(+)Do Any TTRPGs Do Dueling Really Well?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
+thread because I don't have the energy to debate whether the following are good design goals or whatever. The thread assumes they are.

So, what I'm referring to is mechanically representing the back and forth chess game of dueling, whether it's European fencing, Tai Chi, Aikido, Eskrima, kickboxing, whatever. They all have similar elements, which are:

Strong vs soft attacks, quick attacks vs ones that require making a good opening, multiple avenues of skillful defense from dodging to blocking to deflection (parrying), counter-moves, feints, anticipation of opponent moves, importance of footwork and positioning and stance, muscle memory training to free your brain to play chess while your body fights, a certain degree of momentum and setting up the next move to set up the move after that, and probably some elements I'm blanking on.

Now, mechanically representing those things is not something DnD has ever been remotely good at without loading down characters with 100 distinct powers that either are at-will but aren't very strong (unless they're broken), or limited by an arbitrary limiter such as 1/encounter or 1/day per power, or X/day and you can spam the same one all you want with those uses.

Some mechanics I'm looking for

• Active defense as the default.You cannot defend yourself passively, and normal defense is not hand waved as a passive mechanic
    • Ability to party and even counter-parry, and riposte
  • Different styles matter.
    • You don’t use a later French sword for a Spanish Destreza style, you use a longer blade
    • Different styles, stances, signature moves, make a difference, and there are trade offs for mastery vs versatility as one style may be better in rough terrain or against a larger opponent
  • Different attacks are different. You don’t defend the same against a strong high attack vs a low quick attack, and you use the same in different situations.
  • Momentum matters. When you are on the back foot you need to do soemthing to change that and then try to reverse it.
    • An action to regain the initiative/position/whatever should be distinct, and also not a death spiral enabler
  • It’s still a game. The players shouldn’t need to know who Agrippa is to become a master diestro and utilize his ideas. The mechanics shouldn’t rely on fighting knowledge, but should teach what the players need to know, and use game mechanics to model physical actions, panache, trickery, intimidation, etc.

So…am I gonna have to build this from scratch or does anyone know a game that hits at least a solid plurality of these points and plays well?

Tutara

Adventurer
During the last D&D 5E campaign I played, there was a situation where the characters could get into individual pitfights, with the other players betting on the outcome. Rather than run these using the 5E system, our DM boiled them down to glorified Rock/Paper/Scissors (three wins for a victory). It was by far the most fun we had with combat in the campaign.

My point is that you don't need a complex system, you need a fun one, and RPG combat that is overly "realistic" is not fun. Start with the basic triangle of Rock-Paper-Scissors and then add complexity in sparingly, but make sure you keep it quick and accessible. The boardgame Unmatched has a similar feel, and is where I would be looking rather than - as you rightly note - Agrippa.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
During the last D&D 5E campaign I played, there was a situation where the characters could get into individual pitfights, with the other players betting on the outcome. Rather than run these using the 5E system, our DM boiled them down to glorified Rock/Paper/Scissors (three wins for a victory). It was by far the most fun we had with combat in the campaign.

My point is that you don't need a complex system, you need a fun one, and RPG combat that is overly "realistic" is not fun. Start with the basic triangle of Rock-Paper-Scissors and then add complexity in sparingly, but make sure you keep it quick and accessible. The boardgame Unmatched has a similar feel, and is where I would be looking rather than - as you rightly note - Agrippa.
I will check out Unmatched, thank you for the tip!

Just a friendly reminder, a +thread is one where we don’t argue about whether the premise is or goals are valid.
So, mechanically representing “doing soemthing to stop that attack from hitting me” and “oh hey I parried really well so I can counter-attack” and “I’m in this stance so I have an easier time doing long lunge attacks quickly and gracefully”, etc, with distinct game mechanics, rather than hand-waiving them into a single check or or whatever is part of that premise.
Again, just a friendly reminder, I appreciate the game recommendation and the advice to start with the core and add complexity where it’s needed only.

ichabod

Legned
The best I've seen for those kinds of things were separate games. There was a CCG in the early days (mid 90s) that used a 3x3 grid to choose how you were attacking and defending that I thought was good, but I can't remember the name. I think the guy who did Ace of Aces (WW II aerial combat using books with images) did something similar for sword fighting, but I again can't remember the name.

I don't know of an RPG that does what you want well, so you might need to find a board or card game that does it well and work that into your RPG. Unfortunately I don't know of any current games that do it well.

Tutara

Adventurer
I apologise if my contribution did not enter into the spirit of the + thread - I meant only to be helpful and felt my suggestions were in line with your design goals. Your friendly reminder is taken as such, but I'll avoid such threads in the future as I don't seem to understand what is expected in them.

MGibster

Legend
+thread because I don't have the energy to debate whether the following are good design goals or whatever. The thread assumes they are.
I don't know any game that does what you'd like it to do. I have similar hopes for duels in Star Wars games, but none of them quite match what you see on the big screen.

MicroDuel is relatively system agnostic and imo is the best basis for building up to other kinds of duels.

And while I may be tooting my own horn, I think my system is going to be pretty swell for it, especially when I get around to adapting MicroDuels ideas (and David Baymillers, whose OSR blog spawned MicroDuel) into it.

Between the immersive duel commencement of MicroDuel and my own systems Act/React based combat, Duels will be pretty potent.

Remove ads