Adventure: Food of the Gods (DM: ryryguy, Judge: renau1g)

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
[sblock=DM]

Jynxx smiled and bowed. Without saying a word he turned back and went onto the boat. Several options lay before him... he had to think about it. [/sblock]

LadyLaw

First Post
"No need to apologize, Captain. One gets used to such things. I think I will take you up on your offer to go down below. I wouldn't want to cause a distraction, and I'm sure it will be easier to converse with Castofle there when he arrives. Thank you kindly for the offer."

She bows to the captain and heads below, waiting for the others to follow or not at their leisure.

ryryguy

First Post
A human man approaches the ship at a trot, hustling up the gangplank to the deck. He is about thirty, slight of build, with short, dirty blond hair and a shaggy goatee. A snazzy pattern of stripes and circles covers his fine coat, though it is buttoned up incorrectly. He's carrying a large leather duffle bag on his back. The bag bounces up and down, emitting an assortment of jingles, clinks and clanks.

"Hey, Captain Jardin!" he calls out. "I'm here, sorry sorry!"

The captain strolls over. "Hail, Cas. Welcome aboard." The two clasp each others' forearms. They seem well-acquainted. The newcomer glances around, and looks a little puzzled and slightly apprehensive when he spots the well-armed adventurers who are lounging about on deck. "They're the ones Hedra hired," the captain explains. "Y'know, to fetch them beans."

The man's expression brightens at once. "Oh, yeah!" he says, starting in your direction. "Hello, hello all! I'm Castofle! I'm --" Before getting very far, he trips over a coiled rope, sending him staggering. He's able to grab a rail before he falls on his face, but a large copper pot pops out of the top of his duffle bag, landing right between the sleeping kobold and goliath with a tremendous CLANG!

Castofle looks aghast as the nearby sailors guffaw. He rushes forward to grab the pot. "Sorry, dammit, sorry!" he apologizes. "Gonna put my stuff below, get it safe and out of the way, be right back!" He dashes for the door that leads below decks, swinging the duffle around to hug it with both arms, one hand still hanging on to the pot.

The sailors are still chuckling and smiling. Perhaps unexpectedly, it seems like they are quite fond of the chef.

"All right!" the captain yells. "Prepare to cast off!" Sailors jump on the pier by the ropes tying the Bluebell Lady to the pier. Others grab long poles and stand ready at various points around the edge of the ship.

"CAST OFF!" The sailors unhook the ropes and jump back aboard, while those with the poles push against the pier and heave. A single sail is unfurled and fills with air, and the caravel slowly begins to move...

[sblock=ooc]We are not quite leaving yet... It looks like we are getting that 6th PC after all, one of OnlytheStrong's friends. As soon as she joins us the ship will leave the harbor! :)[/sblock]

Mezegis

First Post
With the loud CLANGof the pot landing a few feet from his head, Chaku bolts to a sitting position, doompahdedoo, the groggy goliath mumbles as he raises the maul comically over his head. Once it is clear, at least to his befuddled brain, that there are no attacks heading his way, he slowly begins to wake up fully. As he begins dressing himself in his winter white hide, various scars can be seen all along his forarms and up across his torso and back. Once completed, he quickly rolls up his bedroll and fastens it to the rest of his pack.

Ready for the day, he looks out across the ship as it makes ready to sail, and mentally checks of that all members of his team are accounted for, at least in body if not mind, as he notes the still sleeping form of Popalstaanos. Is Azryah on board? he asks a passing deckhand, Deva, short body, big sword? After getting the affirmative, he relaxes slightly. It wouldn't do to lose one yet, wouldn't do at all.

BenBrown

First Post
"Azryah has already gone below," says Kaeysari. "If you'll help me, I think we'll take Papolstaanas there as well. I should probably get some sleep myself, but I want to look at things until we get out of the harbor."

She starts to heft the snoozing kobold up, and looks for the way to the stairs.

Mewness

First Post
[sblock=ooc]For pity's sake, people don't have to assume that Papolstaanas sleeps through that simply because it takes me longer than a half hour to post![/sblock]

Papolstaanas is jerked awake by the sudden crash and looks around in bleary confusion; for several moments, he has absolutely no idea where he is. "How did I get here?" he mumbles slowly, reaching his hands up to feel his aching head.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Jynxx heads down after the chef, "Tell me master chef, why would people inquire as to the location of your produce or if you have invented any new wonderful food? Is there something... extraordinary about your feasts?"

Mewness

First Post
"Oh, hi, Kaeysari," Papolstaanas mumbles as Kaeysari attempts to shift him. He doesn't resist, but he doesn't attempt to move himself, either, and continues mumbling indistinctly as she maneuvers him below decks. "What's the... matter with me? I think... I only had three... or four of those Shadowfell... Slings? And the... dwarves at the next table said there was hardly any alc... alcohol in those... things at all."

ryryguy

First Post
Jynxx heads down after the chef, "Tell me master chef, why would people inquire as to the location of your produce or if you have invented any new wonderful food? Is there something... extraordinary about your feasts?"

Castofle pauses and looks back over his shoulder. "Extraordinary? Well, I certainly hope so! I strive to discover new ingredients, new techniques, and meld them together to evoke new flavors and aromas, new textures, all delivered with an attractive presentation that delights the eye and the mind! I don't always succeed, of course - who does? But yes, most people do find my creations to be delicious, and sometimes even extraordinary!" He winks. "Extraordinary? Yes!"

The chef continues below, where a narrow corridor runs off the stairs. The corridor is lined with storage cabinets and nooks, plus a couple of doors, one of which leads to a galley, the other to another corridor that gives access to cramped bunkrooms. At the far end, opposite the stairs, is access to the ship's cargo hold.

Castofle sets down his bag (CLANK!) and walks quickly down the hall, peeking into the storage nooks, opening cabinet doors to then slamming them closed again. Before too long he has ascertained that all the space is crammed full with nautical gear. Shaking his head, he returns to his bag by the stairs, tapping one foot rapidly as he looks around for any place to put it. He sees that the area underneath the open staircase is mostly empty, containing only a few scattered bits of wood and cloth, and stuffs the bag there. He has to turn sideways against the wall and squirm a bit, but he gets it in.

Attracted by the commotion, Azryah comes into the corridor. When the chef sees her, his face lights up. "Oh!" He practically skips over to her. "Um, miss, sorry, but are you a deva? I've always wanted to talk to one - um, to you! Is it true, did you live in the Astral Sea amongst the gods? Do you remember what it was like there?"

LadyLaw

First Post
Upon arriving below deck, Azryah examined the bunk area and chose a top bunk for herself, leaving the bottom ones for those less able to reach. She removed her cloak, laid it across her chosen bunk, and placed her pack atop it. After some though, she decided to retain her greatsword, keeping it strapped to her back for the time being.

At the sound of Jynxx's voice coming down the stairs Azryah peeks out of the bunk area to greet her friend, but quickly ducks back inside when the chef starts rushing around examining everything. Continuing her efforts to stay out of the way. She peeks back out again when the noise dies down, assuming he's found whatever he's looking for.

She was about to greet the pair when the chef skipped over and began his flurry of questions. She extended a hand to him in friendly greeting before answering.

"Hello. My name is Azryah. I am, indeed, a Deva. You must be Castofle. I must confess I overheard a bit of your conversation with my friend Jynxx as you came down the stairs. I'll be happy to answer your questions, but perhaps it would be good if we got out of this cramped hallway and sat down somewhere. I'd hate to block the way for anyone else who may be coming down the stairs."

She bowed slightly, indicating that perhaps they should proceed into the bunk area.

"You may be more at home in the kitchen, but I think we will find more comfortable seats in here."

She waits for him to move and follows whichever way he goes, continuing to talk as they move.

"Now, to your question: The Astral Sea. It is true that my spirit once resided there, but it has been many centuries, or perhaps longer, since then. I'm afraid that my memories of that place are very dim and lie mostly in emotion that would be very hard to describe."

Her voice takes on a note that seems to say she truly wishes that she could tell him more.

Remove ads