Adventure: A Tale of Two Domains (DM:Luinnar, Judge:renau1g)

Dekana

Explorer
[sblock=Brenn]"It is said they eat the dead..."
I have it on dvd, heh.[/sblock]
Since it seems clear that there will be another fight with the wolves, Jax resigns himself to his fate. He announces, "Don't worry. If they attack tonight, we'll be ready!" Jax beats his chest confidently. "Now, about tools. I'm going to need a shovel at least. Then some rope. And anything sharp, certainly..."

After requesting his laundry list of items, the kobold walks along the perimeter of the house and inspects the grounds. He thinks about where best to place some horribly deadly traps.

[sblock=Thievery]Not the stealing kind of thievery... although maybe I could KEEP the tools, bwahaha. ;)
Anyway, with the time we have to prepare, Jax will try to set up some traps. He'll place them near wher Brenn saw the tracks. The traps will basically be the sharpest farming tools used as improvised weapons.
Horse shoe nails as caltrops, a covered pit with pitchforks at the bottom, that sort of thing. Maybe he can arrange something that can be triggered during the fight, like an anvil suspended in the air that will drop when its rope is cut. Just let me know what you think is possible. I'll roll Thievery since I think it's the closest skill.[/sblock]

nerdytenor

First Post
"Why don't I come along?" Dorn says to Jax. "I'd rather we not leave anyone alone out here."

Dorn follows Jax closely, leaving him to his business while trying to keep his mind attuned to any arcane forces that might be lurking nearby (Arcana 27)

covaithe

Explorer
Quagmire goes outside and squints at the ground without comprehension, trying to look for tracks. He gives up in short order, and asks an expert instead: "Ho, Brenn. Ye said ye saw some tracks, aye? Can ye tell from what direction they came? Belike the critter may come the same way tonight."

Aside from that, Quagmire will generally wander around, help with the heavy lifting, and try to keep an eye on Sir Exsixten. Just in case. If there is time, he may take a nap in the shade.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Sir Exsixten follows the chicken around until it heads to its coop, then keeps a close eye on the surroundings to be sure "his" chicken is safe.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Brenn took his time making a survey of the farmstead- it was the matter of a few moments to point out the tracks to Quagmire, and to explain the significance of their size and spacing, and another few minutes helping the kobold ready a proper welcome. Then came the matter of finding a proper ambush spot...

[sblock= OOC]
>If the barn or farmhouse has a flat (or mostly flat) roof, Brenn will attempt to get a good spot up there, with the best sight lines around the area. Failing that, he will hide out in the barn to wait for nightfall.
>Depending on whether the house or the barn is more secure, maybe we can hide the family in one spot, with some defense, while the rest of us concentrate on taking down the opposition
[/sblock]

Luinnar

First Post
GM: Perhaps I should make this into a semi-skill challenge.

So how about this. It is 2 PM and nightfall is at 8 PM. Each hour each character can take 1 action, such as planting a trap, resting or preparing some barricade.

For example you may:
Plant horseshoe nails as caltrops (if stepped on the creature is slowed until start of next turn, DC 20 perception to spot).

Dig 1 square of a false-floor pit trap (see DMG p. 87, except you may dig it bigger than 2-by-2 squares.)

You can also spend more time on each trap to improve one aspect of the trap (increasing the perception check to spot it for example).

Build 1 square of barricades (difficult terrain, provides partial cover).

Board up the windows/doors of the house or barn. They currently have 10 HP 10 AC and 2 DR. Each hour spent adds +1 to each.

Rest in the house (gaining 3 THP/hour of rest)

Or anything else you can think of and justify. Something complicated/A-team-ish will require more work and maybe skill checks. The farm tools available to you are of standard 1700s variety (remember Ravenloft exists outside of regular time/space, thus there is a bit higher technology level). No they don't have any cannons, sorry ;) Anything with "black powder" you are not proficient with, unless the farmers teach you. They only have the blunderbuss anyway.

Each PC please post your action by hour and what square you want to wait for the creature at. You are not limited to 6 hours, but if the creature attacks before you are ready, you won't be able to act the first round and you will not be at your designated spot. You of course can discuss any plans before posting your actions.

GM: Some other things:
Chickens are in the fenced-in area around the barn.

The creature's tracks start from Q6, go around the barn, the fence and stop at T15 and then go to V15 and head back the same way.

The roofs are difficult terrain, but are flat enough to be walked on. The barn roof is the highest. The barn has two doors R9 and L9, the house door is at Y14, windows are at W13 & AC13. The fence is difficult terrain.

The family will hide out in the house by default and not fight in the battle, but you can change that plan if you wish.

[sblock=Dorn]
Dorn senses no strange magical activity in the area (this does not take up any or your actions).
[/sblock]

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Sir Exsixten, seeming to sense there's some sort of threat, sets about stealing bits of wire and metal, heading off to the a shed and banging around for an hour.

There's another hour of scraping and clanging before comes out with crude chicken-armor along with sharpened beak-and-claw blades.

With the chicken brigade armory prepared, he then spends the rest of the time drilling his battle-chickens until they are a battle-worthy force.

With them arrayed about him in "ranks", in full armor and blade claws, he begins his speech.

THIS IS YOUR HOUR, BATTLE CHICKENS! SOME HORRIBLE FOE APPROACHES, BUT WE WILL NOT BE AFRAID. THOUGH YOU WILL LIKELY ALL DIE IN THE UPCOMING ASSAULT, YOUR SOULS WILL RISE TO AWESARIA WHERE THE LORDS OF AWESOME WILL MAKE YOU THE CELESTIAL WAR FLOCK.

YOU WILL PULL LORD FANTASTICO'S CHICKEN CHARIOT ACROSS THE SKIES OF AWESARIA FOR ALL TIME, YOUR BEST CHICKS TO TAKE YOUR PLACE WHEN FANTASTICO DESIRES FRESH MEAT FOR DINNER, YOUR OTHER EGGS TO MAKE A TASTY SIDE-DISH FOR HIS PERFECT APPETITES.

BUT TODAY WE FACE THE FIGHT FOR WHICH YOU HAVE TRAINED SO LONG. TINY BRAINS AND TENUOUS GRASPS OF THE GREATER EVENTS GOING ON AROUND YOU WILL NOT PREVENT YOU FROM (POSTHUMOUSLY) EARNING A PLACE IN THE BOOK OF AWESOME WHERE WILL DWELL FOR ALL TIME!

The chickens seem to be paying attention, but they might just be sleeping.

As it starts to get dark, he looks at the barn.

CITIZENS, IT'S GETTING DARK. PERHAPS IF WE SET THE BUILDINGS ON FIRE, WE CAN SEE THE ENEMIES BETTER!

OOC: One hour gathering materials. One hour building materials into chicken-plate and steel talons.

Four hours training chickens. Hour 1 - Green to Recruit chickens. Hour 2 - Recruit to Regular chickens. Hour 3 - Regular to Veteran chickens. Hour 4 - Veteran to Elite battle chickens.

After that Sir Exsixten will surround himself with his array of battle chickens and await the coming battle.

Edit: He'll wait in O12.

Last edited:

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Andras shakes his head at Exsixten's antics, "Is it just me, or is he getting crazier?"

"Anyway, I think we should attempt to funnel the beast into a place we can pin it down. if the beast comes from the west again, then these buildings will do that for us. Otherwise, perhaps we could use traps and obstacles to do the same while keeping him away from the house." The genasi shrugs. "Unless someone has a different-" he looks at Exsixten and corrects himself, "I mean, better idea."

Remove ads