[Adventrue] Lord Ogglebottoms Odd Tasks II: The Mysterious Imlach Island

DMDanW

First Post
[sblock=What Gellan Knows..]
The head the cheif holds is that of a young Kruthik.

Kruthiks are chitinous reptilian hunters that form small hives underground. They use their superior numbers to overwhelm and devour all other nearby creatures. Kruthiks hunt methodically, stripping one area of prey before expanding their territory. They butcher their kills and carry treasure back to their nesting warrens. Mauled carcasses and strange tracks that look as if they were made by spikes are sure signs of a kruthik horde.

Kruthiks communicate with one another through a complex series of insectlike chitters and reptilian hisses. These sounds can often be heard in advance of a kruthik attack. Kruthiks hatch from eggs and undergo several metamorphoses during their life cycle. Hatchlings grow into young, but young and adults enter a hard cocoon to change into the next larger breed of kruthik.
[/sblock]

Lssarr listens to the questions and although he seems to understand Thorns question he answers once again in Draconic.

"Yes your people went to find the beasts lair and to slay their queen. Kill their Queen and destroy their home and they will leave. My shaman says so", and he motions over to one of the other lizardfolk, this one dressed in an elaborate robe covered in feathers and bones. He nods his head as Lssarr speaks.

"Your people went that way..." Lssarr says as he points north, further into the swamp and towards the other section of Island. "Left 4 nights ago."

He looks over the other lizardfolk who have gathered around to watch and he points to a rather skinny young looking one near the back of the crowd. "Messar will guide you". A surprised look appears on the young guides face and then quickly nods and bows to the chief before standing back upright, this time trying to appear a little taller and puffing out his chest.

Tomalak

First Post
[sblock]Whoo boy. First, I went out of town for the weekend, and have now returned and decompressed, so will be rejoining the world of regular scheduled activities.

Second, in the future I would very much appreciate it if assumptions were not made about my character's activities. I could encourage any curious player to go back through the interactions between the party, and look for the place where Minharath describes what he is. Instead, let me save you the trouble: he doesn't. Minharath has been trying to pass for human, and as such has been using his special qualities sparingly.

I'm not going to ask anyone to retcon the last scene's events, but if we could just sweep that bit under the rug and not talk about it, I would very much appreciate it.

DMDanW: I want to tell you how impressed I am by the way you handled Minharath's action during the skill challenge. It was clever, and it amused me greatly.[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
between the party, and look for the place where Minharath describes what he is. Instead, let me save you the trouble: he doesn't. Minharath has been trying to pass for human, and as such has been using his special qualities sparingly.

Sorry Tomalak, didn't know. There is little chance people you spend time with don't know that you're different and probably exactly what you are. This is one situation where those abilities can come to party aid and I didn0t see the reason you would want to stint on it.

Martelai is new to the group and he would simply assume everybody knows you're Kalashtar (altough, I cannot even say for sure whether knowledge about them comes from Arcana, Religion or some other skill).

I said "I'll assume", we can simply say that Martelai translated for the group and Minarath stood there mute.

Last edited:

Banesfinger

Explorer
"Your people went that way..." Lssarr says as he points north, further into the swamp and towards the other section of Island. "Left 4 nights ago."

"Well then, let us make all haste to catch them." Thorn jumps in, hoping the skinny lizardfolk scout can understand common. "Hopefully before these creatures do."

Tomalak

First Post
[sblock=neurotic]Kalashtar look like humans, and are rather setting-specific. As there are few or no other Kalashtar PCs, it seemed reasonable to me that no one around here is familiar with them. [/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
[sblock=Tomalak, agreed]
[sblock=neurotic]Kalashtar look like humans, and are rather setting-specific. As there are few or no other Kalashtar PCs, it seemed reasonable to me that no one around here is familiar with them. [/sblock]

I agree they can PASS FOR humans, but there are differences just as there are with half elves. And someone will know something about it.

As I said, consider the thing finished, I didn't intend stepping on anyone's toes (though I would hate to think that you would not use it at a later time when it would clearly and decisively benefit the party) - Martelai translated for everyone.
[/sblock]

"We will go, both to help our people and yours. Let's hope there is still chance for them."

Lead on Messar."

RedBeardJim

First Post
Gellan fills the others in on the beast. "I have hunted creatures like these before. They taste like lizards, but they live more like bugs, like ants. We must be wary -- there will be many of them in their lair."

DMDanW

First Post
Messar leads the group out of the lizardfolk camp and into the swamp. You travel for a short while before Messar stops suddenly and appears to be listening for something.

[sblock=Passive Perception 17+]
Somewhere in the distance you hear a distinct chittering noise, somewhat insect like. The noise then suddenly stops and there is only silence.
[/sblock]

Messar moves forward and waves the group to follow him. You enter a slight clearing, although amidst the dry grass there are many patches of stagnant water surrounded by mud. In the middle of the clearing blood, entrails and other bits and pieces of a recently killed animal remain. It appears as if something was recently feasting upon the carcass.....

[sblock=Map]
attachment.php

[/sblock]
[sblock=Map Features]
OK so the grass looking squares are normal terrain.
The brown looking squares are Mud, and are difficult terrain (2 squares to move through)
The water looking squares are knee deep water, and are difficult terrain and require a DC 10 Athletics check to move through or you get stuck (immobilized) until you break free.
The gray rocky squares near the bottom ofthe map between the water and grass are slick wet rocks. Moving over these require a DC 12 Acrobatics check. Failure means you fall prone and slip into the nearest water square.
[/sblock]

Messar stands in front of you, spear drawn, awaiting an unseen foe...

[sblock=Actions]
Everyone please post actions as you get 1 turn before anything else happens, although technically you are not in combat yet.
[/sblock]

Attachments

• E1-1.jpg
    E1-1.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Banesfinger

Explorer
Thorn holds (readies) his action, hoping to use the reach of his longspear to catch anyone trying to flank the group around the mud (D6).

[sblock=Thorn stat block]Thorn Male Longtooth Shifter Fighter 2
Initiative: +6, Passive Perception: 19, Passive Insight: 14, Senses: Low-light
AC:19, Fort:18, Reflex:15, Will:15
HP:30/35, Bloodied:17, Surge Value:8, Surges left:10/11
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: unused
Powers:Sure Strike, Reaping Strike, Covering Attack, Longtooth Shifting, Grit & Spittle,
Comeback Strike
[/sblock]

Remove ads