Advanced Player's Guide questions

I was thinking about this and the Dragon article on Warforged made me think it wouldn't be to hard to come up with a enchant magic tattoo ritual that works like enchant magic item for Chi martial artists. It would allow you to basically embed a magical weapon effect in your body that you can use with your unarmed attacks.

That is a great idea...I have been trying to find an excuse to make magic tatoos

Unless I missed a lot on that read-through, the book will definitely be put on the allowed list for my campaigns, creating a lot more options for the players, as I kill their characters. ;)

Very pleased with the book and the classes have my players excited. After we finish KotS and shift back to my refurbished homebrew I have a feeling I'll have a martial artist and a troubadour in the new group.

Thanks, guys. :)

Once you've had the chance to actually see these classes in play for a few games straight, I'd love to hear about your experiences.

catsclaw227

First Post
Currently we have less than 2 pages, with roughly one page being composed of moving paragon path abilities from 17th to 16th level and certain powers listed as immediate reactions turning into free actions. The errata sheet will probably be available by this weekend.
If there's one thing that an update sheet won't really be able to help with is the color coding of the powers. Is it possible to have the PDF be properly color coded to make skimming powers easier?

catsclaw227

First Post
I understand everyone has different purchasing inputs and that not everyone will be satisfied with our solution which I believe to be fairly industry standard.
While I respect your decision, Joe... Really, is that all you want to strive for? Just meeting a perceived "fairly industry standard"? I would think that a small press outfit would want to try to do more, to set themselves ahead of the pack.

I've gotten quite a few notifications from RPGNow about PDFs that have been errata'd, so it can't be that uncommon. I got it from Malhavoc, as well as a number of other publishers.

Jack99

Adventurer
Thanks, guys. :)

Once you've had the chance to actually see these classes in play for a few games straight, I'd love to hear about your experiences.

I have the next week off, so while I doubt I will see any of the classes in action (none of my players are planning to die - on the other hand, I guess that could be arranged... :devil:) I do plan on getting a firm grip on the classes and ask a few questions/give some feedback.

Cheers

While I respect your decision, Joe... Really, is that all you want to strive for? Just meeting a perceived "fairly industry standard"?

When it comes to PDF errata, yes.

The errata sheet will be added to the back of the PDF so new customers will have the errata at purchase and pre-existing customers can redownload the product. Also, it will be available separately as a free download for customers who have not purchased the PDF version of the Advanced Player's Guide.

joe b.

Daelkyr

First Post
I must say that I am liking what I see with the APG Ari. I bought it the first day. I usually shy away from third party publications, but everything I saw about this book made me want to purchase it. While I am also saddened about the fact that there will be no update to the pdf when the errata is made available (I know that Piazo and Green Ronin do this), I plan on using Adobe Acrobat to make those changes to the pdf myself.

I especially like your Troubadour and Nature Priest. When I get my player's to give it a try, I'll let you know how they play. Great buy and worth the money.

catsclaw227

First Post
When it comes to PDF errata, yes.

The errata sheet will be added to the back of the PDF so new customers will have the errata at purchase and pre-existing customers can redownload the product. Also, it will be available separately as a free download for customers who have not purchased the PDF version of the Advanced Player's Guide.
Fair enough. There are acutally two points that bum me out here, though.

1. I guess I was hoping that more companies would realize that they SHOULD go color with PDF, as well as make a print friendly B&W version that is the one that ultimately is used for print.

In this PDF, is there some other way that the daily, encounter, at-will powers are differentiated? Like an icon or a big D, E, or W on the power block?

2. PDFs don't require a reprint. So, by nature, the medium is designed to be easily updated. I am not sure what publishing software is used primarily in the RPG industry, but I am an amateur, and I have updated 10-12 different Quark and InDesign publications (for a 64+ page print publication that was going to put their issues online) over two days with mega ads all over the place. And this was over 6-7 years ago when the software wasn't as forgiving. Yes, page breaks, some breakout boxes and such need to be positioned and recalculated, but in reality it's pretty easy. The main reason it wasn't done prior to that was the printing and distribution costs of getting the updated issues out.

Is it about time and money? Return on investment of the time spent updating?

I would consider myself one of your loyal customers. Looking at my personal PDF library, I have purchased 14 different XRP PDFs, and three of the ones below in print as well:

• Monster Geographica: Forest
  • Monster Geographica: Plain and Desert
  • Monster Geographica: Marsh and Aquatic
  • Monster Geographica: Hill and Mountain
  • Monster Geographica: Underground
  • Silk Road
  • Beast Builder
  • City Guide
  • Ecology and Culture
  • Western Europe 2nd ed.
  • Liber Artefactorum
  • Nevermore for True20 and two different Nevermore supplements.

The Advanced Adventures and the 1-on-1s just didn't fit my gaming, and I missed out on the NPC files after you switched to YourGamesNow.

I guess that for late 2008 this kind of attitude about PDFs is disappointing...

Remove ads