" from a thematic point of view. However, sometimes - it does work well.

edit: Lastly, I'll note that not only multiclassing in 5e is a bit clunky and can really hurt your PC if not done properly, I feel there is less "need" to do so - with the combo of subclasses and backgrounds, it's quite easy to do a "soft" multiclass. One of my recent PC was a Rune Knight with the ritual caster feat and the sage background. He was single glass... but he kind of was a wizard too.
Qft

Feats Do a lot—-especially post Tasha’s.

Then add background. That’s a lot covered right there.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I really hate the "one level dip" aspect of multiclassing. Feels cheesy and immersion breaking for me.

Oh - I suspect the title of this post may mess with the results. People who don't like multiclassing probably aren't clicking on it.

I think it really depends on the dip, from an "aesthetics" points of view. Now this is a matter of taste, so there is no "right" answer, but if, for example, a dex based fighter took a level of rogue (or vice versa), I'm 100% ok with this.

But one level dips in character concepts that imply a "devotion" to something - a cause, a god, whatever - seems strange to me. Like say, take the sorlock. So you're a sorcerer, you have POWER IN YOUR BLOOD. Why on earth would you make a pact with some dubious entity? I'm sure someone can come up with a good reason but... it feels... implausible to me.

Remove ads