[Adventure] Desolation Island (DM: jsb420; JUDGE: covaithe)

Darksteed

First Post
OOC: So long as we get xp for a finished battle. We can end it whenever. If we need to finish the fight to get the full xp. Then I say battle on.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: First, let me preface by saying I'm really OK with whatever the judge has time for.

That being said, in an ideal game, I would, at least, like to finish this encounter, and have a story of some sort tying the whole thing up with XP and treasure suitable for the efforts and time since the last time it was awarded (as well as fluff describing how we all got back to The Hanged Man). :)

covaithe

Explorer
OOC: I gotta say, I don't think I have time/energy to run encounters right now, even a short one that's half finished. Sorry. :( I'll try to close this out mechanics-wise this weekend. Plot-wise... I confess I haven't been following the plot very closely in this one. I'd be happy for one of you guys to write up a suitable conclusion, if any of you feel up to it.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=How about this]The battle is intense, but in the end, Finnean lands a blow to the back of Skorm's skull that shatters the bone and severs the neck.

Skorm falls lifeless to the floor, and the goblins quickly follow suit.

The group takes a moment to look around after the door settles, and manages to force the doorway leading to the east room of the tower's top floor.

There, they behold a sight that even the folks back at The Hanged Man will have a hard time believing.

(Covaithe can describe treasure and items here)

The treasure they find would have been enough reason to brag, but Skorm was evidently attempting to raise and army of goblins and wil-o-whisps. A large arcane vortex pulsates in the center of the room, and with each pulse, a different realm comes into view.

Jesse surmises that each scene is a location occupied by the many mysterious lights that have been seen in various places around this island as well as across the see.

Some of the locations, however, are twisted, and unrecognizable (later on, after describing these scenes to acdquaintences learned in the arcane arts, it is agreed that these locations bore characteristics of the Far Realm).

He also discovers that if one enters the vortex at the right time, one could either be transported to these locations or retrieve something or someone from these locaitons.

Jesse communicates this to Ixenvalignat, who, as the vortex cycles through its reportoir of scenes, notices that one of them is the street outside The Hanged Man. How lucky they were to have eliminated the threat before Daunton could be invaded by Skorm's hordes.

Pointing this out to Jesse, he suggests that if the group times their motions just right, they can make it back the Hanged Man.

And so, one by one, the group steps through the vortex, popping out onto the street outside their familiar watering hole with stories to tell and treasure to flaunt!

Jesse is the last to go through the vortex, but as he enters, he sends a magic missile into the vortex's base, thus dispelling it forever and guaranteeing that no threats from the Far Realm will use this portal in the future.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=musings on xp awards]So I'm trying to put together an xp award for you guys, but I find myself a bit confused. Maybe someone here can help me.

The encounters in the towers appear to be using monsters that have been advanced from their by-the-book values. Goblin Blackblades in MM1 have 16 AC and 25 HP, not 18 AC and 38 HP. All the other goblins are similarly stronger, with corresponding bumps to their attack bonus. Not to mention the Rat Swarm, which in MM1 has 15 AC and 36 HP, not 20 AC and 60 hp.

This looks an awful lot like someone took these monsters and levelled them up a few times -- but how many? On the other hand, I seem to recall that MM3 (which I dno't have) bumped up the monster difficulty a few notches, and perhaps these guys have just been adjusted to the new standard? Is there some errata I should be aware of? How much XP should I be giving out for these guys? Maybe someone with DDI can get a better idea what's going on here than I can.

If I don't hear anything soon-ish, I'm just gonna squint and guess. Wouldn't be the first time.
[/sblock]

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: The guidelines for advancing a monster are to add 1 to attacks and defenses per level, as well as some hit points and an increase in damage.

The blackblades appear to be level 3, but the rat swarm is a bit odd. It has level 5 hit points, level 6 attacks, and level 7 defenses. I'd probably just call it a level 6 monster and be done with it.

OOC: EDIT: The sharpshooters appear to be level 4 and Skorm looks like a level 5 elite.

Let me know if there are others you are unsure about.

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
OOC: Sorry for the delay. What's going on is that all my notes are on my laptop, which is at home, and I've been at work the last few times I've thought to do something about this thread. I'll send myself a reminder, and hopefully I'll actually do something about it when I've got all the pieces in the right place. Put my notes in the cloud, at the very least. Thanks for the bump.

Remove ads