Adv: A Simple Dungeon Crawl (DM: DarwinofMind Judge:renau1g)

pacdidj

First Post
So assuming they use the same ritual in Allaria, a hand or some such should be good enough.

I'm glad to hear you can have the priest waiting outside. I'd rather have time to spare instead of having to rush. Better safe than sorry."

"Well, ya never know mates. Might be we won't need to call the lad's spirit back from the long dream, eh? Maybe him still alive down in there. Specially if it's ambitious men what captured him, rather than beasts or walking bones."

Yimayngurr looks to the recruiter asking, "Whadda you think Stefan? Is there some blokes in Allaria as might want ta stop the lad's marriage, or snatch some coins from Lord Thorman's purse?"

Fragsie

Explorer
Psais

"Lord Thorman, and myself, are indeed of the New Allarian League, The marriage is to forge an alliance with a smaller kingdom not within the league in hopes of extending peace. Are you familiar with the league?"

"Slightly, you could say I was born there... though that was a scant four weeks ago." Psais replies with a far away look in his eyes.

The deva quietly follows the back and forth of questions between the employer and his new associates, careful to commit any useful tidbit to memory. As the conversation continues he perches himself upon a roll of rope on the deck and folds his legs under himself in the lotus position, resting his hands palm up on his knees.

[sblock=OOC] Hope everyone had a brilliant Yule :p[/sblock]

Fragsie

Explorer
Psais

Yimayngurr, having apparently finished his meal, arrives back on deck just before the messengers tell of our mission. He looks to Psais, saying "How ya goin mate? Me name's Yimayngurr, I don't think we met at the bar. Are you a marnggitj too then, like me mate over there," he points to One-Who-Waits, "one who speaks with the..."

After a few moments; when there is a lull in the exchange of information, the meditative deva stirs from his concentration and politely addresses the half-orc; "I'm not sure I understand your term, speaks with the what?"

pacdidj

First Post
"I'm not sure I understand your term, speaks with the what?"

"The spirits mate. The little ancestors. My people, the Rripangu, we call them as can see or speak with the spirits marnggitj. Not always a, what you call it... a shaman, eh? Just wise folk who can see the great dream, and sometimes have a sing and let the great ancestors speak through them."

Yimayngurr's eyes flick over the mystic glyphs etched on the deva's body, "I only ask mate because you look like one who knows his way around the dream. And, ta hear you tell it, sounds like you may have stepped out of the dream yourself not too long ago
, eh?"

Fragsie

Explorer
Psais

"Hmm... if by little ancestors you mean the ghosts of those that have gone before, or the primal souls that inhabit the aether, then no... I am guided by a more eminent and self aware divine mistress, a Goddess, my creator, my Mother. Though She does commune with me through an aetheric spirit that is bound to this mortal anchor."

As the quiet philosopher talks, the glyphs upon his neck an shoulder begine to writhe and take form. A ghostly raven springs forth from his body and circles the deva once before perching on his crossed legs, between Psais' upturned hands. The spirit-bird cocks it's head and scrutinises Yimayngurr.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
"This one thanks the worthy recruiters for their candor," says One-Who-Waits. "This one would only ask further whether anything else is known about the ruins and their purpose, for perhaps such information might help this honored company to prepare for the dangers ahead. Were they places of worship, habitation, burial? Is anything known about those who built them?"

"Sadly I do not have answers for you in that respect, the magical sending that reached me was brief."

"Well, ya never know mates. Might be we won't need to call the lad's spirit back from the long dream, eh? Maybe him still alive down in there. Specially if it's ambitious men what captured him, rather than beasts or walking bones."

Yimayngurr looks to the recruiter asking, "Whadda you think Stefan? Is there some blokes in Allaria as might want ta stop the lad's marriage, or snatch some coins from Lord Thorman's purse?"

"I suppose anything is possible naturally, and as I'm sure you well know there are always those who seek to profit from war."

Grigo listens intently to the reply, and follows up with any questions it brings to mind relating to his studies of Allari and pre-Allari history. He's particularly interested in any architectural or cultural details about the presumed builders of the ruins (e.g. three was considered a lucky number, or they were paranoid and secretive and always built hidden escape routes).

History: 26, Religion: 17, Arcana: 15
Roll Lookup

[sblock="OOC"]
You remember that the Peoples of Dauton are refuges from Allaria and as such the peoples of Allaria are in nearly every way culturally the same as those people your familiar with at home.
[/sblock]

The ship sails on across the shifting seas, the captain studies the stars in great detail each night to keep himself on course. It takes some of you a day or two to get used to life on rocking of the waves. The meals are supplied for you but not as significant as those you would have on land, tact bread, salted meat, but an almost unlimited supply of oranges.

On the morning of the 10th day the captain after examining the stars announces happily they the ship has been making good time and he believes to be more than halfway there.

[sblock="OOC"]

Just wanna wait till the 4th here to make sure everyones back from whatever their doing for the holidays

[/sblock]

pacdidj

First Post
"Hmm... if by little ancestors you mean the ghosts of those that have gone before, or the primal souls that inhabit the aether, then no... I am guided by a more eminent and self aware divine mistress, a Goddess, my creator, my Mother. Though She does commune with me through an aetheric spirit that is bound to this mortal anchor."

As the quiet philosopher talks, the glyphs upon his neck an shoulder begine to writhe and take form. A ghostly raven springs forth from his body and circles the deva once before perching on his crossed legs, between Psais' upturned hands. The spirit-bird cocks it's head and scrutinises Yimayngurr.

Yimayngurr shifts nervously from one foot to the other under the raven's piercing gaze, "I catch ya mate. My people back on Kythira also respect the Raven Mother's children. After a funeral we been leaving the body out for the little winged ancestors. When they pick the bones good and clean we put em in the log coffin, and leave it standing on the beach. That way it carries the spirit on back to sea and, how would ya say?... Recharges the spirit waters where my people come from."

The half-orc's eyes take on a far-away look while speaking of his homeland, and he soon falls silent. Presently he says, "Think I'll go see about bagging me some fish mate. All these oranges are getting ta be a little much." Yimayngurr strolls to the stern of the ship, and leans up against the rigging as he begins to lash his rope around the end of a javelin in preparation for spear fishing.

elecgraystone

First Post
As the days pass, Jade remains in her cat form. She seems to have taken a liking to the oranges, and eats them almost exclusively "never had anything like this before."

Jade seems to take well to sea life, having no problems with the rocking even though this was her first time on the water. In fact, she stares out at the water for long periods of time. When not doing that, she spends her time watching and listening the rest of the crew and her party.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Early on the 19th day just after sunrise your greeted by the call of "Land Ho!"

By midmorning the ship has weighed anchor off the coast of old Daunton though a few miles south, you can see the ruined city on the shore. It is explained to you that that's not where your going though.

The longboats take you to shore up the coast from the city still within sight, where you are met with a team and wagon. Stefan tells you that he must report in with his employer and leave you with the wagon master a grizzled old dwarf, promising to see you again the next day.

The wagonmaster introduces himself, "Aye, I'm Rruhn. I'll be gettin ye where ya to go. Maybe someday foolish humans will learn when they don't belong underground." He smiles at Grigo as he says this.

By noon he's led you to the site in question. "Looks like everyone else has left there were more men here." he says as he points to 2 men digging.

There's not much left of the ruins a few columns dug out of the earth. Stone floors indicate the former existence of rooms and a low wall here and there. In the center of the complex stairs lead down into a room below the earth. The room is in much better condition but still seems as though it could collapse at any moment if not for the wooden planks shoring it up. The room is dimly lit by sunlight coming down the stairs. On the far end of the room you can see a dark hole in the floor above it there is an faded inscription cut into the wall.

Fragsie

Explorer
Psais

The deva follows the group quietly, he listens carefully to all that is said, and bows politely to Rruhn when he is introduced. The more insightful of the group may notice a brief look of loss when Psais looks toward the ruins of old Daunton.

When the adventurers eventually find themselves at their destination, Psais seems slightly roused from his silence by the ancient inscription. With curiosity burning brightly in the white orbs that are his eyes, he studies the writing intently, whispering to himself as he sifts through his memories to see if he can decipher the script.

[sblock=Skill Checks]Psais knows Allarian, Draconic and Primordial.
Arcana 1d20+7 = 27
History 1d20+9 = 16
Religion 1d20+9 = 27
Rolls lookup[/sblock]

Remove ads