[Adventure] Artemis' Pact

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
I'd hoped to get the next post up tonight, but it looks like I won't have time. I'll be out of town tomorrow and the next day, so I'll have to post it on Saturday.
[/sblock]

Neil1889

First Post
OOC: Sod's law: my PC is acting up and it may be terminal. I'll look in here if I can at my assorted mates, but if it looks like I'm holding things up, feel free to keep me active. I predict a trip to ebuyer...

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Artemis peers around the corner. Ahead, the tunnel opens up into a large cavern, whose walls are gouged with deep marks of pick and hammer. From some of the cuts still gleam the faintest traces of silver. Scattered around the cave, a few lamps, driven into the walls with spikes, burn with golden light - not a flickering flame as you would expect from lamps of like this, but a steady, unwavering illumination. It is this light which reflects off the few remaining seams of silver in the walls.

At the far end of the cavern, thick wooden beams (the same type that support the ceiling) are laid crossways across the passage to form steps to a second level of the cave, 6 feet above the first. Most of Artemis' view of this level is blocked by the curve of the cave walls, but he can just make out the top of another set of steps leading down. From this direction comes the sound of rushing water which fills the cave.

To the left, a pool of oily looking sludge has collected against the cavern wall. To the right, the cavern is bounded by a sheer 12' cliff which drops from a third level. Again, most of the view of this level is blocked, but near the top of the cliff Artemis can see a patch of sickly green mushrooms, flourishing in the light of one of the lamps.

Three hunched, wizened creatures are huddled against the rock face in the bottom level of the cavern, working at the walls with picks. They alternate tapping at the walls, the several hammers making overlapping echoes through the cavern, and then freezing and listening, ears pressed to the stone. They don't seem to be making any effort to mine the rock face, merely tapping and listening. One of them turns to whisper something to its fellows, and Artemis sees the golden lamplight reflected in two huge luminous circles peering out of the darkness. The tommy-knocker turns back to the rock, and he realizes that it hasn't seen him yet.

On top of the cliff, a fourth tommy-knocker is grubbing at the edge of the mushroom patch.

External map link.

[sblock=Map]
hu0s4h.png

[/sblock]

[sblock=Surprise Round]
The tommy-knockers too focused on their knocking to hear your approach! Everybody choose a square to start in, in row 23 or below, and roll initiative. Then you get 1 action (standard, move, or minor) and as many free actions as you want (but no Action Points). During this action, your foes grant combat advantage. After everyone's taken their surprise round, I'll tell you who beat the tommy-knockers' initiative and gets to go again before they do.

The black areas on the map are those where you don't have line of sight from the entrance. As you move further into the cave I'll reveal more of them.

The fallen rocks at the foot of the cliff are difficult terrain. The pool of sludge is also difficult terrain - at least. The DC to scale the cliff is 15 (Athletics roll) - failing by more than 5 means you got near the top before falling, and take 1d10 damage for falling 10'.
[/sblock]

Someone

Adventurer
Shale is not taking any chances. He (?) releases the full force of his mind and one of the creatures, the one situated at the far left, dissapears from sight.

[sblock=actions]
Start at J24
Standard: Dimension scramble, unaugmented, centered at E17. Hits Fort 22 for 9 damage, including combat advantage bonuses. Teleports creature to C18[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats] Shalehttp://l4w.wikia.com/wiki/PC:Shale_(Someone) Shardmind psion 3
Initiative: +1, Passive perception: 11, Passive Insight: 16
Defenses: AC: 18, For: 13, Ref: 17, Will: 17
HP: 31/33, Bloodied: 16, Surge value: 8, Surges/day: 3/7 Speed: 6 squares
Languages: Common, Deep Speech, Elemental
AP: 0, Power points: 4/4

Powers:
Static Mote, Dimensional Scramble, Betrayal
Shard Swarm, Far Hand, Forceful Push, Intellect Fortress, Orb of mental constitution (item), Second Wind
Living Missile, Amulet of resolution (item)[/sblock]

Last edited:

FourMonos

First Post
Artemis thinks better of rushing in against unknown foes. Taking Shale's lead, he levels his rod at the closest humanoid and blasts the thing with a rainbow colored beam.

[sblock=ooc] Welcome back JNC! [/sblock]

[sblock=actions]
Start: J-23
Standard: Spiteful Glamor vs. I-17 (will): 1d20+6+2, 1d12+5 → ([15, 6, 2], [3, 5]) Roll Lookup . Hit Will 23 for 8 damage.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Artemis stats]Atremis Harks- Male Human Hybrid: Warlord/Warlock 2
Darkspiral Aura: 0
Initiative: +1, Passive perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10
Defenses: AC: 17, For: 17, Ref: 18, Will: 17
HP: 29/29, Bloodied: 14, Surge value: 7, Surges/day: 4/7 Speed: 6 squares
Languages: Common, Primordial
AP: 1, Second Wind: unused

Powers:
Eldritch Strike, Spiteful Glamor, Furious Smash, Darkspiral Aura
Battlefront Shift, Hammer and Anvil, Inspiring Word, Aid the Injured
Lead by Example[/sblock]

[sblock=question] When does Battlefront Shift occur on a surprise round, after surprise and after initiative? [/sblock]

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=Surprise Round Update]
[MENTION=88601]FourMonos[/MENTION]: By RAW, you're supposed to roll initiative first thing, and then everyone acts in initiative order during the surprise round. So yes, you or one ally can shift half their speed before taking their surprise round action.
[/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
[sblock=battlefront shift]
I'm good with my location, if anyone wants to utilize, let me JNC know. Let's face it, this group isn't vying to see who can get closer to the fight... [/sblock]

Cute-Hydra

First Post
Karma reasoning that the best chance in the fight was to stop them fighting back opened with an opening wave of psionic energy breaking down the will to fight of their enemy!

OOC:
Start at K-25

Dishearten J-17
Roll Lookup
Roll Lookup
9+6 = 15 vs. Will
5+4 = 9 damage and -2 to all attack roles until end of my next turn.

6+0 Roll Lookup = 6 in initiative

CaBaNa

First Post
STOP! What are you doing?! shouts an incredulous Gil, Have you gone mad? he jumps in front of Artemis, Shale and Karma. We are sorry! We've been attacked over and again in these tunnels, something hunts us from the darkness, do any of you know the way out? Gil prepares himself for the worst, knowing this place was sinister.

OOC: Init 12

Start I-24, battlefront shift to I-21

free action speak

standard - readied action winged horde for first act of violence from tommyknockers, enlarged to catch extra enemies if possible.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Going to wait until tomorrow to see if Neil1889's computer is ok before NPC'ing Lilli.

In the meantime, any suggestions on what she should do?

Karma hit with 15, BTW.[/sblock]

Remove ads