D&D 5E Advent's Amazing Advice: The Wolves of Welton, A One-Shot fully prepped and ready to go!

Advent's Amazing Advice

Patreon.com/AdventsAmazingAdvice
Welcome back to Advent's Amazing Advice! The series where I take popular One-Shots, Adventures, Campaigns, etc. and fully prep them for both New and Busy DMs. This prep includes music, ambiance, encounter sheets, handouts, battle maps, tweaks, and more so you can run the best sessions possible with the least stress possible!

From the critically acclaimed creator of The Wild Sheep Chase comes Winghorn Press' next big hit! The Wolves of Welton; A level 2-3 Adventure that will have your players stumble upon what appears to be a simple wolf attack, that slowly turns into a mystery of highly intelligent wolves and a fight for survival! What will your players do? Coming in at approximately 4 hours of play this is the perfect One-Shot to either drop in on the way to the next town or fill in for when you need a break from your main campaign!

Without further ado:
Included in The AAA Collection is:
  • A Word document with all my notes including links to music tracks for ambiance and fights
  • A link to a playlist with all the music tracks organized and ready to go
  • Special PDFs for the encounters. This includes the enemy stat block organized neatly along with an initiative tracker and a spot to mark HP
  • Map Handouts for the Town and area
  • Custom Maps for all encounters and the tavern
Over 5 dozen other Fully Prepped One-Shots, Adventures, and Campaigns: Click Here

If you see something you think I can improve, add, change, etc. please let me know. I want this to be an amazing resource for all DMs and plan to keep it constantly updated! If you'd like to support me, shape future releases, and get content early feel free to check out my Patreon!

P.S. I've run this one-shot with 3 level 3 players and they were able to come out by the skin of their teeth. They all loved the challenge, so don't be afraid to use this as a last-minute session if a player is unable to make it!

Cheers,
Advent

I ran this a while ago as a test one-shot for a group I was assembling for a new campaign.

Ended up with a tpk at the cave (well, technically one pc survived by fleeing ignominiously) after a player decided to try to solve the problem in one stroke by surprise attacking the antagonistic dire wolf before making nice to the other one. It was a useful lesson for a 2e player that 5e is NOT easy mode, especially when you’re a martial class facing a large group.

One change I made - instead of Blaze and Bolt, I used Gloom and Glow, utilising necrotic and radiant energy respectively. I decided that the sorcerer had bipolar disorder, and the two wolves embodied his depressive and manic phases. It was a little change but a couple of players specifically said it was interesting, especially as the black-furred Gloom was the more amenable one of the two.

Last edited:

brodahisou

Drunken Bard
I ran this adventure and linked it into The Wild Sheep Chase as a follow up adventure. I changed the setting to be in a forest outside Phandalin and changed how the wolves obtained their abilities so I could link it into The Wild Sheep Chase. The adventure was great and played out well. They managed to negotiate with the wolves and they are now protecting Phandalin from the north and notify the town of any dangers. The players loved it, especially our druid who wildshaped into a wolf and out barbarian who went one-to-one with Blaze. I plan on using the wolves for upcoming adventures as they make very useful NPC's.

This is a fantastic adventure that allows for both diplomacy and fighting. Definitely recommend it.

Advent's Amazing Advice

Patreon.com/AdventsAmazingAdvice
I ran this a while ago as a test one-shot for a group I was assembling for a new campaign.

Ended up with a tpk at the cave (well, technically one pc survived by fleeing ignominiously) after a player decided to try to solve the problem in one stroke by surprise attacking the antagonistic dire wolf before making nice to the other one. It was a useful lesson for a 2e player that 5e is NOT easy mode, especially when you’re a martial class facing a large group.

One change I made - instead of Blaze and Bolt, I used Gloom and Glow, utilising necrotic and radiant energy respectively. I decided that the sorcerer had bipolar disorder, and the two wolves embodied his depressive and manic phases. It was a little change but a couple of players specifically said it was interesting, especially as the black-furred Gloom was the more amenable one of the two.
That can be a tough fight, that's for sure, I nearly had a TPK as well, but they made it out by the skin of their teeth!

I really like that change, makes for an even more interesting encounter!

Remove ads