• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Adding a little 4E to my Pathfinder

Tom Ponzi

First Post
Ok, I am wearing my flame retardant shorts, but go easy all the same.

Now that I have your attention, I was thinking of adding two teeny, weeny little bits of 4E to my PFRPG.

1) Marking - My fighter loved the idea that threatened opponents ignored him at their peril.

2) Moving my allies about the board on my go with Powers like Covering Attack and Get Over here.

I was toying with the idea of making these feats as I did not really want to make them class abilities.

Here are my thoughts so far.

Mark - As a swift action you mark an enemy you have just attacked (not necessarily hit). Until the beginning of your next turn, should that enemy make a melee attack against someone else, and they are threatened by you, you get an attack of opportunity.

Greater Mark - As mark above except that it is now a free action and the target suffers a -2 penalty on all melee attacks where you are not the target. Prerequisites: Mark, BAB6+?? Maybe more??

Covering Attack - As a standard action you make a melee attack at -2. If you hit, an ally adjacent to the target gets to make a 5-foot step as an immediate action.

Get Over Here - As Covering attack, but this time it is in place of a melee attack, rather than a standard action. Can only be applied once per target per round, but can be used more than once per round. Prerequsites: Covering Attack, BAB 6+??

Good idea, bad idea? Have I just broken the game?

kitsune9

Adventurer
Hey Tom,

Welcome to the boards! I don't think you've broken the game. If you want to take your Pathfinder game and add more 4e-ishyness, go for it. I wouldn't have mind some way to have smaller stat blocks myself.... ;)

In looking at these as maybe feats, I think the ideas are fairly cool.

yeah I'd love a monster generator which makes close enough monsters with the discrete 4E still stat blocks. That is probably the main thing for me as a DM.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Ok, I am wearing my flame retardant shorts, but go easy all the same.

Now that I have your attention, I was thinking of adding two teeny, weeny little bits of 4E to my PFRPG.

1) Marking - My fighter loved the idea that threatened opponents ignored him at their peril.

2) Moving my allies about the board on my go with Powers like Covering Attack and Get Over here.

I was toying with the idea of making these feats as I did not really want to make them class abilities.

Here are my thoughts so far.

Mark - As a swift action you mark an enemy you have just attacked (not necessarily hit). Until the beginning of your next turn, should that enemy make a melee attack against someone else, and they are threatened by you, you get an attack of opportunity.

Greater Mark - As mark above except that it is now a free action and the target suffers a -2 penalty on all melee attacks where you are not the target. Prerequisites: Mark, BAB6+?? Maybe more??

Covering Attack - As a standard action you make a melee attack at -2. If you hit, an ally adjacent to the target gets to make a 5-foot step as an immediate action.

Get Over Here - As Covering attack, but this time it is in place of a melee attack, rather than a standard action. Can only be applied once per target per round, but can be used more than once per round. Prerequsites: Covering Attack, BAB 6+??

Good idea, bad idea? Have I just broken the game?

I think these might be good feats, but I think Get Over Here is not done like the 4E power.

jreyst

First Post
you picked 2 things i dislike, but it's your gaame. If you want to use such rules there isn't a thing wrong with useing them with it

Completely agree. It's your game, do as you like and whatever you enjoy. I'm with Hunter in Darkness though, you picked two of the specific things I specifically dislike about 4E lol.

Rechan

Adventurer
I'm not as familiar with PF fighters. But if they get talents or extra stuff, I can easily see dropping these things into their class features.

Otherwise? I think they make great feats. These look fine to me.

You might even beef up the Mark feats with something like this:

Improved Mark
Pre-req: Marking

Benefit: Not only do you get an extra attack if the target does not attack you, but if the target takes a 5' step away from you, you may make an attack of opportunity.

Remathilis

Legend
I added the bloodied condition and 1-1-1 diagonal movement.

I also added 3e-style action points.

Its nice to have a house-rule list go from 7 pages to 1. Course, I'm sure that will change as the game progresses...

erisred

First Post
No, you aren't breaking Pathfinder with that...IMO, anyway, but I'm not a big "rules as written" sort of guy, anyway.

I've been playing/DMing for over 30 years now, and I've always used something like Marked...if an attacker is in melee with a "target" and the target ignores or moves away the attacker gets an attack of opportunity and/or some positive dm's on a to hit roll. For me and the folks I play with that's always been common sense. Works that way on ranged attacks, too.

As for "covering attack/fire", sure! A PC would have to say something like , "I'm covering Dak, so he can move back." or "Me and Bill charge the Orcs to block them, Joe get your ass behind us!" Then we "work it out"...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's common sense.

For us, it's not so much rules, as it is common sense that steers things.

Remove ads