• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Adjust your clocks!) Spring Ahead, Fall Behind and Time-Keeping in your World!

Keeping Time in your game

• By looking at the Sun, the Moon and the Stars

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Sun Dials are Common

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Melting Candles Keep the Time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sand Hourglasses

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Water Clocks

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Pendulum Mechanical Clocks

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • We Use Electronics

• Common Magical Devices

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Fancy-Schmancy Magical Means of Keeping Time

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other Natural, Mechnical or Magical Means

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
IMC its Sun (Dawn, Noon, Dusk - also Solstices and Equinox), Moon (Nights of a 30 day Month) and Stars (Seasonal Changes - New Years with the rise of Pleiades)

iirc in Medieval times time keeping in many cities was according to Catholic ritual (and the chiming of the Bells) - Monks were required to do various prayers throughout the day and these were marked by Bells. The Comon folk used these bells to tell the time by. (Very similar to the Muslim prayer schedule)

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
LOL! Good one, Chucku! :D

BillyBeanbag said:
This is a good question! I'm getting ready to begin running a city campaign, and I'm hoping to help do this through the changing of the guards.

At least in the character's home neighborhood, they will know its Second watch when they see good old Officer Barbrady telling the crowd "nothing to see here, please move along."

In urban areas, did people really call out "Seven o'clock and all's well!" ?

Also the Steam Gnomes might actually have a time-keeper in the city, but I'm still reading the book.

I really don't know how life in the medieval cities really was, Did shops really close up at dark every day? I might have to make this place a little more progressive if that's the case, especially if these characters are all wanting to be part of one guild or religion or something at the start of game...

I forgot to have the possibility of a single time keeping device for a town (such as a church tower bell) or even a town crier who keeps a timepiece and shouts it out at intervals. :)

Last edited:

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
For a pretty interesting discussion of man's quest to figure out what bloody time it is, check out a book called The Discoverers by Daniel Boorstin. I found it fascinating how much history has been influenced by the search for an accurate timepiece.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
MeepoTheMighty said:
For a pretty interesting discussion of man's quest to figure out what bloody time it is, check out a book called The Discoverers by Daniel Boorstin. I found it fascinating how much history has been influenced by the search for an accurate timepiece.

Good call, Meepo! Boorstin has written a whole pile of useful books for gamers (especially DMs/Worldbuilders) to mine for helpful ideas. I have a copy of The Creators on my shelf as well. :)

haiiro

First Post
Nifft said:
Cantrips (and Orisons). The equivalent of "Know Direction".
I really like this idea -- thank you. :)

I've always used a combination of sun position (good enough for most people most of the time), timed candles, and rare clockwork devices.

s/LaSH

First Post
MeepoTheMighty said:

Great book. I liked the Chinese clock - what was it, seventh century? Three stories tall, little men who come out with hammers and hit bells or something. A great way of driving home how primitive Western culture was until comparatively recently. Does anyone else use superior technology for other civilisations beyond the 'hub'? It's medievally realistic...

I'm running in the historical 12th century, so I'd better vote correspondingly...

s/LaSH

First Post
EDIT: Voops, IE decayed and stopped responding while I was posting this - hence double post.

Last edited:

Jenale

First Post
For most people, the sun, moon & stars + bells of the church if in a village/town/city is adequate for the time keeping. A few of the sages and wizards who're into esoteric research use more elaborate devices (mechanical/magical) to do precise timekeeping. However, most people think they're a little strange to worry that much about what time it is.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads