Adventure: Food of the Gods (DM: ryryguy, Judge: renau1g)

BenBrown

First Post
"If these zocatlipa- er, bandits are still on the loose around here, Newhill may need our help," Kaeysari says. "Getting the beans back is what we're being paid for, but still, if we can catch those murderers, we should."

Mewness

First Post
"Sister who sat at the side of the First Man, you are right, we do still have a dilemma. Cipactonal teaches that though the way forward may be blocked, a backward or sideways path may still allow progress. Is there something special about these particular zocalti beans? They seemed ordinary - of below average quality, truth be told. If any zocalti will do, you ought to be able to get some at Newhill. If the peasants there do not have the quantities you need, I'm quite sure that the headman would."

Papolstaanas brightens at this, as it sounds as though dealing with the headman of Newhill would save a lot of time. Then he looks down morosely again. "But we don't have anything much to trade for beans," he says. "Except--except our services, perhaps, but we won't have time to do much of anything. And--and for all we know, there may be something special about those beans, even if they aren't, you know, very good quality or anything. I mean, the beans that the priestess sampled are from that crop, I suppose, and maybe that's what she's expecting, bad beans, if she can tell the difference. It's like with good liquor or something... Like how the bad stuff tastes good to the people who don't know anything about the subject? Who don't have a--a refined palate or whatever. I think that's true. I kind of like the taste of cheap liquor and I don't know any--"

"Yes... And you could make our traditions work for you! He does bear responsibility for the zocaltipapatlaca operating in his domain. Demand the right of redress against vassals, and he will be obligated to negotiate compensation." He looks over at Cillani. "And he would certainly not be inclined to refuse to see you!"

Papolstaanas follows Laeleg's gaze. "Is there something special about people whose heads are on fire?" he asks. "I mean, apart from their heads being on fire."

Mezegis

First Post
[sblock=Jynxx/telepathy]Yes, it would appear that at every turn we are pointed at Newhill, perhaps we should just accept our fates.[/sblock]

Very well, I thank you for your time sir. Dwarven: May you always find food and warmth. End Dwarven. replies Chaku with a slight bow.

Turning to his comrades, he adds, I think Kaeysari is correct, Newhill does appear to be our next stop while we chase this carrot.

LadyLaw

First Post
Azryah thought a moment about the Dwarf's assessment.

"I am Merkari's messenger, a test upon the road for those who need testing. It is my task to defend the roads in favor of safe passage, it is true. However, seeing to this matter is also my duty, and He tasked me to help the beans' owner to retrieve them as she was having some trouble getting hold of what was rightly hers even before the thieves arrived. I was told not to stray from this task of retrieval; and so I won't, even to chase thieves.

Merkari can be a confusing master to serve at times, but my faith is wholey with him. My current task becomes more confusing with each passing moment, but as I test others, so too am I constantly tested. I'm sure I will find a way to pass this one. I do not know if there was anything special about this particular crop. It is intended for the Goddess Vena, and as my small friend mentioned, the crop has already been sampled by Her high priestess.

Still, I see no difference between one bean and the other either. I simply fear retribution if the deception is discovered, nor do I want to have to pay for something that should have been ours by right. It is a tricky situation, but My Lord is nothing if not tricky...obviously."

She cracked a slight smile at the last statement, intended as a bit of a joke and attempt at lightening the mood. Her heart was heavy and she felt a somber sense of dread flowing over her. First Krassus pleads with them to go to Newhill, and then this stranger suggests the same. It felt to her as if she were being herded, and that wasn't a feeling she particularly enjoyed. Typically, such a thing meant danger or deception ahead. She would need to be extra vigilant.

ryryguy

First Post
"What kind of "shake" does this bean cause?"

"In large quantities... euphoria and heightened sensation; also a sort of nervous energy, thus the shaking. Many consider it an aphrodisiac as well. The drink can also bring visions and feelings of invulnerability, though I think those more extreme effects are not from the zocalti itself, but from other ingredients that the zocaltipapatlaca mix with it in their rituals."

Very well, I thank you for your time sir. Dwarven: May you always find food and warmth. End Dwarven. replies Chaku with a slight bow.

Laeleg bows in return. May there be shelter at road's end, he replies in flawless "straight" Dwarven.

When the kobold launches into his rambling speech, for once his audience doesn't seem lost and bewildered. Instead, the Bonite looks delighted. He doesn't interject, but he smiles broadly.

Papolstaanas follows Laeleg's gaze. "Is there something special about people whose heads are on fire?" he asks. "I mean, apart from their heads being on fire."

Laeleg laughs heartily. "No, no, I was referring to the symbol she wears. The headman will not wish to offend the Hairy One, that is certain. But who knows? He might also be interested in her head being on fire!"

Merkari can be a confusing master to serve at times, but my faith is wholey with him. My current task becomes more confusing with each passing moment, but as I test others, so too am I constantly tested. I'm sure I will find a way to pass this one. I do not know if there was anything special about this particular crop. It is intended for the Goddess Vena, and as my small friend mentioned, the crop has already been sampled by Her high priestess.

"A priestess of Vena???" Laeleg exclaims. "Well, if the zocaltipapatlaca found out about that, it would drive them into quite a rage, for in the old days it was forbidden for women to drink zocalti... let alone a priestess of another cult! Although, that really just shows the hidebound quality to their thinking. After all, not long after Quetzalcoatl stole the first zocalti tree from paradise, it was Xochiquetzal who..." The dwarf stops, looking embarrassed. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't waste your time with theological digressions."

Still, I see no difference between one bean and the other either. I simply fear retribution if the deception is discovered, nor do I want to have to pay for something that should have been ours by right. It is a tricky situation, but My Lord is nothing if not tricky...obviously."

She cracked a slight smile at the last statement, intended as a bit of a joke and attempt at lightening the mood. Her heart was heavy and she felt a somber sense of dread flowing over her. First Krassus pleads with them to go to Newhill, and then this stranger suggests the same. It felt to her as if she were being herded, and that wasn't a feeling she particularly enjoyed. Typically, such a thing meant danger or deception ahead. She would need to be extra vigilant.

Laeleg studies the deva once more, perhaps picking up some sense of her inner feelings. "Is deception necessary? I humbly suggest explaining about the beans and letting the one who charged you decide whether one bean is truly like another... although, you should of course let Merkari guide your decision. And as you follow the twists and turns of the path your Lord has laid before you, keep an eye out for opportunity hidden among the obstacles!"

The dwarf steps back and crosses his arms. "Please wait for one moment, I'll be right back." He walks back to the parked wagon, exchanging a quick word with the cat rider as he passes. He rummages around in the cargo for a moment, then returns with an object wrapped in cloth.

He carefully removes the wrapping, revealing a large, wicked-looking sword. He holds it across both arms and offers it to Azryah. "I picked this up at the Kingdom of Jade colony on the other side of the Isle. I had intended it as a gift for my master. But now I am quite certain that Cipactonal inspired me to buy it so that I might give it to you. Please accept it. Use it to bring justice to the thieves, if you should encounter them."

The greatsword looks very well made. There is an unusual white tint to the steel; it almost looks like it is made of ice rather than metal. It has a labyrinth pattern worked into the hilt.

[sblock=Treasure!]It's a Frost Greatsword +1...[/sblock]
The dwarf rummages around in a pocket and produces a square-sided glass bottle. He holds it out to Papolstaanas. "For you, friend," he says. "Fine brandy from the Imperium, almost as old as the eladrin who make it. Use it to find out if your palate really does prefer the cheap stuff."

He looks around. "Is there anything else you'd like to ask before you depart?"

Mezegis

First Post
Chaku stands there for a moment, look of surprise clearly evident before he composes himself and turns to make ready to leave. Wow, he won't give us beans, but he will give us a magic sword, what a strange land I've walked into... he thinks to himself and anyone else who might have an ear in his head.

[sblock=OOC]Nice, go Az! Time to check one off the wishlist :) [/sblock]

Last edited:

LadyLaw

First Post
"A priestess of Vena???" Laeleg exclaims. "Well, if the zocaltipapatlaca found out about that, it would drive them into quite a rage, for in the old days it was forbidden for women to drink zocalti... let alone a priestess of another cult! Although, that really just shows the hidebound quality to their thinking. After all, not long after Quetzalcoatl stole the first zocalti tree from paradise, it was Xochiquetzal who..." The dwarf stops, looking embarrassed. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't waste your time with theological digressions."

"I am not sure if anyone other than the plantation owner knew the destination of the beans before our arrival. The manager," her eyes shift briefly to indicate Krassus, "could answer that better, but it is an interesting theory for sure. He and I will have to speak on it later. Would that the situation were different, I would be glad to speak more with you about the theology behind all this."

The dwarf steps back and crosses his arms. "Please wait for one moment, I'll be right back." He walks back to the parked wagon, exchanging a quick word with the cat rider as he passes. He rummages around in the cargo for a moment, then returns with an object wrapped in cloth.

He carefully removes the wrapping, revealing a large, wicked-looking sword. He holds it across both arms and offers it to Azryah. "I picked this up at the Kingdom of Jade colony on the other side of the Isle. I had intended it as a gift for my master. But now I am quite certain that Cipactonal inspired me to buy it so that I might give it to you. Please accept it. Use it to bring justice to the thieves, if you should encounter them."

The greatsword looks very well made. There is an unusual white tint to the steel; it almost looks like it is made of ice rather than metal. It has a labyrinth pattern worked into the hilt.

[sblock=Treasure!]It's a Frost Greatsword +1...[/sblock]

Azryah bows to him and lifts the sword from his hands. She would grip and swing it in the air to get a feel for it, but she doesn't want to risk setting off the cat-riders. Instead, she looks the blade over carefully and weighs it in her hands. It seems lighter to her than her usual sword, but the blade looks no less effective. She moved her hands to the blade's tang to test the balance and found it superior to any other she'd ever held.

"This is a fine weapon, indeed, and a kingly gift. I hope that I may prove worthy of it. You may rest assured that should I meet these thieves along the way, justice will be done."

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Jynxx smiles as Aryzah looks at her newfound weapon, "Thank you for the aid. The Great King must be great indeed to have such a wholly wise group enlisted to his cause. May the gods bless you on your road, and fortunes find you where that road ends."

Jynxx offers a deep bow, truly grateful that some help had befallen them.

**telepathy to the group, 1 at a time**

"We should be on our way, for we lack much time. I apologize for rushing, as I would truly like to converse with this dwarf more. Moreso, I would like to meet this Great King in the future. Until that time, we should be off."

"Please remain on your guard, for I have a feeling that the warriors we encountered earlier have found the narcotic effect of the drug and are under it's influences. We will do well to be careful."

Mewness

First Post
Papolstaanas thanks Laeleg enthusiastically for the bottle of brandy. He is about to start talking again, but Jynxx's telepathic message cuts him short and a look of displeasure crosses his face. He really needs to do something about Jynxx's messing with his mind. It just isn't right, interfering with people's thoughts all the time and knowing what they're thinking. Maybe some sort of protective device would help... It's odd that Kaeysari doesn't seem so bothered by it, even though she commented on it once before. Is that because she's wearing a metal helmet? That could be it! A helmet! She wasn't wearing one when they spoke to Hedra, of course, but she is now. He just needs something like that, something metal to protect his head from Jynxx's evil mind rays. But he probably won't find anything in the jungle. He'll have to wait until he gets back to Daunton. And try not to think about it in the meantime, in case Jynxx reads his thoughts and figures it out...

Papolstaanas starts trying very hard not to think about helmets.

LadyLaw

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Totally LOL for real. All I envision now is the little kobold warden with a tinfoil hat, like in Signs.[/sblock]

Remove ads