• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: Food of the Gods (DM: ryryguy, Judge: renau1g)

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Jynxx sees a figure hiding behind a tree, ''There is someone behind that tree," he alerts the group telepathically as he points in the figures direction. Jynxx moves slowly to get a better view of what is exactly behind the tree.

[sblock=ooc/actions]

I would prefer to delay my action until the end (after Aryzah). I went ahead and rolled for my attack though, since I don't want to hold things up at all.

Standard Action: Jinx Shot.... lol

1d20+7=9, 1d10+5=10

[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=Papolstaanas, Cillani, Azryah]Jynxx is pointing towards the tree at I/J 10/11.[/sblock]

[sblock=Chaku, Kaeysari]You receive Jynxx's telepathic warning, but can't see him pointing. From where you are you can probably only see the tree at N/O 8/9... though once you move you'll start seeing some of the other trees.[/sblock]

[sblock=Jynxx]Are you sure you want to delay? Since you get to act before the bad guys, delaying will pretty much mean you lose a turn. If you delay until after bad guys act, after your delayed action you won't be able to act again until after the bad guys get to go again. Let me know if this isn't clear.

(If your concern is that you don't want to move ahead before the others, you can just take that attack on your first turn now, from where you are, and make sure you don't take your second turn until after Azryah.)[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
''There is someone behind that tree,"

[sblock=perception]1d20+8=22[/sblock]

What tree? Kaeysari thinks to herself as she rushes out of the smoke. Oh, that one. She glances over behind the cistern as she emerges from the smoke, hoping to see what's there.

Swiftly she moves up behind the large hut and edges up to peer over the cistern. If nobody or nothing is in view, she'll climb up on it for a better look. I'm making myself a target, but I may learn something

[sblock=action, rolls]
Move to P17. If she sees nothing beyond the cistern, climb up on top (O17) for a better look.

Stealth: 1d20+2=13
Perception: 1d20+8=13
Athletics: I've got a +11 bonus. Shouldn't need to roll for this.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Kaeysari stat block]Kaeysari Female Longtooth Shifter Fighter 1
Initiative: +2, Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 13, Senses: Low-light
AC:17, Fort:16, Reflex:12, Will:13
HP:28/28, Bloodied:14, Surge Value:7, Surges left:10/10
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: unused
Powers:Cleave, Reaping Strike, Covering Attack, Longtooth Shifting,
Villain's Menace, Healing Word
[/sblock]

Last edited:

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=Kaeysari]The cistern is about 5 feet high. Whatever is behind it is apparently shorter than that, as you can't see it from any point along your path to P11.

Do you want to end your turn or take more actions? (If you end your turn you might want to make another Stealth check now... it couldn't hurt!)

Note: if you declare a move, I'll give you the option to stop as soon as you spot something new. (Should have mentioned that before)

Edit: if your main objective is to get a peek at what's behind the cistern, going up onto the cistern rim would do it, or if you make it into column 18. (column 18 will require moving into the undergrowth) If you'd like you can retcon your move to pick one of these options.[/sblock]

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
[sblock=Kaeysari]The cistern is about 5 feet high. Whatever is behind it is apparently shorter than that, as you can't see it from any point along your path to P11.

Do you want to end your turn or take more actions? (If you end your turn you might want to make another Stealth check now... it couldn't hurt!)

Note: if you declare a move, I'll give you the option to stop as soon as you spot something new. (Should have mentioned that before)[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]Brain not on. Was thinking of this as surprise round. Editing above post[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
The shifter nimbly hops to the top of the stone rim. From there, she can see over to the other side. The underbrush looks alive with motion. After a moment Kaeysari realizes that she's not just looking at vines and leaves, but a boiling mass of vipers! There must be dozens of the small snakes, hissing and snapping at the area all around them.

// The vipers have concealment from the underbrush. From Kaeysari's current position they also have cover from the cistern. (From inside the cistern, they'd have superior cover; from the adjacent rim, they would not have cover.)

// Kaeysari may continue her turn.

[sblock=Enemies]
Viper Swarm
HP ??, bloodied ??
AC ??, Fort ??, Ref ??, Will ??
Resist: half damage from melee and ranged; Vuln: 10 to close and area
Aura: ??
Basic Attack: ??[/sblock]
[sblock=note about ?? in enemy stat blocks]I will track damage done to an enemy creature until it is bloodied, then I'll reveal its total hit points. I'll reveal each of its defenses as soon as it gets hit. Resistances, vulnerabilities and such I'll reveal in advance if they are obvious (or generally apply, like for this swarm), or after the first come into play. I'll reveal the details of auras as soon as they come into play. (If the presence of the aura is not obvious I won't list the Aura entry at all at first... in this case you can tell the vipers are constantly ready to attack some area around them.)

The idea here is to not give away everything about a monster at first. But as the fight progresses players will have the information they need to tell whether attacks hit, when the monster is killed, and so forth, without having to wait for the DM to post. Hopefully that means less chance to have to retcon moves for attacking already downed targets, etc.[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
// Kaeysari may continue her turn.

[sblock=ooc]Kaeysari only has move 5, so was already into a double move. If this is legal, she'll continue by moving back to P13[/sblock]

Kaeysari hops down off the cistern, and moves back along the wall of the hut, motioning to her companions to stay away from that side.

ryryguy

First Post
Jynxx's arrow flies wide of its target, sailing on past the tree to stick in the palisade wall yards behind it.

// BenBrown: yes, double move OK

As Kaeysari retreats from her brief scouting foray to the cistern, the reason for her warning becomes clear as a swarm of vicious looking vipers pursues her. They cross the cistern, climbing up and down the wall with ease, and charge across the open ground straight at her. Several snake bites get through her armor; tiny stings, but she feels venom entering her veins.

As if the snakes were a signal, a small figure that was well-hidden atop the hut stands and lets loose a flurry of sling stones. One whizzes over Jynxx's head but the other two strike true. Kaeysari, looking up at the motion above her, takes a stone to the center of her forehead. Chaku takes another to the throat. Both hits draw blood. // 2 crits! :devil: The shooter hoots in triumph. It's a halfling, wearing a bunch of grey and brown feathers in his long hair. He steps back from the edge of the roof, out of sight.

[sblock=Perception DC 20]The roof slinger (Slinger F) is in square O13. He cannot be seen from the ground, however.[/sblock]

Another sling stone comes winging out from behind the tree where Jynxx had pointed. This one catches Papolstaanas across the arm, hard enough to leave a mark. The figure - another halfling with similar hair adornment - runs out from the tree and out of sight behind the hut.

The voice of the unseen assailant can be heard behind the hut. "Ha! No save you. My pets keep them busy. Plenty time to kill!" There is the sound of a blade cutting flesh, then a scream of pain. Krassus's tormentor laughs.

// Still can't see him, however he's been talking enough by now for you to be able to tell, he's in J14, and Krassus is in J13.

There is a barely perceptible, deep thrumming sound. A moment later, a second swarm of snakes comes rolling around the western corner of the hut towards the group. It turns the corner and, perhaps smelling the envenomed blood streaming from Kaeysari's face, charges the shifter. She sees them coming and bats at them with her glaive, successfully keeping them at bay. But she is clearly hard pressed, with the masses of snakes continuing to strike out at her from both sides.

// I.e., she's in the aura of both... will be bad when she starts her turn... Also keep in mind, swarms can't be pushed/pulled/slid by melee or ranged attacks.

[sblock=Map, Movement, Updates...]I can't post an updated map now, sorry. I'll post one later tonight. The positions of the enemies that you can see are listed below, so hopefully you can just figure it out from looking at the old map.

There are still areas and enemies you can't see... obviously there is at least one behind the hut who is attacking Krassus, plus the slinger who ran back there. This is kind of a pain in PbP since I can't tell you what you see in real time as you move. So, if you declare a move you can I will assume you'd like to "pause" your turn as soon as you spot something of interest. I will try to update you on what you see as quickly as possible so you can continue your turn.

Remember, players can post in any order, and actions will take place in the order that you post them. If anyone is planning to move to get a look at the back of the hut, it might not be a bad idea to try to wait for that player to post and for me to respond before deciding any further moves. That's up to you of course. Don't forget minor actions for active Perception checks too![/sblock]

[sblock=Status]
19 Kaeysari - P13 - 10/28 (10/10) AP: 1 - ongoing 5 poison (save ends); bloodied
18 Jynxx - S11 - 24/24 (8/8) AP: 1
15 -- BAD GUYS --
Unseen Speaker - J14 -0
Swarm Q - P14 -0
Swarm X - P12 -0
Slinger F - O13 -0 - SR used (hidden DC 20)
Slinger J - ??? -0
7 Papolstaanas - T11 - 28/35 (13/13) AP: 1 - Stealth 8
4 Cillani - X11 - 23/23 (7/7) AP: 1
2 Chaku - T16 - 17/33 (12/12) AP: 1
1 Azryah - V11 - 28/28 (9/9) AP: 1 - Stealth 17
0 KRASSUS - J13 - 1 hit [/sblock]
[sblock=Mechanics]
Swarm Q:
Move: N18->O18->P17->P16
Standard: Charge P15->P14. Swarm of Fangs hits Kaeysari for 2 damage and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends).

Slinger F:
Standard: Stone Rain vs Chaku, Kaeysari, Jynxx. +2 for combat advantage cancelled by -2 for either cover (Kaeysari) or concealment (Chaku, Jynxx). 2 Crits, OMG! So that's 16 damage each to Kaeysari and Chaku, ouch! Kaeysari is bloodied. Jynxx is missed with a 13 ('Lucky' indeed).
Move: Steps back from the roof out of sight. (Stealth 20)

Slinger J:
Standard: Sling vs. Papolstaanas. +2 CA, -2 cover (Jynxx), -2 concealment (smoke). Hits AC 20 for 7 damage.
Move: to the east, out of sight. (Stealth 2 high 4 U...)

Unknown:
Free: Taunt Krassus
Standard: Attack Krassus. Hit. That's one hit on Krassus...

Swarm X:
Move: O12->L11->M11->N11->O11->P11
Standard: Charge Kaeysari. Misses with a 14.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Enemies]
Zocaltipapatlaca Slinger
HP ??, bloodied ??
Basic Attack: Dagger, +4 vs AC; 1d4 + 4 damage

Viper Swarm
HP ??, bloodied ??
Resist: half damage from melee and ranged; Vuln: 10 to close and area
Aura: 1 - ??
Basic Attack: Swarm of Fangs, +4 vs AC; 1d6 damage, and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends); a creature already taking ongoing poison damage is also weakened (save ends). The viper swarm’s attack deals 1 extra damage for each viper swarm adjacent to it.[/sblock]

*Edit* - I had the damage too high on the crits, it should have been 16, not 18. Chaku is not bloodied.

Last edited:

Mezegis

First Post
[sblock=OOC question]How would the AoE effect of my Howl of fury affect the swarms, it's a melee attack, but then unleashes a close blast 3. Would the initial hit be halved, then the AoE trigger the vulnerability?

Also, the 2 crits make up for the 2 1's you rolled on mine and Az's initiative... nice coincidence... lol[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads