• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adding new abilities to specific magic weapons/armor

atomn

Explorer
In regards to adding new abilities to a magic item the SRD says: "A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions. The cost to do this is the same as if the item was not magical. Thus, a +1 longsword can be made into a +2 vorpal longsword, with the cost to create it being equal to that of a +2 vorpal sword minus the cost of a +1 sword."

Can a specific magic item, such as an Oathbow or Banded Mail of Luck, have any new abilities added to it? And if yes, how do you determine the specific item's effective bonus (enhancement plus special ability bonus equivalents) so that it doesn't go higher than +10 when the new ability is added? Thanks!!

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
This was hashed out a little while ago in this thread:

Cost to add +1 ability to Specific Weapon

It was rather contentious, but a fairly common conclusion (I am not sure if it constitutes a consensus) was that you ignored the special abilities/restrictions of the base item, and tried to boil it down to being a plussed item. The special abilities are a flat plus gp value.

For instance, a banded mail of luck is basically +3 banded mail which would cost 9,400 gp. The "luck" portion is thus 9,500 gp (The difference between its cost of 18,900 and that of the plain +3 banded mail). And so if you wanted to make banded mail of luck with a +5 bonus, work out the cost of +5 banded mail and add 9,500 gp.

I also got the impression that the improvement had to be made to the base item; you can't add the "of luck" property to chainmail, full plate, or whatever. It has to be banded mail. And you can't subtract out abilities you don't want (to get a cheaper sunblade for instance).

Some items are very problematic with this method. For instance, is the base weapon for a dwarven thrower a +2 warhammer, or a +3 returning warhammer?

Ender_rpm

First Post
yup, thats what i did to an oathbow for a game this last weekend. Its a +2 Bane bow (+3 total) plus 7600 for being able to choose what the bane is on a case by case basis. I added ghost touch, shocking burst, and seeking. Expensive, but when only the best will do :)

atomn

Explorer
Ender_rpm said:
yup, thats what i did to an oathbow for a game this last weekend. Its a +2 Bane bow (+3 total) plus 7600 for being able to choose what the bane is on a case by case basis. I added ghost touch, shocking burst, and seeking. Expensive, but when only the best will do :)

Slick! This will help me in adding the Halfweight property to Devilhusk.

Ender_rpm

First Post
I'm assuming thats some sort of armor? BTW, wher ein b'more you from? I'm in Tampa, FL, but spent the last 10 years in and around there, specifically Catonsville.

atomn

Explorer
Yeah, it's a Medium weight armor that I wanted to be Light so a Reaping Mauler could use it.

I'm actually right in the city, in the Charles Village area. I don't care what our record says, Baltimore is a great city!! (Although I'm not too familiar with Catonsville.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads