(+)Do Any TTRPGs Do Dueling Really Well?

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I’ve made a character in HERO a decade ago, but not looked at it since. I may give it another look.

If you do, I recommend getting Ninja Hero. It's technically for 4th edition but it's still compatible with the latest (6th) edition. It has a plethora of martial arts, including European fencing. It also has a simple system for designing your own martial arts manoeuvres that you might like.

Thomas Shey

Legend
If you do, I recommend getting Ninja Hero. It's technically for 4th edition but it's still compatible with the latest (6th) edition. It has a plethora of martial arts, including European fencing. It also has a simple system for designing your own martial arts manoeuvres that you might like.

The more current Ultimate Martial Artist might or might not be a better choice; I believe there's both 5e and 6e versions.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'll toss in the Mythras actually does a pretty good job of detailed combat in the same general way as the OP is after. The list of moves that you get to apply when you beat the opponents roll adds quite a bit of tactical thinking and strike to strike interest to combat.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'll toss in the Mythras actually does a pretty good job of detailed combat in the same general way as the OP is after. The list of moves that you get to apply when you beat the opponents roll adds quite a bit of tactical thinking and strike to strike interest to combat.

Yeah, Mythras would have been my second choice.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yeah, Mythras would have been my second choice.
The system as-is would be good, but with some light hackery it could be really good. I say that as someone who is familiar with the system as a player but perhaps not yet at a mastery level in terms of running combat. Better informed gamers may agree or disagree.

Thomas Shey

Legend
The system as-is would be good, but with some light hackery it could be really good. I say that as someone who is familiar with the system as a player but perhaps not yet at a mastery level in terms of running combat. Better informed gamers may agree or disagree.

I ran a rather extensive Mythras game based in post-Roman Britain with a bunch of fantasy elements dumped in. I ended up having some issues with the system, but it was more about the magic end than the combat system end.

(Its a game you'd better be comfortable with random attribute gen, though; the breakpointing is strong enough it makes it hard to do a point-assign without running into problems, though you could probably set up an array and make that work).

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I ran a rather extensive Mythras game based in post-Roman Britain with a bunch of fantasy elements dumped in. I ended up having some issues with the system, but it was more about the magic end than the combat system end.

(Its a game you'd better be comfortable with random attribute gen, though; the breakpointing is strong enough it makes it hard to do a point-assign without running into problems, though you could probably set up an array and make that work).
Yeah, the Mythras magic system out of the box don't work for everything. I'm currently looking at using it as a base system to run either/or Planescape and some Fae related Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell stuff, so I've been looking at the magic. Te breakpointing is an issue, especially in a setting where there are a lot of skills that won;t see regular use (Mythic Britain is one of those settings IMO). There's a real impetus to aim for the right number of action points and evade numbers etc etc.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yeah, the Mythras magic system out of the box don't work for everything. I'm currently looking at using it as a base system to run either/or Planescape and some Fae related Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell stuff, so I've been looking at the magic. Te breakpointing is an issue, especially in a setting where there are a lot of skills that won;t see regular use (Mythic Britain is one of those settings IMO). There's a real impetus to aim for the right number of action points and evade numbers etc etc.

Yeah, people tend to pooh-pooh the action point thing, but in a game with any combat it really matters too much to be blase about. Ironically, this can be a bit of an issue in Hero too, but if everyone wants a four speed, they can pretty much afford a four speed at most Heroic point-buys.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
The more current Ultimate Martial Artist might or might not be a better choice; I believe there's both 5e and 6e versions.

I might be mis-remembering, but I think Ultimate Martial Artist doesn't have the system for designing your own manouevres. I could check when I get home after work... But I'm lazy.

Remove ads