• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Dusk and Her Embrace (Judge: THB)

Son of Meepo

First Post
"And just how long has it been here? Has it been dormant for a long time? You can't say for sure what will happen with this horde if we fail to destroy the crystal. All you know is that destroying the crystal will release some of its energy. You can't even say definitively how much or exactly what it will do or you'd have been more specific in the first place. You two continue to assume the worst. Well guess what, dead us and intact crystal is an even worse case scenario. It is no longer a matter of if, Tana, WHEN the defenses fail, that may very well be a possibility."

Walking Dad

First Post
Deimos Vrago, Tiefling Wizard (Mage) 5

"I'm not fearing you. I don't fear what is outside. And I have not the hubris to think that destiny had me chosen to do something heroic no one else can. Even if we fail, a zombie horde can be contained, or Karrnath or the Blood of Vol would have already conquered Eberron.

But go ahead and just smash the thing. Maybe you will cleanse it, maybe it will kill you. But I will not have on my conscience that your action will most likely cost lives, because you don't trust our abilities to hold the place until dawn.
Who of us both is afraid."
Deimos calmly asks Ghourra.

[sblock=OOC]

Immediate Interruption: Shield (if it prevents a hit)
Immediate Reaction: Infernal Wrath (if hit by enemy in range)

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Deimos Vrago
Perception: 13 Insight: 20 Low-light Vision
AC 20 Fortitude 16 Reflex 18 Will 19
Initiative: +3
Hit Points: 40 / 40 Bloodied: 20
Temporary Hit Points: -
Resist: fire 6
Saving Throw: -
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Milestones: 0.5
Healing Surge:10 Surges per day: 7 / 8
At-Will Powers: Magic Missle, Scorching Burst, Beguiling Strands
Encounter Powers: Infernal Wrath, Charm of Misplaced Wrath, Fire Shroud, Shield
Daily Powers: Flaming Sphere, Summon Magma Beast

Condition:
[/sblock][/sblock]

jsb420

First Post
Brondin is starting to become concerned. The constant moaning from the restless undead has started taking its toll on his comrades, reducing their resolve and increasing indecision. The runes warned me of madness and strife, an’ they’re startin’ ta come true!, Brondin realizes.

OOC: The way I see things, there are 2 scenerios:

A: We don’t touch the necklace till morning. It is free to influence the undead outside, and if/when they attack again, it might make them even more powerful or more numerous. Then, if we survive to make it till morning, we still have to face the chore of destroying the necklace then (weakened after the fight).

B: We attempt to destroy the necklace now. This may cause us some damage and will most likely draw some undead hordes, but they might not be as powerful with the necklace destroyed.

In short, either way, I feel a fight brewin’. If I had to make a choice I’d say destroy it now and face the undead.

Walking Dad

First Post
OOC: The way I see things, there are 2 scenerios:

A: We don’t touch the necklace till morning. It is free to influence the undead outside and will most likely draw some undead hordes, but they might not be as powerful without the power-up from the necklace's destruction.

B: We attempt to destroy the necklace now. This may cause us some damage, and when the undead attack again, it will make them even more powerful or more numerous.

Why so many still keep thinking destroying it now will weaken the undead? My good skill check indicated that will only strengthen then.

OOC: No, your good check indicates it MAY enrage them, maybe even empower them, but also there IS a possiblity to lower their numbers by destroying what's keeping them up or calling them (which would make most of them loose focus)

Also, in-game knowledge scenarios are that we destroy it now or we fight for our lives (not very sure victory) leaving the crystal in the hands of the undead.

"Demon spawn, don't mistake concern with fear. You haven't given us much to have faith on. And why wouldn't the fates put you in such position? You do need redemption, don't you? For the sins of your fathers if not for your own. I'm not the expert on such matters, it may be I'm believing the stories. I put faith in your knowledge of religious matters and it was well placed. But you need to give us more to believe this temple can endure several more hours of attacks, especially with our makeshift blocks against larger things moving out there.

Also, consider that there exist incorporeal undead which could probably pass through the walls...what then? What if we fight and win, only to have the undead take the crystal in commotion or off your dead body?"

OOC: it seems me and walkingdad are always on the opposite sides, me being devil's lawyer :p don't take it personally, it's just RP

Son of Meepo

First Post
"Go ahead? Even if it empowers them? Even if I die, making it that much harder for the rest of you to survive until dawn? In other words, as long as you can throw your hands up and say that it wasn't your fault, then it's fine. How mercenary of you Deimos." Ghourra chides, spitting out the word as if it was a vile insult. "I'm so sorry for you that it wasn't as easy as beating up some scoundrel and taking his money. But when some of us find a chance to do some real good in the world, we embrace it with open arms, even if that greater good costs us our own lives."

Ghourra looks down at the crystal. She summon Dol Arrah's radiance through her gouge.

"I really wish you could see that there isn't any other way. When they break through, it will be like a dam bursting. It won't be a trickle but a deluge. That's why..."

Suddenly an moment of inspiration comes to Ghourra. The radiant halo fades from her weapon as she hesitates.

"That's why dams have floodgates. If they break through, we have no say in size or place of the breach. But if we release the pressure, through a large enough opening... say the main doors of the temple, then they flow in more slowly. Brondin, do you think we could hold the line until dawn?"

The Mul, perhaps the largest member of the group turns to the smallest.

"Tana, I really think we could use your help up front as well."

Walking Dad

First Post
Deimos Vrago, Tiefling Wizard (Mage) 5

"Redemption??? I don't seek redemption! I want to free my homeland from the nightmare-spawn that occupy it.

Maybe we should all calm a bit down. I can promise you that my scientific research of the shard revealed no good effect for destroying it at night. But I will not risk splintering this group for my opinion.

The new plan makes sense. Let me help as good as I can. My magic can throw them back without any risk to hit one of you. If your fear that they are to much for us is well-grounded, I promise that I will work on the destruction of the shard until my last breath.

But if I was right, you can always come with me to free my homeland, once I have enough resources gathered."
Deimos calms down in the face of a solid new plan.

[sblock=OOC]
I really loved this discussion. Each good zombie stories have the closed in 'victims' going at each others throat, too :)

Immediate Interruption: Shield (if it prevents a hit)
Immediate Reaction: Infernal Wrath (if hit by enemy in range)

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Deimos Vrago
Perception: 13 Insight: 20 Low-light Vision
AC 20 Fortitude 16 Reflex 18 Will 19
Initiative: +3
Hit Points: 40 / 40 Bloodied: 20
Temporary Hit Points: -
Resist: fire 6
Saving Throw: -
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Milestones: 0.5
Healing Surge:10 Surges per day: 7 / 8
At-Will Powers: Magic Missle, Scorching Burst, Beguiling Strands
Encounter Powers: Infernal Wrath, Charm of Misplaced Wrath, Fire Shroud, Shield
Daily Powers: Flaming Sphere, Summon Magma Beast

Condition:
[/sblock][/sblock]

"Interesting, my homeland is besieged too, but by aberrations. We need to swap stories and promise a help to each other, yeah? And we're in similar situation like we are in now, we hold in well fortified fortress, but it's a loosing battle.

Ghourra, that may be good idea, but do you really think we can hold off in a breach? What if they have some kind of archers of whatever sort? How do we silence them? And how do we close the breach once we think we could use a breather?"

drothgery

First Post
"If it turns out that our only chance to destroy the artifact is for Deimos to finish the ritual while the rest of us our fighting off whatever monsters break through, then I will hold it to the end. But Zilargo did not become an outpost of safety in the Last War by needlessly embracing desperate last stands." Tana said. "As to this idea of trying to create a controlled breach, though... I suspect weakening the defesnses we've built up already would not be a good idea."

Son of Meepo

First Post
"Bellegon, what respite would we get from the walking dead once they breach our defenses on their own? I fully expect that once they battle is begun, it will not end until dawn. Our warriors hold of theirs and our artillery matches whatever they might have."

"Tana, we weaken the defenses in only one direction, lure them into a bottleneck. Then we engage them in typical fortress fighting tactics. When they overwhelm the first line, and I expect that they eventually will, we withdraw to the next chamber, and then the next. We have an advantage in that they will follow wherever we take the crystal. We just have to make sure we quickly identify our exit from the next room and only give them one way to follow us. Then we pray we can hold them long enough before our options run out."

OOC: The idea is to limit the number of creatures that can engage us at one time. If Ghourra opens with her daily, it will enhance all of her healing power for the duration of the encounter, and she has quite a few of those.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads