• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: Food of the Gods (DM: ryryguy, Judge: renau1g)

Mezegis

First Post
//OOC: Maps make this so much easier to understand.//

Chaku follows while Kaeysari checks the fallen. I think the perimeter would be a bit to hard to move through, we'd be easy targets for archers. I think we should check the bodies as we go, and slowly head toward the unburnt area to the north. Jaronel, you should stay a bit behind us with the animals, but no too far back, wouldn't want you ambushed. Chaku says the last like a joke, but no smile crosses his lips, or humor enters his eyes.

//OOC: Chaku will stay about a square or 2 apart from the group as they move, so that he can try to be the hammer to Kaey/Papol's anvil. We even have a musician, too bad no standard bearer for SCR.//

LadyLaw

First Post
"Body check works for me. I would like to know why that area is unburnt and we can't do that without getting there. If anyone is still here, they're probably in or around that building, now that I think about it."

Azryah moves after Kaeysari and Chaku, staying behind, but between their two positions. She keeps her sword up and ready, continuing to sweep the area with her eyes for any movement or other signs of life. When they reach a body, she will move close enough to view it properly and move her visual focus to it, but still keep her ears perked for any sounds that might indicate that same movement or sign of life she was previously looking for.

That type of movement will continue as they move from body to body, pausing at each one.

Mewness

First Post
Papolstaanas tags along close to Kaeysari, keeping an uneasy eye on the smoke-filled area. He glances down at the bodies the group passes but seems leery of examining them too closely.

When they pass a tree that is already burnt, Papolstaanas examines and sniffs the burned wood to see if he can find any traces of some sort of accelerant.

Charm

First Post
Cillani stayed in the back of the group and was silent seeing as this was her first adventure above ground she had opted for listening and learning. She gave a mental prayer to the Reaper Queen that the souls of the departed made it safely to her arms. The silver shimmer on her skin had lessened this morning the orange energy lines shone brighter across her face and into the tip of her crystal spike hair causing them to flicker more today then they had on the trip over. As she walked she had taken to leaning more and more on her scythe as if it alone was holding her up. She glanced around every so often but kept her silence, for now.

ryryguy

First Post
Jaronel, peeking around the gate opening, nods at Chaku's instructions, his face pale. He inches through the gate, pack animals in tow.

Kaeysari's examination of the next body in, a dwarven warrior, reveals that she was killed by a slashing weapon. It looks like whoever did it went in for a degree of overkill, continuing to hack even after she had surely breathed her last.

The next body after that, a halfling, looks more like a farmer - calloused hands and no weapons visible. His wounds were made by arrows. Several broken shafts, fletched with bright feathers, lie nearby.

Moving over to the body at the unburned area, the shifter examines the body there closely. She quickly determines that it is too late to help this unfortunate, whose hide armor and war club still tightly clutched in hand identify him as another warrior. There are no obvious wounds or trauma. She rolls the body over and studies it for clues.

[sblock=Kaeysari]The man's limbs are swollen. There are discolorations on the exposed skin, not bruises but something under the surface. A yellowish crust is visible around his mouth.
[sblock=Heal DC 10 (passive)]These symptoms match those produced by exposure to some kinds of snake venom.[/sblock]
You don't pay as close attention to the unburned tree, which is still covered with ashes. But it does appear to be just a single tree that did not burn, and you don't see anyplace that it was cut. It just seems to have collapsed. The branches and leaves and so forth that you can see seem partially disintegrated, as if by acid.
[sblock=Nature DC 20 (active)]Actually there are some strange color patterns on the exposed bits of tree. It almost looks like it was affected by venom too, but what sort of venom might affect a tree, you have no idea.[/sblock][/sblock]
Papolstanaas avoids looking directly at the bodies, studying the remains of the trees instead.

[sblock=Papolstanaas]You find a small patch of tarry black substance on the ground between rows of burnt trees. You also note lines of off-colored ash on some of the burned logs. It looks like some kind of bitumen or pitch was used to help the trees burn.[/sblock]
It's plain to all that whoever did this was very methodical and determined to get all the trees. It looks like they proceeded in an orderly manner from north to south, as more small fires and coals smolder in the northern part. It probably took a while to do this.

Jynxx advances close to the lines of burning trees, peering through the smoke.

[sblock=Jynxx]You can get a slightly better view of the building. It looks like a thatched hut about 12 feet tall. There's also a well or cistern flush against its right edge. You catch a glimpse of another hut, a bit smaller, further in to the left. There is smoke in the sky above that one.

Also, you automatically pass the following Perception check since you're closer (not to mention your monster Perception bonus :p).[/sblock]
[sblock=Perception DC 20 (active), +5 to check for Chaku and Azryah, auto for Jynxx]Above the crackling fire, you can barely hear a voice speaking beyond the smoke, in broken Allarian. "Krassus, no more lie. There more, I know. No care about worker? You disgust to me. So now only be you. I think you care about you!"

There is a scraping sound followed by whimpering.[/sblock]
Jaronel, still back by the gate, starts muttering to himself in Magari. He is staring at the statuette, frozen in his tracks. His eyes look like they're about to bug right out of his head. He drops the mules' leads (again), takes a few steps back and says more in Magari, looking around wildly.

[sblock=Magari -> Dwarven]??? when ??? here? ?????? see me, terrible(?)... ??? dead(?) ??? too late![/sblock]

He screams out a single word:
Zocaltipapatlaca!

He turns and flees through the gate, running flat out for the jungle.

A moment later another scream rings out from beyond the building. This one is wordless and cut frighteningly short.

// I'll be rolling initiative later tonight... :) Your starting spots aren't necessarily exactly where you'd be based on the above, you'll have a chance to "break" in a particular direction before we actually go into rounds.

Last edited:

Mewness

First Post
[sblock=perception]1d20+6=25[/sblock]
Papolstaanas's head snaps up from the wood he is examining. A violent shudder runs through his body. "I-I hear them!" he quavers. "They'll-they'll kill Krassus!" His body tenses as though he is about to freeze up again, but he violently jerks himself into action and sets off into the smoke-filled area, towards the sound.

[sblock=stealth, or not]1d20+1=8. I took a -5 because Papolstaanas is trying to move fairly quickly. So, not so good.[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
Moving over to the body at the unburned area, the shifter examines the body there closely. She quickly determines that it is too late to help this unfortunate, whose hide armor and war club still tightly clutched in hand identify him as another warrior. There are no obvious wounds or trauma. She rolls the body over and studies it for clues.

[sblock=rolls]Nature: 1d20+3=22; Perception: 1d20+8=18[/sblock]

"That's strange," Kaeysari says. "Looks like some kind of snake venom, but I don't see any bite marks. And this tree, it's. . ."

Papolstaanas's head snaps up from the wood he is examining. A violent shudder runs through his body. "I-I hear them!" he quavers. "They'll-they'll kill Krassus!"

A moment later another scream rings out from beyond the building. This one is wordless and cut frighteningly short.

Kaeysari vaults to her feet, and removes the cloth cover from the head of her glaive. She checks around to see where everybody is. "Everyone ready?" she asks.

LadyLaw

First Post
[sblock=perception check]1d20+9+5=31[/sblock]

Azryah's head jerks up and around when she hears the faint sounds of someone talking to Krassus. When she hears the screams, she knows they have to stop whatever's happening before it's too late for Krassus.

"Well drat," she says loudly enough to be heard by those near her, but pitched quietly enough that she hopes it won't carry far. Her voice carries a hint of dismay, and you may hear a bit of frustration as well.

"We'd better get in there. I only heard one voice, but that doesn't mean there aren't others there. Everyone be careful. Try to get there quietly if you can. It will be better if they don't know how many we are either."

She moves off after the kobold, but moving at a more normal pace, making an effort to move as quietly as she can, and still staying alert for any signs that there people outside the building.

[sblock=stealth check]1d20=17[/sblock]

Mezegis

First Post
Chaku's mind whirled as he attempted to put sense to what Jaronel had said. See him? he thought Who would see him? Will they make him dead? Papolstannas's alarm and Azryah's statement pierce his foggy mind, and seeing his companions head off toward the smoke snaps him back to the present. Readying he maul, he sets off at a trot, trying to stay alert for those Jaronel was fearful of.

[sblock=Perception what?]1d20+7=8 yeah, glad to get the crit fail out of the way before combat... [/sblock]

Remove ads