Adventure: Food of the Gods (DM: ryryguy, Judge: renau1g)

Mewness

First Post
Papolstaanas stirs a little as he is deposited on the deck of the Bluebell Lady, but doesn't quite wake up. He mutters softly in Draconic.

[sblock=In Draconic]"Yes, Mother, I did... I am going on an adventure!"[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
After depositing Papolstaanas, Kaeysari looks around for an out of the way spot, and like any veteran soldier, goes to sleep effortlessly.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Jynxx calls down from the main mast, "Come now! You all look ready to travel... well... except for our large friend." Jynxx half slides half falls down the mast, barely managing to land on his feet. His smirk leaves the impression that he meant to, but something about his descent didn't seem that way.

"The weather is well, as far as I can tell." Jynxx swept off his wide brimmed hand and bowed, the plumage on the hat nearly touched the top of the deck. "Let us go see if they are ready to set sail."

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=no 6th pc]My friend has bailed... He says he's too busy, but I also think he was kind of stunned by what a pain it is to put a character sheet on the wiki. :)

So it's just the five of you![/sblock]
[sblock=Montage]That was awesome! It could be an ad for the Daunton Tourist Board!

(I wonder if they have magic cameras? Maybe wizards with crystal balls?)[/sblock]
[sblock=Jynxx - before you board]As you approach the ship, a halfling slouching against a nearby piling lurches to his feet and whistles in your direction, beckoning you over. He's young, maybe sixteen or so, and wears the clothes of a common laborer - cap, roughspun shirt, tweed pants - but quite neat and tidy, maybe new.

"Hi, Mister!" he says with a bright smile. "Going out on the Lady this morning? Can you spare a moment to speak with me?"[/sblock]
The Bluebell Lady turns out to be a medium-sized, three-masted caravel. It has the same silver rigging as the Wisp, but that is where the resemblance ends. It is about sixty feet long, but fairly narrow in the beam. It is built from common oak, and a fresh coat of barnacles covers its lower hull. Above its name is a painting of a fairy-like creature emerging from a blue flower. The paint is a bit faded and cracked from sun and salt.

Despite this and other signs of age, overall the ship looks in good shape. The deck is clean, especially in the area around the sleeping goliath, where a few remaining soap suds sparkle like dew in the dawn light. A few sailors are at work bringing aboard casks of provisions, but most are working the rigging and ropes, preparing to set sail.

All of the adventurers draw some curious stares from the sailors, who are mostly human and half-elven, with the occasional dwarf, half-orc, kobold and halfling. But they stick to their labors and don't disturb you. Azryah's arrival causes the biggest commotion. Several sailors stop what they are doing and stare, whispering to each other. But almost immediately, a short, bald-headed man appears behind them. "QUIT YER SLACKIN!!!" he bellows in their ears, causing them to jump in surprise. A few other nearby sailors visibly flinch, as well. "Ain't you never seen an angel before? No??? Well you have now, ain'tcha? So GET BACK TO WORK!!!" The unlucky sailors bump into themselves in their eagerness to get out of his sight.

The man's a grizzled sea dog, with tatoos running down both arms and a lopsided grin. He wears a scimitar, a patched jacket with silver buttons, and a carved seashell on a cord around his neck. OOC: Religion 12 (passive): the seashell is probably a holy symbol of Netari. Nubs of tusks peek out from his mouth, revealing orcish ancestry.

He approaches Azryah with an outstretched hand, his gait rolling though the deck is quite still here in port. "Sorry 'bout that, ma'am. I'm Jardin, captain of our fine Lady here. Welcome aboard. Boss told me 'bout you and your friends. I'll see that you get out to the Isle an' back safe and sound."

His gaze sweeps the deck, noting the other adventurers where they stand or lie. "We're still waitin' on the boss's pet chef. I'm sure he'll be along soon, then we'll shove off." He turns to address the whole group. "You lot can go down below for the voyage if'n you want. It ain't exactly the lap of luxury below, but there's bunks and a galley. You're welcome to stay on deck too. Just try an' stay out of the way of the crew."

With that he turns away and begins to inspect the rigging. He shouts a couple of orders but seems mostly pleased with his mens' work.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
[sblock=ryryguy]

Jynxx looks the man over carefully. "Of course."

ooc: Couple of things. 1) I have a friend (brand new to pbp) that has a completed avenger if you have nothing against her joining us I would appreciate it. I'd like to try to... make her first adventure comfortable. 2) am I close enough to send a telepath message to Choku or Aryzah? I'd like to let them know someone stopped me. Thanks Ryryguy

edit: I forgot to tell ya... she decided she wanted to be my adopted sister in L4W lol. She told me that her character got angry when Jynxx just up and left, so she decided to follow. [/sblock]

Last edited:

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=Jynxx]OOC: Hmmm... telepathy range is 5 squares, right? Sure, let's say Chaku is in range.

The halfling smiles again. "Excellent!" he says. "I won't detain you long." He sidles over to you. Getting a closer look at him, he seems to be a little older than you thought at first glance, though he's still pretty young. He doesn't appear to be armed.

"You see, I heard that Castofle, the chef, was heading out to the Isle of Opposition today. I and my friends are big fans of his! We love his Bonite dishes and just can't wait to try whatever he comes up with next! If you happen to see what he buys out there on the Isle, or especially if you get to see or taste anything new he might create, we'd really appreciate it if you might give us a... private report. Of course, we'd gladly pay you for your trouble."

The halfling's smile has not wavered as he makes his pitch. He waits expectantly for a response.

OOC: you can make an Insight check...

[sblock=Friend]Well, sure, since i was ready for a 6th PC before, should be no problem to bring in your friend. Do you have a link to her sheet so I could look it over?[/sblock]
[/sblock]

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
[sblock=Jynxx]
"You see, I heard that Castofle, the chef, was heading out to the Isle of Opposition today. I and my friends are big fans of his! We love his Bonite dishes and just can't wait to try whatever he comes up with next! If you happen to see what he buys out there on the Isle, or especially if you get to see or taste anything new he might create, we'd really appreciate it if you might give us a... private report. Of course, we'd gladly pay you for your trouble."

The halfling's smile has not wavered as he makes his pitch. He waits expectantly for a response.

OOC: you can make an Insight check...

[sblock=Friend]Well, sure, since i was ready for a 6th PC before, should be no problem to bring in your friend. Do you have a link to her sheet so I could look it over?[/sblock]
[/sblock]
[sblock=DM]
Jynxx looks the man over carefully... weighing his words to what the lady had told him the previous night. "Where may I get ahold of you to make this report? And what would the fee be for such news?"

[sblock=Insight check]
1d20+12=30 woot! 30! I figure that I wouldn't make a bluff check or anything yet, since he's still on the fence about it. [/sblock]

[sblock=friend]
L4W:pC:Cillani Shadowtongue (Charm) - ENWiki[/sblock][/sblock]

Mezegis

First Post
The events of the day had taken their toll on Chaku, and as the waves rocked him gently to sleep, they blended together in a most unusual dream. A young Chaku was one of the few people in all the world who had won a voyage on the magical silver ship owned by an eccentric Captain named Ardeh. When Chaku first met the Captain, she had pretended to be weak and feeble, only to surprise him and all the other younglings there with her quick moves and quicker wit.

As they toured the ship, Chaku could definitely tell there was something special about it, they walked for nearly a quarter mile down a long, straight wooden corridor, yet from the outside, the ship couldn’t have been more than 200 feet long. At the end of the hall, there was a large oaken door, that swung open with a creak, and behind the door, the most insane room yet. The entire room was made of the beans the Chaku was seeking; floor, walls, ceiling, chairs, table, plants, everything. Ardeh entered and motioned the children forward, her blue sailor garb a sharp contrast to the sea of brown beans surrounding her. As the young surged forward, each step unleashed the unique scent of the beans.

After a few minutes of frivolity, the Captain deftly pulled out a small silver flute and played a few trill notes, and quick as a whip, the flute vanished into whatever pocket she had retrieved it from. In response to her tune, a dozen small, multicolored Halflings emerged from small door in one of the bean walls. They scurried about with various cleaning implements, dusting, washing, and fixing the beans that were out of sorts with their neighbors.

Suddenly, the Halflings stopped and jumped into a line, from somewhere out of sight, a drumbeat struck up a rhythm, which the Halflings quickly matched as they began to chant:

Loudtoe Proudtoe doompadee doo
I've got crazy puzzle for you
Loudtoe Proudtoe doompadah dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me

What do you get when you’re rude as can be?
Adventurer’s who can’t wait to flee.
How do you think that you’ll solve the crime?
After you’ve wasted all of their time.

You'll get no
You'll get no
You'll get no
You'll get no
You'll get no cute ko-ho-bolds

Loudtoe Proudtoe doompadee dah
You were impatient, now you won’t go far
Loudtoe Proudtoe doompadah dee
Only as far as you, can, see

//dancing interlude as they slowly leave the way they entered//

On the Bluebell Lady!

States the last one in a deep baritone as he slams the door shut behind him. Amazed at what he just saw, Chaku turns to the closest child, a young blonde girl with a toothy grin plastered on her face. As he is about to speak to her, she holds up a finger to wait, and then opens her mouth, and the voice of Jynxx pours forth, stating: A Halfling stopped me on my way to the ship. Confused by what the girl says, Chaku states that she is already on the ship, and the Halflings just left.

Meanwhile, on the deck of the Bluebell Lady, Chaku tosses and turns, rolling himself quite tightly in his bedroll as he curls into a fetal position, his maul tucked between his knees.

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=Chaku]Hahah, wow! I was actually wondering, if Jynxx communicated with you while you were asleep, would you hear it in your dreams? I had no idea it would be such a crazy dream though![/sblock]
[sblock=Jynxx]"You can find me at the Black Rose Pub, in the Inner Harbor. Know it? Just ask around, it's easy to find. My name's Pasron, if I'm not around just ask after me there. As to the fee, it will depend on what's in your report. But I assure you, my friends and I will be very generous if it's high quality information."

The halfling turns to leave. "No need to decide right now. Please just keep my offer in mind." He waves. "Safe journeys to you!"

[sblock=Insight]You think that the offer is legitimate. However, it doesn't take such a superb Insight check to realize that the halfling and his friends probably aren't interested in Castofle's doings because they are big fans. They are looking to play some angle or get an advantage of some kind.

Your instincts do tell you that, despite his slightly off appearance, he's not disguised or anything. He's probably just what he appears to be - a working lad. The quality of his clothes just indicate that he works for a well-off employer who wants his employees to look good.[/sblock]
[sblock=Friend]I'll PM you both about joining shortly. :)[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=All]Castofle should make his appearance soon, then we can get underway![/sblock]

Remove ads