Adjustment to the Retiring rules

Knight Otu

First Post
I feel that either 1 or 2 should be used, preferrably both with the stipulation that you cannot retire a 1st level character for this purpose.

Erekose13

Explorer
I hadn't looked at the top end of that. As I guess it was my original idea, 1 would be definitely preferred. I'd hate to think I could just retire a 7th level character and a newby 2nd level character to get another 7th.

Bront

The man with the probe
Patlin said:
OK, let's contemplate an extreme case, just to test the limits.

A 20th level character has at least 190,000 xp. If two such characters retired, you would drop to level 19 (171,000 xp) and subtrace 19,000 xp for purposes of comparison. 152,000 xp remaining. You would then add 1/2 the xp of the second character. 95,000 + 152,000 = 247,000. You've reached 22nd level, and violated Velmont's stipulation above.

I think I like option #1 the best...

1) Allow the retiring of 2 characters within one level of each other (3rd and 4th), You keep the level of the higher character when you retire 2 characters this way.
You did it wrong.

According to my method, you would subtract 20,000 XP (1000* current level), and then add 1/2 the other character's XP, up to where you previously were.

You droped an extra level first, and then didn't use the old XP limit.

So if you retire 2 20th level characters, you get 1 20th level character of XP equal to the higher of the two.

Using your method, you still retire 2 20th level characters, and get 1 20th level character, or retire 2 20th level characters and get 2 19th level characters. That's a big difference than a 4th and 3rd level character.

Patlin

Explorer
Oops, you're right, I missed some stuff. Most importantly, the limit of xp not exceeding the max xp of the two characters.

However, you also have a slight inconsistency. XP required to obtain the current level isn't current level * 1000. It's (current level - 1) * 1000. It takes 1000 xp to get to level 2, and another 2000 xp to get to level 3 from level 2, etc.

That's why I subtracted 19,000. I was concentrating on the part outside the parenthesis.

Manzanita

First Post
How about #4: Retire two characters, add their experience and calculate level, then drop the level by 1. Start with Min. XP for that level.

with the added stipulation that the new PC cannot be a higher level than either of the retired PCs?

Erekose13

Explorer
I know your suggestions Bront would end up with a new character with greater than min experience for a level on purpose. Giving you possibly more than what a regular retiring of 1 character (of a higher level) would grant, up to the highest you've achieved. While my original thoughts were to avoid loosing anything by paying the cost of retiring a second character, I think it would be too much to allow you to continue with a character of exactly the same XP (if the math worked out that way).

With the latest one, there is a possibility for a great disparity in characters being retired. You could retire a 20th level character (with 190,000+XP) and a 6th level character (with 20,000+xp) and still end up with a 20th level character.

Given that a) you'd be allowed to create a 19th level character anyways and b) you've played the 6th level character for an average of 3-4 years. I think it would be okay to grant you that extra level.

So yes, I support Manzanita's latest proposal for those above reasons.

Remove ads