Adjustment to the Retiring rules

Bront

The man with the probe
A continuation from the General thread.

Proposals so far:
1) Allow the retiring of 2 characters within one level of each other (3rd and 4th), You keep the level of the higher character when you retire 2 characters this way.

2) Allow the retiring of 2 characters, and you keep the highest level of the two.

3) Retire two Characters, add their experience, and then subtract the XP difference to make the next level (next level x 1000) from the total.

4) Retire two characters, add their experience and calculate level, then drop the level by 1. Start with Min. XP for that level.

5) Retire two characters, cut the XP of the lesser one in half, and add them togeather. That is new character's starting XP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Velmont

First Post
I don't like any idea that would allow to retire two character and start with one of higher level... but both A and B seems fine.

orsal

LEW Judge
As I said in the other thread, (2) is problematic, because it allows the retirement of a 1st level character for a benefit to another character. I'm not implacably opposed to any of the others, although I don't want to create too much incentive for anyone to develop characters with the intention to retire them.

Manzanita

First Post
I like the idea of using XPs instead of just levels. There is considerable XP range per level, and using them could give us a more precise number, and eliminate the motivation to retire a PC at 10,001 XPs as opposed to 9,998 XPs.

I'll have to give the individual options some more thought, though.

Bront

The man with the probe
My most current thinking is this:

You retire your first character per normal rules, deducting the XP required to make the current level (Current level * 1,000) from the total.

You may then retire a second character, adding 1/2 it's XP to the new characters, and the total may not excede the 1st retired character's.

Does that make sense?

Erekose13

Explorer
Wow I've stirred up quite a bit of controversy haven't I. Not that I didn't think it was a contenscious subject.

As I brought it up here two points that I want to make sure we incorporate. 1, it is not my intention that you should ever be able to retire characters to achieve a higher level than either of them. 2, nor is it my intention to allow you to retire a 1st level character for any benifit what so ever.

I have to work out the math behind Bront's suggestions to see how it would play out at various levels.

EDIT: to put some numbers behind it:
ao'Thuir Lvl 4 6,759XP
Eternity Lvl 2 2,843XP

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
I may have gotten quite ahead of myself. Apparently I am quite on glue for thinking that Eternity is near 3rd...

Few I'm not hopped up on goof balls.

Eternity's XP is currently 2,843XP

Erekose13

Explorer
While a little more mathematically intense (more so than 3+1=4 anyways), Bront's system holds up quite well. I'd look at that one for the official proposal.

Patlin

Explorer
Bront said:
My most current thinking is this:

You retire your first character per normal rules, deducting the XP required to make the current level (Current level * 1,000) from the total.

You may then retire a second character, adding 1/2 it's XP to the new characters, and the total may not excede the 1st retired character's.

Does that make sense?

OK, let's contemplate an extreme case, just to test the limits.

A 20th level character has at least 190,000 xp. If two such characters retired, you would drop to level 19 (171,000 xp) and subtrace 19,000 xp for purposes of comparison. 152,000 xp remaining. You would then add 1/2 the xp of the second character. 95,000 + 152,000 = 247,000. You've reached 22nd level, and violated Velmont's stipulation above.

I think I like option #1 the best...

1) Allow the retiring of 2 characters within one level of each other (3rd and 4th), You keep the level of the higher character when you retire 2 characters this way.

Remove ads