(+)Do Any TTRPGs Do Dueling Really Well?

Undrave

Legend
There is some games based on a same old engine and I will not remember the name of them all, but one is Song of Swords. It is a system with a Combat Pool. Essentially, you have X d10 each turn of combat and split them between offensive and defensive maneuvers. You also must stat, at the start of each turn, if you are being reckless, cautious, or middle ground. Then, roll the assigned dice to empower the meneuvers you have, most of them specific of a certain type of weapon.

My personal oppinion is that is a convuleted system, complicated in many points, and very bad to anything except duels or bouts. (The non-combat skill rolls are particularly awful). But, I must concede that from a simulationist point of view, it is one of the most complex maneuver and countermaneuver system I saw for duels.
It sounds complex but the basic idea of having to spread your dice into ATK or DEF on a turn by turn basis seems pretty cool and you could certainly simplify the rest. Adding a momentum mechanic would help so going for a reckless action could swing that momentum in your favor if used properly.

Jaeger

That someone better
Honor+Intrigue more or less hits all your bullet points.

Different weapons and fighting styles are better at different maneuvers. Once pc’s advance their fighting styles a bit it is one of the few systems where you can intentionally string moves together.

It might not be quite as intricate as what you are describing, but having run several sessions I’d say that it is worth looking at given your criteria.

Edit: There are fan handouts for the dueling system - which between those and reviews should give you and idea how it works without buying the game.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It sounds complex but the basic idea of having to spread your dice into ATK or DEF on a turn by turn basis seems pretty cool and you could certainly simplify the rest. Adding a momentum mechanic would help so going for a reckless action could swing that momentum in your favor if used properly.
Momentum is a thing I’m working on in my own game, and it will be more important when I write the “lead people into battle” rules.

Your leader recklessly charging in the point where the line can’t keep holding and causing everyone near them to gain a second wind and fighting like crazed is a big deal in the romanticization of the warrior culture of Medieval Europe (and probably elsewhere), and fantasy media. The king leads from the front, and the presence of the king bolsters the troops.

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
I opened this thread and thought I may mention Fight to Survive: Martial Arts meets Heart and then the first reply was this; and I definitely had to.

During the last D&D 5E campaign I played, there was a situation where the characters could get into individual pitfights, with the other players betting on the outcome. Rather than run these using the 5E system, our DM boiled them down to glorified Rock/Paper/Scissors (three wins for a victory). It was by far the most fun we had with combat in the campaign.

Fight to Survive uses a sort of rock/paper/scissors style - certain moves trump others and for others you "tie" and compare technique ratings to break them. You do "exchange of blows" in sets of three* moves. Pick your 3 secretly, then reveal one by one and the opponent tries to beat the first, you try to beat their response, etc.

It encourages the one-on-one duel's of the genre with an interesting rule: you only gain experience by watching other capable martial artists fight.
I've talked about it a little more here and you can pick it up here (link to the marketplace I run, prices default to $CAD).

This isn't quite as nuanced as the OP seems to be looking for, but it really captures a lot of the tension and choice of approach of getting into a duel wonderfully.
When I was reading it I kind of wanted to create a variant for blustering, dueling, sword-masters/instructors and their pupils in 1500s Italy or something.

*one party might gain an extra move, giving them a significant advantage.

This... Song of Swords is based in the Riddle of Steel. I was attempting to remember the name of this game. :)

There is some games based on a same old engine and I will not remember the name of them all, but one is Song of Swords. It is a system with a Combat Pool. Essentially, you have X d10 each turn of combat and split them between offensive and defensive maneuvers. You also must stat, at the start of each turn, if you are being reckless, cautious, or middle ground. Then, roll the assigned dice to empower the meneuvers you have, most of them specific of a certain type of weapon.

My personal oppinion is that is a convuleted system, complicated in many points, and very bad to anything except duels or bouts. (The non-combat skill rolls are particularly awful). But, I must concede that from a simulationist point of view, it is one of the most complex maneuver and countermaneuver system I saw for duels.

The games Atomoctba is refering to have adopted the TROSlikes moniker.
Besides Song of Swords, two other TROSlikes I am aware of are:

- Sword & Scoundrel (Beta)

the comments section suggest this may be the best option out of the other TROSlikes (which i think broadly have the features you're after)

- Blade of the Iron Throne

An older TROSlike - there is a very positive review that describes its features that you may find useful. (Although the author of the review was later won over by Sword & Scoundrel as the more elegant system)

Remove ads