• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adjusting CR for solo campaign

Zireael

Explorer
I am going to be running a solo campaign (from time to time, I might allow an NPC merc or two to help out, but for a hefty price).

How would I adjust the CRs so that the character wouldn't get pitted against enemies too powerful or too weak?

The only thing I found so far is an old post here : http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...ating-System&p=2289968&viewfull=1#post2289968

Help? Ideas? Anything to be found? I tried searching the forums, but nope, nothing else.

Nagol

Unimportant
I am going to be running a solo campaign (from time to time, I might allow an NPC merc or two to help out, but for a hefty price).

How would I adjust the CRs so that the character wouldn't get pitted against enemies too powerful or too weak?

The only thing I found so far is an old post here : http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...ating-System&p=2289968&viewfull=1#post2289968

Help? Ideas? Anything to be found? I tried searching the forums, but nope, nothing else.

As a first pass, multiply listed CR by 4 and compare to level.

If it is equal or less than the character, then visually inspect the creature to make sure that the one character can in fact affect it and can survive it.

Zireael

Explorer
As a first pass, multiply listed CR by 4 and compare to level.

If it is equal or less than the character, then visually inspect the creature to make sure that the one character can in fact affect it and can survive it.

Multiply by 4? I know standard CR is with 4 characters in mind, but...

1)a 1/2 CR goblin is in no way equal to a lvl 1 character and will get creamed either way
2) multiplying a 1 CR drow by 4 gives me CR 4 (without any templates or additional levels)

... so isn't a x4 multiplier a little excessive? Maybe x3? or x2?

I know some higher CRs are out of whack - a friend pointed out razor boars and dragons as two examples of too low CRs...

Nagol

Unimportant
Multiply by 4? I know standard CR is with 4 characters in mind, but...

1)a 1/2 CR goblin is in no way equal to a lvl 1 character and will get creamed either way
2) multiplying a 1 CR drow by 4 gives me CR 4 (without any templates or additional levels)

... so isn't a x4 multiplier a little excessive? Maybe x3? or x2?

I know some higher CRs are out of whack - a friend pointed out razor boars and dragons as two examples of too low CRs...

The thing is an equal CR equal to the party is in no way equal to the party and will get creamed by it. That is intentional design.

A party needs to beat just over 13 equal CRs to advance a level. If the fights were anywhere near even then the party has about a 1 / 8000 chance of advancing instead of dying.

The problem comes with the randomisers. There is enough random chance that one or more things happen -- a lucky string of good rolls coupled with bad -- that even a minor challenge can end up having a large impact. In a party this is ameliorated somewhat because the typical effect will only impact a single character and the party can deploy resources to compensate. Not so with a single character.

Zireael

Explorer
The thing is an equal CR equal to the party is in no way equal to the party and will get creamed by it. That is intentional design.

A party needs to beat just over 13 equal CRs to advance a level. If the fights were anywhere near even then the party has about a 1 / 8000 chance of advancing instead of dying.

Well, I've found that it's the case for most stuff, but not dragons, for example. They will not get creamed by the party, they will cream the party unless the party's super buffed.

Nagol

Unimportant
Well, I've found that it's the case for most stuff, but not dragons, for example. They will not get creamed by the party, they will cream the party unless the party's super buffed.

There are times where the CRs are a bit off. Dragons look worse than they play though.

The point stands. The design of the game is typical encounters will be well below party capability because the expectation is the party will be having lots of encounters.

A solo campaign is running on one quarter resources compared to the default.

Probably a better way to do it is add 4 to the CR rather than multiplying: multiplying works fine initially, but breaks down mid-to-high levels. Doubling the number of creatures typically adds 2 to the EL so adding 4 would be about the same as quadrupling them. For CR below one reduce the denominator by 1 for each +1 until you reach CR1 then add normally.

The problem is magnified by having a single character though. The one character can only bring one set of abilities and tactics to bear which is why the second step -- manual verification is important. There are a fair number of creatures designed to counter one or more set of abilities.

Zireael

Explorer
Adding is a much better idea than multiplying, thanks for the ideas.

And obviously manual verification is needed, but I wanted to know where to start :D

Remove ads