Adventure: A Tale of Two Domains (DM:Luinnar, Judge:renau1g)

Luinnar

First Post
After a quick breakfast the party sets off to Skald where Akriel will be meeting them the next day. As you head through the streets you notice again that song in the air wherever you go.

The party heads through the north gate and everyone (Jax in particular) is happy to note that there seems to be no fee to exit the town. Seeing a signpost pointing north labeled "To Skald", you travel on the road leading in that direction.

The day is bright and sunny. The majority of the party is happy to note that no zombies or ghouls shamble out from the underbrush to ambush the group (Quagmire having missed the past adventure with those creatures). The most dangerous thing that comes across their path is a wild boar, but it seems more interested in sniffing around for food than bothering the group.

Around midday you suddenly notice a faint sound drifting through the air. Listening more closely, you decide that it is someone sobbing. The source of the sound is hidden by a bank of shrubs that runs along the side of the
road.

Investigating you discover a middle-aged woman kneeling on the ground in a recently cleared area surrounded on three sides by bushes. She is squeezing freshly disturbed black soil from what appears to be a grave in her hands and smearing it upon her once blue and white apron. The scent of wet earth is sweet in the air. She is crying to herself and does not seem to notice you as you approach.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Sir Exsixten strides up to the woman and booms out:

LEAKY CITIZEN! WE ARE HUMBLE HERCULEAN ADVENTURERS THAT WERE SORELY DISAPPOINTED TO FIND A COMPLETE LACK OF ZOMBIES OR GHOULS SHAMBLING OUT OF THE UNDERBRUSH TO AMBUSH US ON YOUR LOCAL ROADWAYS. MIGHT YOU DIRECT US TO THE NEAREST UNDEAD ACCUMULATION? WE'LL TAKE DRAGONS, DEMONS, OR DAMSELS IN DISTRESS IF THERE HAPPEN TO BE ANY NEARBY INSTEAD.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Andras glares at the warforged, but speaks softly, "Please, Sir Knight. Let's not bother this poor woman with your desire for heroics. Besides, you're already aiding one distressed damsel. Better not to over-commit yourself by vowing to slay a dragon or three. Not yet, at any rate."

He then kneels by the woman, but looks at the grave. "Might I ask, ma'am, whom you lost?"

Luinnar

First Post
She suddenly looks up frightened and backs away to a nearby tree. No danger is presented by the party, however, and soon she calms herself.

My name is Maria, My husband is Ontosh. I have two children, a young son and daughter, Frantosh and Jelena. My oldest son, Joshua, is buried here
she says, pointing to the hand dug grave.

Two weeks ago, my husband was badly wounded. He had gone out after dark (against my pleas to do otherwise) for he had forgotten to put out the lantern in the barn and was afraid the straw there might catch fire. When he was on his way back to the house, he heard a noise behind him and turned to see a large animal in the shadows near the barn. He ran to the house, staying just ahead of a great wolf as it charged after him. As he reached the house, he fell and broke his leg, but thankfully made it inside safely.

Every night since then, we have been plagued by a dreaded fear at night. Every sound we heard seems evil and dark. The fear finally overcame Joshua, my oldest son, and he went out into the night with an old blunderbuss to put an end to our terror. Although I called to him to stop, he did not listen.
As she relates this part of her story, she breaks into a long fit of tears and falls across the fresh grave.

After several moments she composes herself enough to continue. Several minutes later, we heard the distant boom of the gun. After a second of silence, we heard a dreadful howling and a horrible scream. The next morning, we went out to find the body, which had been torn apart by some savage beast. Now I fears for our other children. Only I am able to protect my family until my husband heals. My other children are too young to look after themselves.

But what can I do? I am not a warrior but a simple farmer! she shouts, breaking into another stream of tears.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
OOC: I'm going on a short road trip today and tomorrow. I may or may not have internet access during that time. Combat doesn't seem to be immediately immanent, but one of the other players can NPC me if I don't have internets and Sir Exsixten is holding up the show.

pathfinderq1

First Post
As the others negotiated with the woman, Brenn stayed back on the trail, watching their surroundings. While her story told of monsters in the night, Brenn was careful enough to make no assumption that they were truly safe here in the light of day.

nerdytenor

First Post
Dorn, feeling awkward, nevertheless feels the need to say something to ease the woman's pain. He tries his best to choose his words carefully. (Diplomacy +9)

[sblock=Also Travelling]
Hitting Vegas for (mostly) business. Back late on Friday. I will try to check in in the evenings, but if you don't hear from me in 24 hours, feel free to NPC.
[/sblock]

Luinnar

First Post
Thank you kind sir Maria says in response to hearing Dorn's consoling words. She takes his handkerchief he offers her, blowing her nose. She seems to be feeling a little better.

The farm is all we have. Both me and my husband have been tending land all our lives, that is the only trade we know. We have no close family nearby to go to for shelter. And even if we did, who would tend to the crops and animals while we were away?

The only person close by is our neighbor, Jackques. But he has a harsh temper and often gets into fights over land boundaries or livestock with my husband. I think I would rather face those beasts then have to go to him for help!
she adds as an afterthought.

Luinnar

First Post
Watching the surroundings, Brenn notices nothing odd or dangerous. Perhaps these creatures only show themselves in the nightlight as the women says.

My family will be worried if I stay much longer
, the women says after a while. As she walks away, she suddenly turns back. Oh, I have an idea! If you would, like you may come to the farmhouse for supper. It is the least I could do after your kind words. We don't have much, but what we do have we will gladly share with you. Our farm is down there if you are interested, she says, motioning to a place northeast off the road.

Remove ads