(Adventure) Feral Smackdown Battle Royale

GnomeWorks said:
Don't know.

To be honest, I've got more weaponry than I can handle... if you want it, you can have it. :)
Awww...I was hoping for ten paces then we sling spells at each other. ;)

Since I don't actually have any melee weapon but my own little boring scimitar, I think I'll have to (non-greedily) take it...if you don't mind. And many thanks ...I definatly think we should hunt down that *censored* jerk Druid and show him what for!

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Awww...I was hoping for ten paces then we sling spells at each other. ;)

Hmm... considering I have a 2 Con right now and can't cast spells, that'd be a little difficult. ;)

Since I don't actually have any melee weapon but my own little boring scimitar, I think I'll have to (non-greedily) take it...if you don't mind. And many thanks ...I definatly think we should hunt down that *censored* jerk Druid and show him what for!

I do not mind. I just got myself a +1 whip, so no sense in me hogging all the good weaponry. :)

We will hunt him down, one day...

dpdx

Explorer
WizWrm said:
Velbrik will do a little research on his lineage; maybe while Troi rests up and Rurik crafts, dunno if you want to just move a week or so forward before everyone on this adventure returns to the Red Dragon Inn.
That works, except Rurik can't craft at the monestary (and needs seven weeks and two of his relatives to make that waraxe, or six months by himself), and will have to return home anyway to buy the +1 chainmail he indicated. I think what I'll do with Rurik instead is buy that MW waraxe (for 330) and come back to the monestary within a week. Sound good?

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Addressing a few issues.

You are all most definately welcome to stay at the Monestary for a week or as long as you like, In fact, the offer stays open that you will always have a friendly roof over your head and food in your bellies at the Monestary of St. Feragon.

Rurik can indeed forge/reforge his Waraxe here, as the Monestary has quite a fine Smithy in one of the outbuildings above.

I see no problem with Troi getting the Scimitar, although it will take an Identify (100GP) to find out exactly what it is.

The problem (and a fairly major one regarding LEW) is/will develop that in a normal game with the same folks seesion to session, if someone gets the +3 chainmail in one session, it's no biggie. The others all just get a 'pick' up next until everyone has been fairly compensated in the game.
The adventure-hopping nature of LEW is going to result in discrepencies that are going to be very unfair soon.
Someone will end up being the guy/gal who passes items or gets passed and finds themselves after 3 adventures with nothing, merely because they weren't aggressive or assertive.
As well,once this is realized (as in now), folks will jump/vote to see everything that they presonally can't use or don't want.

If there is a +2 Greatsword that one PC wants, the option to take it and forego the next (insert amount of PCs) cool items until everyone is fairly treated is gone, as folks want to get their cut of the 2350 GP and get on with the next adventure.
While it is an optionto just buy magc items, this ruins a bit of the fun of finding cool things.

Just a few thoughts.

dpdx

Explorer
Uriel said:
Rurik can indeed forge/reforge his Waraxe here, as the Monestary has quite a fine Smithy in one of the outbuildings above.
Thanks, but he's still lacking the 7 weeks and +4 in aid another checks to make it masterwork. Much easier just to buy one - it's already on my sheet.

The problem (and a fairly major one regarding LEW) is/will develop that in a normal game with the same folks seesion to session, if someone gets the +3 chainmail in one session, it's no biggie. The others all just get a 'pick' up next until everyone has been fairly compensated in the game.
The adventure-hopping nature of LEW is going to result in discrepencies that are going to be very unfair soon.
Someone will end up being the guy/gal who passes items or gets passed and finds themselves after 3 adventures with nothing, merely because they weren't aggressive or assertive.
As well,once this is realized (as in now), folks will jump/vote to see everything that they presonally can't use or don't want.
Actually, I think this gets taken care of with the individual rewards. 1600 is an awful lot to pick out your own present(s) with, I think. Besides, don't think PCs won't keep mental track from adventure to adventure of their comrades, either.

If there is a +2 Greatsword that one PC wants, the option to take it and forego the next (insert amount of PCs) cool items until everyone is fairly treated is gone, as folks want to get their cut of the 2350 GP and get on with the next adventure.
While it is an optionto just buy magc items, this ruins a bit of the fun of finding cool things.

Just a few thoughts.
Which is totally fair, provided that the PC who takes it can comp the others in their party for their shares of the treasure. It's much easier to do with a party of 5 than it is with 11, I'll grant you, but even then, you just have to find more treasure. We didn't even share out the weapons this time, and Rurik isn't even feeling shafted (anymore)! :)

Last edited:

Keia

I aim to misbehave
dpdx said:
Thanks, but he's still lacking the 7 weeks and +4 in aid another checks to make it masterwork. Much easier just to buy one - it's already on my sheet.

Thurgan is more than happy to help out with the crafting or, even to lead it, if you want (+10 Craft:Weaponsmith). It's the least he can do to help out a comrade.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Keia said:
Thurgan is more than happy to help out with the crafting or, even to lead it, if you want (+10 Craft:Weaponsmith). It's the least he can do to help out a comrade.

Likewise, one of the Monk's has 5 ranks (+7 total/+9 w. Masterworked tools).
Not sure how we'd work it, but it may help.

dpdx

Explorer
Thanks, folks, but even with Thurgan leading and Rurik and the monk adding +2 with Aid Another, it would still take six weeks (I used eTools to simulate the checks) to make a MW waraxe. Easier just to buy one, and Rurik can wait until his own skill is higher before trying to make a MW weapon.

Also, it's in Rurik's background to want to use his own family's forgework. Loyal worshippers of Chennet' and all..

I appreciate the offers, though.

[on edit: Okay, the biggest Craft Check we can make is +16: that's with Thurgan's +10, +2 for borrowing the Masterworked Weaponsmith Tools, and Rurik and a Monk each helping (taking 10, +2 apiece to Aid Another). To hit DC 25 instead of 20 (and thus accelerate the process) we have to beat 9s. Lemme roll it again, and if I can get it done in 3 checks or less, I'll gratefully accept the MW waraxe that is a product of the toil of my brothers in arms. :) ]

[post-edit: Nah, it's not going to work. It takes a month at +16, and that's with hitting all the checks. Max check result is 36, x 25 is 900. 4 x 900 is 3600, plus a week for the rest of the weapon, that's too long to wait.]

Last edited:

Kahuna Burger

First Post
dpdx said:
Actually, I think this gets taken care of with the individual rewards. 1600 is an awful lot to pick out your own present(s) with, I think. Besides, don't think PCs won't keep mental track from adventure to adventure of their comrades, either.

Which is totally fair, provided that the PC who takes it can comp the others in their party for their shares of the treasure. It's much easier to do with a party of 5 than it is with 11, I'll grant you, but even then, you just have to find more treasure. We didn't even share out the weapons this time, and Rurik isn't even feeling shafted (anymore)! :)

er, the problem uriel is aluding to is that in LEW this isn't really a party of 11... its a group of 11 people who were all at the climactic battle. especially if uriel is aking some time off of running entirely, its highly unlikely that these same 11 people are going to be at the next treasure divy. And well 1600 is a very nice treasure, certain members of the group are taking the 1600 and helping themselves to 1000 gp or more weapons on top of that, with no indication that they are interested in recompensating the rest of the group. While in character, kirin isn't very into money, out of character, I know her next step in fighting the ferals is probably going to involve aquiring some VERY expsensive scrolls. And out of character, the traditional way of doing this is for someone to make apraise checks to estimate a minimum value for non gold treasure, and allow folks to 'buy' items out of their shares or personal cash if the shares don't cover a very valuable item. And that is done in groups where you are counting on having each other around, and ties on sought after items can be legitamately broken by who can use it more....

Rurik is being shafted as are all but two party members if weapons worth as much as our entire cash rewards are just picked up off the wall and wandered off with, or genteely decided between only two members.

I suggest that we either a) do it the traditional way, b) convince uriel to run a (maybe 'more searching and in character discussion, less battle royals and outstripping leveling') followup adventure with a few of the characters and give the weapons to those who are going out right now to avenge the dead (perhaps on loan from the momnestary which certainly has first dibs on them) or on a related note c) leave them with the monestary as a tiny replacement for their dead defenders and thanks for the wealth of reward they have given us...

Keia

I aim to misbehave
OOC: I've thought about this issue for a while - that is, the issue of items vs. treasure and the out of character discussions regarding the equitable division. Typical (at least in my campaigns or in ones I've played), this issue is raised at the earlier levels - where the cost of a single item far and away out strips the average reward, or wealth of individuals.

During that time, items are usually distributed to those that can use them the best, knowing that, things eventually work themselves out. As such, the discussion about it usually doesn't produce anything constructive. Gamemasters (regardless of who is running the game) will review the characters in his group and noted what they have . . . and don't have. Then items can be placed to make things more even in the games that follow.

As a suggestion, perhaps it would be wise to put a GP Value statistic on the character sheet which represents the total gp value of all items and money the character owns. In this way, a future gm could review the values of the various individuals and determine rewards.

Regardless, I'm certain that the numbers will balance compared to level as the characters get 'over the hump' so to speak and get to 5th to 7th level.

Finally, I wanted to add to Uriel that you've run (and are still running, I hope) a very good game with excellent pacing (which puts my pacing to shame). I'm happy to play in it, enjoy the storyline tremendously, and will continue to play as long as allowed.

Keia

Remove ads