• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Dusk and Her Embrace (Judge: THB)

Walking Dad

First Post
Deimos Vrago, Tiefling Wizard (Mage) 5
"Let's finish the ritual! Enraged or no, I don't want to risk another such leader like the mummy! We are running out of time."
"Didn't you listen to me? I'm not speaking of an emotional reaction of these undead.The destruction before dawn will likely release a wave of dark energy, just further empowering the creatures outside. Do you really want to empower more 'leader-mummies' or transform them in something even worse.
We are not running out of time, they are. We just have to be level headed until dawn!"
Deimos argues.

[sblock=OOC]

Immediate Interruption: Shield (if it prevents a hit)
Immediate Reaction: Infernal Wrath (if hit by enemy in range)

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Deimos Vrago
Perception: 13 Insight: 20 Low-light Vision
AC 20 Fortitude 16 Reflex 18 Will 19
Initiative: +3
Hit Points: 40 / 40 Bloodied: 20
Temporary Hit Points: -
Resist: fire 6
Saving Throw: -
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Milestones: 0.5
Healing Surge:10 Surges per day: 7 / 8
At-Will Powers: Magic Missle, Scorching Burst, Beguiling Strands
Encounter Powers: Infernal Wrath, Charm of Misplaced Wrath, Fire Shroud, Shield
Daily Powers: Flaming Sphere, Summon Magma Beast

Condition:
[/sblock][/sblock]

"They may be empowered, but the crystal will be gone. And we DO NOT have time until dawn. Can't you hear them? Something is about to come and drop the temple on our heads. That altar will protect us some, but won't stop them from touching the temple."

Bellegon looks out meeting gazes of the undead and blasting some appart, but the kills don't register in the mass surrounding the temple.

"If something comes, please wait for me to attack first, I get little extra effect from attacking first and we may need every edge we can get. I won't argue with you, mage, you're the expert here. I'll be sure to tell you 'I told you so' before you die.

Now, consider what can you do to at least be prepared to start the ritual or start it and wait with the finish until we have no choice."

Drow returns to observing the undead
"What could be done against aberrations with this army." he murmurs to himself in drow.
He stands darkly near the blocked windows, thinking to himself.

Son of Meepo

First Post
Ghourra looks over at Deimos with an almost pleading look in her eyes.

"There is no stemming the tide, we can only prepare ourselves to swim against it. Listen to them, Deimos, it's an army of undead. No matter what we do, we may not survive to see the dawn. If this is my time, then the only aspect of our fate left in our hands is whether we take that dark jewel down with us."

Ghourra continues her speech, with tears beginning to well up in her eyes.

"My bloodline can be traced to the lost clan of Noldrunthrone. Our clan hall was overrun our proud people scattered, ruined by the creatures of shadow. As refugees my father was taken in by the halflings of a Ghallanda Enclave near the Mror Hold. He pledged his life to his adopted clan, to guard them from the shadows that drove him from his ancestral lands, and I, his only child, was to carry on that promise."

Ghourra wipes her eyes, starting at the temple doors where she imagined all sorts of horrors would begin pouring through at any moment.

"Eventually the shadows fell upon the enclave. My father, my mother... gave their lives to fulfill the oath, and I could do nothing to stop it. That was our mistake, Deimos, we thought as long as we were vigilant, we could wait out the coming darkness. But waiting resulted in failure at the enclave, just like it failed in Noldrunthrone. I will not wait idly for the darkness again. My clan will not fail a third time. I will not delay in destroying evil only to find out that we have waited too long. We must take the fight to them, especially when the means to do so is literally in our hands."

Ghourra slowly exhales, her face taking on the more stoic expression her father's people were known for.

"The crystal must be destroyed NOW and I intend to try whether or not I have help."

OOC: Cannot give you XP, I would otherwise.

Bellegon looks at the priestess and takes note to keep away from her in the following battle. Fanatics willing to give away their lives without trying to live another day tend to pull others under with them.

OOC: not personal, just drow thoughts.

drothgery

First Post
"Perhaps Deimos and I have not made the risks involved in destroying the crystal at night sufficiently clear?" Tana said, far more seriously than the cheerful tone she normally affected.

Son of Meepo

First Post
"Yes, Tana," the Mul says grumpily. "I've heard you both, many times. But I would rather face death knowing that relic is destroyed, then risk it not being destroyed at all."

Walking Dad

First Post
Deimos Vrago, Tiefling Wizard (Mage) 5

"You will have not many options. I don't want to face death because some honor issues of some... people who don't understand what happens. And Tana and I are the only ones who know the ritual to destroy it.
And for the record, Mul, YOU don't want to know were MY bloodline traces back."
Deimos argues.

[sblock=OOC]

Immediate Interruption: Shield (if it prevents a hit)
Immediate Reaction: Infernal Wrath (if hit by enemy in range)

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Deimos Vrago
Perception: 13 Insight: 20 Low-light Vision
AC 20 Fortitude 16 Reflex 18 Will 19
Initiative: +3
Hit Points: 40 / 40 Bloodied: 20
Temporary Hit Points: -
Resist: fire 6
Saving Throw: -
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Milestones: 0.5
Healing Surge:10 Surges per day: 7 / 8
At-Will Powers: Magic Missle, Scorching Burst, Beguiling Strands
Encounter Powers: Infernal Wrath, Charm of Misplaced Wrath, Fire Shroud, Shield
Daily Powers: Flaming Sphere, Summon Magma Beast

Condition:
[/sblock][/sblock]

Son of Meepo

First Post
The anger that rises in Ghourra becomes almost palpable.

"I have plenty of options, Deimos. I will channel the power of Dol Arrah through my weapon and attempt to sunder the crystal if I must. But waiting is no longer an acceptable solution."

"Listen to the sounds just outside these walls. The defenses will not hold until dawn! Then what? Then we may perish before we ever get a chance to destroy the crystal! Then we are dead and the crystal falls into the hands of the undead army and very likely our corpses join them. My way, we may still perish, but at least we've cleansed the world of one foul relic! We have the chance to destroy it NOW, and you'd allow your fear stop you!"

"Well, I won't..."

"if your such a great ritualist, than figure out a ritual to shield the outside from the energies of the crystal."

drothgery

First Post
"I might point out that the crystal was here for some amount of time before we arrived, and I had not noticed any undead hordes marching on Sharn recently. The Karrns never really got this far south, at any rate." Tana added.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads