• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: Get Me to the Church on Time (DM: BenBrown, Judge: Renau1g)

Mewness

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Just putting in a link to Mal Malenkirk's rules in case anyone wants them from the horse's mouth. Not all L4W DMs use them, but it's getting pretty prevalent.[/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
"I an I come fo all'a'ya! Ya 'ear?!" Spider bellowed, charging forward into the space Zardi vacated, thrusting his huge blade into the hobgoblin.

OOC: If Zardi didn't drop it, hopefully I did.

[sblock=Action Block, Mini-Stats]

[sblock=Action Block]
Minor: N/A (in charge stance already)
Move: N/A
Standard: Charge Flail 1 (End at J11)

[/sblock][sblock=Spider Stat block]Jarro 'Spider' Sarak - Male Half-Orc Slayer 1
Initiative: +4, Passive Perception: +10, Passive Insight: +10

Defenses:

AC: 17, Fort: 16, Reflex: 14, Will: 11 -- Speed: 6 (+2 Charging)

Vitality:
HP: 24/27, THP: 5/5 Bloodied: 13, Surge Value: 6, Surges left: 6/9
Action Points: 0/1, Second Wind: not used

Languages:
Allarian (Common), Giant

Basic Attacks
:
:bmelee: Basic Melee Attack: +8 vs AC - Fullblade 1d12+8
:ranged: Ranged Basic Attack: +8 vs AC - Dagger 1d4+8

Powers:
At-Will:
MBA, Charge MBA, RBA, Berserker's Charge Stance, Poised Assault Stance
Encounter: Furious Assault, Power Strike, Half-Orc Resilience
Daily:

Weapons:
1 Fullblade 1d12
1 Dagger 1d4

[/sblock][sblock=Spider's Journal]
1. Lord Adelin Mallaby recruits me and some other adventurers from the Tavern. He asked for protection, on a trip to Allaria. He is to be wed to Elena of Terconis, daughter of the Count of Terconis. According to tradition, the wedding must take place at the ancient chapel of the Terconis family, and the chapel in Count's Crovale lies in the high hills of old Allaria. The lady and the Count are already there.
2. The adventurers board Starlight's Veil, Mallaby's brig. The ship is built for speed, not cargo or battle.
3. Intended Path: Land at Ristaren (100 miles south of Fromish), and make our way up the old highway to here. A mile or two off the highway is the village of Achirem, which is still thriving in the midst of rough country, so they say. From there we cross Derianis ridge, and then down to Crovale. The last part through the hills may be dangerous.
4. We land at Ristaren, and it is a small, poor town.
5. We killed a bunch of spiders.
6. We arrived at Achirem, where Kelvan told us to watch out for:
a. Bramble scar: some kind of trap/pit thing we can't avoid.
b. Hzaka Raiders
c. Ismene: Local robin hood bandit type. Lady, with a band of rugged ladies.
7. Get Jumped, or try to Jump, some Hzaka Raiders.

NickNames
Grava
God Sword
Mount'in-mon
Gold'orn
Mista Magi
Lor' Malabee
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
Eraden strikes out with his sword. He fails to bring down the hobgoblin, but the divine power flowing through him affects the foe.[sblock=Eraden's actions]
Minor: Divine Challenge on Flail 1.
Standard: Enfeebling Strike vs. Flail 1 (1d20+8=9), miss.[/sblock]Perin moves forward to get a clear shot, and again unleashes his lightning at the hobgoblin, but this shot too fails to find its target.[sblock=Perin's actions]
Move: to N11
Standard: Lightning Strike vs. Flail 1 (1d20+4=12), miss.[/sblock]Compelled to face Eraden, the Hobgoblin leader lashes at Eraden with his flail. It bounces off the Paladin's heavy armor.

The sword wielder stays next to him, getting on the downhill side of Zardi, whom he strikes at with a blow that doesn't even come close.

The goblin uphill of Zardi, seeing an opportunity, drops his bow, draws a short but vicious-looking sword moves forward to attack, with about as much effectiveness as his larger cohort.

The other two archers on that side fire at Zardi as well, one shaft going true.

On the other flank, the hobgoblin second-in-command swings his flail at Graval, drawing blood, then barks a command, and steps away. As he does so, two things happen. First, Graval swings at him, but the blow is wild and misses. Second , his companion steps up and hits the Dwarf with his sword, before stepping away himself, leaving a tempting, but dangerous space to fit through.

The archers behind them also fire, and two black-feathered shafts cut through Graval's defenses.[sblock=enemy actions]
Flail 1
Standard: Flail vs. Eraden (1d20+8=19), miss.
Sword 3
Move: Shift to J13
Standard: Longsword vs. Zardi (1d20+6=9), miss.
Goblin 5
Free: drop bow
Minor: draw short sword
Move: to H13
Standard: Short sword vs. Zardi (1d20+8+2=12), miss.
Goblin 2
Standard: Short bow vs. Zardi (1d20+8=14), miss.
Goblin 3
Standard: Short bow vs. Zardi (1d20+8=18), 4 damage.

Flail 2
Standard: Flail vs. Graval (1d20+10=20, 1d10+5=8) (originally forgot CA)
Move: Phalanx Movement, shifts to H9, Sword 4 shifts to I9
Graval's free attack against mark: MBA vs. Flail #2 (1d20+7=8), miss.
Sword 4
Standard: Longsword vs. Graval (1d20+6=23), 5 damage.
Shift to I8
Goblin 1
Standard: Short bow vs. Graval (1d20+8=21), 4 damage.
Goblin 4
Standard: Short bow vs. Graval (1d20+8=21), 4 damage.
[/sblock][sblock=map]
Encounter2Round3.gif

The brown circles are tree trunks, which are impassible and block line of sight.
The groups of brown rectangles are brush piles. They're difficult terrain to move through and standing behind them provides cover against ranged attacks.
The gold colored lines across the map are contour lines indicating a change in elevation. When moving uphill (towards the top of the map) they cost an extra square of movement to cross, except when on the trail (the swath down the middle of the map).
[/sblock][sblock=status]Eraden: K11 HP 41+10/41, Surges 11/12, AP 1, second wind unused
Goldenhorn: K10 HP 12/27, Surges 10/10, AP 1, second wind unused
Graval: J10 HP 6/31, Surges 12/12, AP 0, second wind unused
Perin: N11 HP 25/25, Surges 7/7, AP 1, second wind unused
Spider: J11 HP 24+5/27, Surges 8/9, AP 0, second wind unused
Zardi: I13 HP 16/31, Surges 9/11, AP 0, second wind used

Mallaby: R13 HP 26/26, Surges 5/5, AP 0, second wind unused

Flail Hobgoblin #1: K12 HP 5/49, divine challenge by Eraden
Flail Hobgoblin #2: I9 HP 35/49, marked by Graval, CA against Graval
Sword Hobgoblin #3: J13 HP 1/1
Sword Hobgoblin #4: I8 HP 1/1
Goblin #1: F7 HP 1/1
Goblin #2: F15 HP 1/1
Goblin #3: F16 HP 1/1
Goblin #4: E8 HP 1/1
Goblin #5: G13 HP 1/1[/sblock][sblock=Mallaby]Lord Adelin Mallaby
AC: 15, Fort: 12, Ref: 13, Will: 14
:bmelee: Rapier +6 vs. AC, 1d8+4
Speed 6
HP: 26, Surge Value 6, Surges per day 5
Second Wind: unused

Mallaby is not a fully trained fighter. He will only defend himself on his own. He will however, follow orders.
As a minor action, any character can have Mallaby spend an action. He can't use more than the usual complement (standard, move, minor) in one turn, but a PC's minor action can be used for any of them.

Try not to get him killed. He is paying for this, after all.[/sblock][sblock=enemies]Flail Hobgoblin: AC 19, Fort 17, Ref 15, Will 15
:bmelee: +8 vs. AC, 1d10+5 and target is marked until the beginning of the Hobgoblin's next turn.
These guys have an immediate interrupt, the result of which the first time in a round that one of their adjacent allies would be hit by an attack vs. AC or Ref that hits by a margin of less than two, the attack misses.

Sword Hobgoblin: AC 17, Fort 15, Ref 13, Will 12
+2 to AC if adjacent to at least one hobgoblin ally.
:bmelee: +6 vs. AC, 5 damage.

Goblin: AC 13, Fort 13, Ref 14, Will 12
:bmelee: (#5) +8 vs. AC, 4 damage.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Tenchuu

First Post
OOC: Thanks for trying to take out the near-dead dude BB

With an angry warcry, Spider shifted his stance and delivered an overhead strike, the weight of his heavy sword crushing the hobgoblins skull in. As the leader fell to the ground, Spider bellowed, "Dis da fate dat become ya'all!"

Breathing heavily, he surveyed the battlefield and had a moment of clarity. Stepping back, Spider moved next to Perin. "Grava, dis terrain issa trickster at best. So don do anyting stupid now, ya 'ear?"

[sblock=Action Block, Mini-Stats]

[sblock=Action Block]
Minor: Poised Assault Stance
Standard: MBA Flail 1

Move: to N11
[/sblock][sblock=Spider Stat block]Jarro 'Spider' Sarak - Male Half-Orc Slayer 1
Initiative: +4, Passive Perception: +10, Passive Insight: +10

Defenses:

AC: 17, Fort: 16, Reflex: 14, Will: 11 -- Speed: 6 (+2 Charging)

Vitality:
HP: 24/27, THP: 5/5 Bloodied: 13, Surge Value: 6, Surges left: 6/9
Action Points: 0/1, Second Wind: not used

Languages:
Allarian (Common), Giant

Basic Attacks
:
:bmelee: Basic Melee Attack: +8 vs AC - Fullblade 1d12+8
:ranged: Ranged Basic Attack: +8 vs AC - Dagger 1d4+8

Powers:
At-Will:
MBA, Charge MBA, RBA, Berserker's Charge Stance, Poised Assault Stance
Encounter: Furious Assault, Power Strike, Half-Orc Resilience
Daily:

Weapons:
1 Fullblade 1d12
1 Dagger 1d4

[/sblock][sblock=Spider's Journal]
1. Lord Adelin Mallaby recruits me and some other adventurers from the Tavern. He asked for protection, on a trip to Allaria. He is to be wed to Elena of Terconis, daughter of the Count of Terconis. According to tradition, the wedding must take place at the ancient chapel of the Terconis family, and the chapel in Count's Crovale lies in the high hills of old Allaria. The lady and the Count are already there.
2. The adventurers board Starlight's Veil, Mallaby's brig. The ship is built for speed, not cargo or battle.
3. Intended Path: Land at Ristaren (100 miles south of Fromish), and make our way up the old highway to here. A mile or two off the highway is the village of Achirem, which is still thriving in the midst of rough country, so they say. From there we cross Derianis ridge, and then down to Crovale. The last part through the hills may be dangerous.
4. We land at Ristaren, and it is a small, poor town.
5. We killed a bunch of spiders.
6. We arrived at Achirem, where Kelvan told us to watch out for:
a. Bramble scar: some kind of trap/pit thing we can't avoid.
b. Hzaka Raiders
c. Ismene: Local robin hood bandit type. Lady, with a band of rugged ladies.
7. Get Jumped, or try to Jump, some Hzaka Raiders.

NickNames
Grava
God Sword
Mount'in-mon
Gold'orn
Mista Magi
Lor' Malabee
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

bluesfella

Explorer
Seeing the lead Hobgoblin fall, Zardi crouches down, then ducks past the sword-wielder, using his strength and speed to avoid attacks from it and the goblin that was flanking him. As he turns to face the sword-wielder, he brings his axe up and catches him across the face, splitting his head in two. Zardi immediately leaps forward and charges the goblin that was once behind him. With one crushing blow, he buries his axe into the goblin, ending his life. Now covered in goblin blood, Zardi stands up looks at the goblin that shot him just moment ago. He smiles a wicked grin at him, and slowly pulls the arrow from his side.[sblock=Actions]Standard: Pressing Strike vs. Sword 3 (power includes a shift 2 to K13)
Free: Feral Might-Swift Charge against Goblin 5 (ending at I13)
Free: Gain 3 temp HP from Rageblood Vigor
Move:none
Minor:Look as bad-ass as possible[/sblock][sblock=Rolls]Pressing Strike vs. Sword 3 (1d20+7=20, 1d12+5=10)
Charge vs. Goblin 5 (1d20+8=27, 1d12+1d6+5=16)[/sblock][sblock=Zardi's Stats]Zardi - Goliath Barbarian 1
Initiative: +0, Passive Perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10, Senses: Normal vision
AC:16, Fort:17, Reflex:10, Will:12
Basic Attack Greataxe: +7 vs AC, 1d12 +5 damage (When charging, add 1d6 damage from Howling Strike)
Ranged Basic Attack Throwing Hammer: +7 vs AC, 1d6+5 damage
HP:16+3/31, Bloodied:15, Surge Value:7, Surges left:9/11
Action Points: 0, Second Wind: used
Powers: Howling Strike, Pressing Strike, Rageblood Vigor
[-]Stone's Endurance[/-], [-]Feral Might: Swift Charge[/-], [-]Great Cleave[/-]
Bloodhunt Rage

Conditions:none[/sblock]

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
[sblock=BenBrown]
OOC: @BB, with the Dwarven Armor received last combat, Graval has an AC of 21 so even with the CA given to the Flail Hobgoblin, shouldn't his attack still be a miss? I'll assume that it is and re-add the hit points unless you rule otherwise.

Also, first priority for Combat Challenge will be the Sword Hobgoblin (to prevent any flanking attempt). If he doesn't move then use it on the Flail Hobgoblin.
[/sblock]

Hardly hearing Spider and disregarding his own warning to the rest of the party, Graval, with a sudden surge of energy, steps forward and swings his weapon in a hearty arc. The dangerous edge of his axe sneaks past the flail-wielding hobgoblin's defenses and carves into the monster's side. The dwarf uses the momentum of his successful attack to send a quick jab at the hobgoblin holding the sword, but is parried by the beast when steel rings on steel.

"C'mon then! Got enough fer tha lot o' ye," he roars defiantly.

[sblock=Actions]Free - Dwarven Armor: gain hit points as if spent a surge (+7 hp)
Minor - Dwarven Resilience: spend healing surge (+7 hp, +2 to all defenses until SONT)
Move - Shift > I9
Standard -
  • Target - Flail Hobgoblin #2 (H9)
  • Attack - Hack and Hew vs. AC 19; 1d20+7=25
  • Damage - Battleaxe; 1d10+4=10
  • Misc - Flail Hobgoblin #2 (H9) marked by Graval; Graval gains +3 THP from Invigorating keyword; Graval makes a secondary attack.
  • Secondary Target - Sword Hobgoblin #4 (I8)
  • Attack - Hack and Hew vs. AC 19; 1d20+7=9
  • Misc - Sword Hobgoblin #4 (I8) marked by Graval
[/sblock][sblock=Graval]Graval Metalrent - Male Dwarf Fighter 1
Init: +2, Passive Percept: 17, Passive Insight: 12
AC: 21, F: 16, R: 14, W: 12, Spd: 5
HP: 28/31, THP: 3/3, Blood: 15, Surge: 7, Surges left: 11/12
Second Wind: Used, AP: 0/1, Milestones: 0
Str: 18, Con: 16, Dex: 14, Int: 8, Wis: 14, Cha: 11

Basic Attacks:
:bmelee: Basic Melee Attack: +7 vs AC - Battleaxe; 1d10+4
:ranged: Ranged Basic Attack: +7 vs AC - Throwing Hammer; 1d6+4

Powers:
Combat Challenge, Brash Strike, Footwork Lure
Hack and Hew, Dwarven Resilience
Driving Attack, Dwarven Armor

Misc: If an enemy marked by Graval shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include him, he uses Combat Challenge (+9 vs. AC; 1d10+4) as an Immediate Interrupt against them. If hit, and a shift or move action caused the attack, they lose the action.

Conditions:
+2 to all defenses until SONT.
[/sblock]
OOC: Just an FYI, if Eraden or Goldenhorn steps up next to Graval, they can prevent the flank and solidify this side of the battlefield.

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
[sblock=BenBrown]
OOC: @BB, with the Dwarven Armor received last combat, Graval has an AC of 21 so even with the CA given to the Flail Hobgoblin, shouldn't his attack still be a miss? I'll assume that it is and re-add the hit points unless you rule otherwise.
[/sblock]
[sblock=horticulture]
GM: Aaargh. I was going off your character sheet, which still reads "20". Yeah, I know, stuff not officially given out yet, so it's as much my fault as anyone's. The sad part is I initially forgot the CA, and went back and retconned this to a hit. I should have left well enough alone.
[/sblock]

Mewness

First Post
Goldenhorn edges around the tree, breathing heavily.

[sblock=actions]Move to L8

Standard: second wind (surge for 6 hp)[/sblock]
[sblock=Goldenhorn]Ingvar Goldenhorn Male Minotaur Cleric|Runepriest 1
Initiative: +0, Passive Perception: 16, Passive Insight: 14, Senses: Normal
AC:17 (19), Fort:14 (16), Reflex:11 (13), Will:16 (18)
HP:18/27, Bloodied:13, Surge Value:6, Surges left:9/10
Action Points: 1
Righteous Brand
Word of Binding

Goring Charge
Divine Glow
Healing Word
Rune of Mending
Second Wind

Moment of Glory

Conditions: +2 defenses (second wind)

Defiant Word: Whenever an enemy misses Goldenhorn with an attack, he gains a +4 (non-cumulative) bonus to damage rolls against that enemy until the end of his next turn.

Full sheet: Goldenhorn[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads