• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge:Lord Sessadore)

jbear

First Post
[sblock=Elven Peace Symbol: History or Streetwise DC 19 (you may roll both)] Holding an olive branch in your hand is the equivalent of holding a white flag for the elves of the Sildaine [/sblock]

Last edited:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
[sblock=d'oh!]Sabynha searches her brain and fails to come up with anything relevant; 1d20+4=17, 1d20+9=13

Two terrible rolls! Awesome![/sblock]The gypsy sighs loudly, "I thought I remembered hearing that there vas some kind of gesture that ze elves recognize as a sign of peace, but I cannot remember vhat it vas now."

Neil1889

First Post
The gypsy sighs loudly, "I thought I remembered hearing that there vas some kind of gesture that ze elves recognize as a sign of peace, but I cannot remember vhat it vas now."

[sblock]Elven Peace Symbol: History DC 19: Total = 21. [/sblock]

"An excellent idea, Sabynha. Yes, the literal extension of the olive branch. If there is no fallen branch to be had, we must at least offer to pay before taking up topiary with some farmer's property," says Rain and she goes off into the shops to make enquires.

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
OOC: Tried to poste this a million times yesterday (mild hyperbole), but it seemed there was something up with EnWorld. Later I couldn't even connect

Rain quickly gathers that there is an ancient olive grove that grows on both sides of the Crystal Brook, on either side of the bridge that crosses into the Sildaine forest.

[sblock=History DC 19]This grove of Olive trees was once tended and harvested by both the elves and residents of Crystalbrook town in times of peace. As skilled makers of olive oil the Crystalbrookers would five barrels of the oil to the elves of the Sildaine each year. This tradition and happy co-existence has long since ended.
[sblock=History 23] The co-existence ended in a harvest bloodbath when a Crystalbrooker struck down the young elf who had left his daughter pregnant. The blow killed him. The elves of the Sildaine reacted violently avenging the death immediately, and beginning a violent altercation that left seven people dead, including the pregnant teenager. [/sblock][/sblock]

The adventurers, having decided to move on from Crystalbrook to visit Lord Carric, now stand in said Olive Grove within seeing distance of the ancient wooden bridge that crosses the Brook. The forest is quiet.

Last edited:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Upon reaching the grove, Sabynha draws her slender blade and hacks a single small branch from several trees; one for each person present on this excursion. The vistani distributes them, and keeps one for herself.

jbear

First Post
As you approach the bridge, olive branch in hand, three figures emerge from the trees, all of them elves, all carrying bows, longswords belted to their hips. Their bows however are not cocked with arrows, merely held in their hands. Their attitude is of obvious surprise and curiosity. The tallest of them is a blond haired male. He raises a hand in greeting with a smile. "Welcome strangers. It is obvious from your attempt at observing tradition and good manners, that you are not from Elestial."

Obviously amused he beckons you to cross the wide and sturdy bridge. As you do he adds: "It is well you took the branches from that side of the Brook and not from within the Sildaine. Our trees do not take kindly to the sharp edge of a blade. And it is tradition to look after our trees with fierce pride. A tradition we happily continue. Perhaps next time when you make such an offering of peace you could find a fallen branch that still bears a leaf. A more difficult task, but one that ensures such an offering well met. A single twig with a single leaf is enough, strangers."

At which point you reach the other side of the bridge. The tall elf extends his open hand. "I am Helfaine. Speak your name and your purpose and let us be strangers no more."

You see that there are at least another three elves on each side of the road, obviously making no attempt at remaining hidden, as you imagine seeing them would be no mean feat. None of them stand aggressively, though on some of their faces you can sense a distinct show of distrust and reservations at the warm welcome you are being afforded, particularly by a hooded woman resting upon a knotted staff, teeth bared.

Last edited:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
"Well-met, Helfaine. We come as ambassadors of peace on behalf of the Count Varis." She spoke carefully making effort to reduce the intrusion of her accent.

"I am Sabynha," the vistani bowed deeply, while still making eye contact. She looked to her companions, and implied in her tone that she was done and that they could speak up at any time.

jbear

First Post
Helfaine raises an eyebrow at the mention of Count Varis. He remains however in silence awaiting the others to speak, though he smiles warmly at Sabynha's introduction.

Remove ads