Adventure: Long Arm Of Lauto, Obolus. (DM: CaBaNa, Judge: by covaithe

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Yes, the judge (covaithe in this case) will step in to run the game to the finish (we have the adventure proposal, this is why it's important to detail things in case we need to step in) and therefore he can't judge anymore. That's why I offered.

So from your perspective nothing should change, the story will continue as it was planned (possibly with some minor changes by cov, if necessary). [/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
OOC: I apologize for newbie question, but what happens now? Just DM change like in the last fight and we continue as if nothing happened?

ooc: Yes, that's pretty much it. renau1g will take over judging this time, since I expect this DM change to be permanent (thanks, r1!), but otherwise, same as before.

covaithe

Explorer
After the long and trying battle, you rest. Ibram plays a soothing melody, and soon your strength returns and the pain is but a fleeting memory.

Cyr takes a few minutes to perform a ritual, seeking divine guidance about how best to go about recovering the Obolus. The hand of fate's advice is clear: it points directly toward the nearby hut. Myri smiles a nasty smile, but her face goes slack when the haft of Rocco's axe clips her soundly behind the ear. She collapses, unconscious again.

Rocco and Aurak approach the small cabin first, followed closely by Ibram. Cyr, Silphyus, and Kryath bring up the rear.

The cabin is a simple, sturdily built affair of hewn logs, roughly squared by hand tools, and sealed with mud and pitch. The thatched roof is perhaps two feet thick and looks fairly new: the compacted straw is still green in places. Smoke billows lazily from a brick chimney to the east. There are two windows, facing south and west, of thick, bubbly glass, but heavy curtains on the inside prevent sight inside. The cabin has one door, centrally located on the north wall.

After failing to hear anything listening at the door and windows, and unsuccessfully trying to peer through the curtains, Rocco tries the door. He finds it unlocked, and carefully pushes it open.

The inside of the cabin is a single, snugly furnished room. A narrow cot with a straw-tick mattress sits against the south wall, tucked between a small bookshelf and a pot-bellied iron stove whose chimney-pipe leads up into a brick enclosure, its door open to reveal a cozy fire. Neatly stacked in corners are the tools of a woodsman's trade: axes, saws, wedges, spikes, and lots of rope.

In the northeast corner of the room is a large, shadowy figure, nearly twice the height of a grown man. The room is dimly lit, but between the flames and the afternoon sunlight streaming in through the curtains and the door, Rocco's dwarven eyes should easily have been able to penetrate the shadows and see the creature clearly, but strain as he might, all he can make out is that it has more limbs than it should. Many more limbs; and that they are longer and more flexible than arms should be.

Glowing green eyes lock onto Rocco's, and a heavy voice rumbles, Who you? You thieves to steal coin? Not take! I guard! Stay back!

Perhaps belatedly, you remember Nerve, the priest you spoke to in the Chapel of Obolus, mentioning something about a powerful guardian who had disappeared along with the coin...

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: not late, we're are (or at least I am) aware of it. IC we're hoping to talk to it and persuade it to return with us. That said, Rocco is not social skills type so others should start talking, Rocco won't attack unless attacked. Is there a skill challenge in this?

"We're here at behest of the Temple of Lauto and it's headmaster High Priest Belingras sent us to recover stolen coin. It is you and your companions who took it out of the temple. You were duped."

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
"We're here at behest of the Temple of Lauto and it's headmaster High Priest Belingras sent us to recover stolen coin. It is you and your companions who took it out of the temple. You were duped."

"Temple? You no priest! What is 'duped'? The creature's voice is suspicious, and its posture tense.

[sblock=ooc]If you want to handle this peacefully, then yes, it will be a skill challenge. Social skills are primary: diplomacy, bluff, intimidate, and insight. Other skills can be used as secondaries, to provide bonuses to future primary skill checks. I'm going to be eyeballing the DCs, and adjusting them based on what you actually try to do, how well it fits the situation, and how well it's roleplayed. I'm usually okay with several people aiding another, as long as it makes some kind of sense, but I don't allow retroactive aiding. Once you've rolled the dice, that's it.

Also, CMoss sent a PM a week or two ago, bowing out of PbP gaming for the foreseeable future, so Aurak is an NPC for the moment. He won't be making primary checks, but you guys can use him to make secondary checks if you want.
[/sblock]

"It means they lied to you, good Guardian."speaks Cyr as he comes closer
"No, we're not priests, at least not of Lauto, you're right. We're just emissaries sent to return thieves to the temple along with the coin. They were all surprised you allowed anyone to take the coin outside. You could come with us same way you came here and we return to the temple. You can then ask High Priest himself what is the truth.

If I were you I'd be suspicious of strangers telling me things. So I'm ready to come to you as a garantie you won't be lied to again.

Look at me! I'm an angel of the Sky Lord. This one here is a paladin. Would he join forces with thieves? Would I?"

[sblock=Skill rolls]
Insight (1d20+10=21); Religion (1d20+10=27)
Arcana (1d20+8=10)

Insight to follow reaction of the guardian to particular parts of the speech and to adjust slightly to follow what it wants presented in most palatable way.

Religion (or Arcana) to know it's type, attacks, weakness etc...esp. attack modes (i.e. if it targets AC astral blades will be first spell if we get to combat)

Dungeoneering and Nature are at +5 feel free to roll them for me if they are applicable to the guardian.

BTW how one knows which type is the creature (that is, what roll to make)? I don't own any monster manuals for 4e
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
"It means they lied to you, good Guardian."speaks Cyr as he comes closer
"No, we're not priests, at least not of Lauto, you're right. We're just emissaries sent to return thieves to the temple along with the coin. They were all surprised you allowed anyone to take the coin outside. You could come with us same way you came here and we return to the temple. You can then ask High Priest himself what is the truth.

If I were you I'd be suspicious of strangers telling me things. So I'm ready to come to you as a garantie you won't be lied to again.

Look at me! I'm an angel of the Sky Lord. This one here is a paladin. Would he join forces with thieves? Would I?"

"They told me you would say that," it responds smugly. "Told me thieves would come, try to claim to be not thieves. I not fooled. I keep coin safe! Safe from you or anyone."

Cyr's words do not sway the creature, but its reaction reveals valuable information nonetheless.

[sblock=Cyr]Insight: The creature is clearly not very bright. The two shadar-kai have had a long time to feed it their lies, and it seems to have swallowed them whole. It won't be willing to take your word against theirs that you are agents of the church, but if you could offer it convincing proof that they lied, that might shake its faith the stories it has been fed.

Religion: The Temple of Lauto, more so than other temples, employs creatures of shadow as guardians and allies. Not surprising, considering that Lauto is often linked with the Shadowfell in religious texts. Lauto's shadow creatures tend to be more loyal to the church and less manipulative and self-serving than shadow creatures encountered elsewhere.

Arcana: This is indeed a creature of shadow. Its long arms probably mean that it can attack from a longer distance than you can.
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc on monster knowledges]By the book, monster knowledge is done with a specific skill relating to the type of that monster. For example, you use Arcana for knowledge about creatures with the shadow origin, such as this. Since you won't generally know the type of monster before making the roll, you can either ask me what kind of check to make, or just guess. If you guess wrong, you may have to make another check.

I find the by-the-book assignment of monster knowledge skills a bit limiting sometimes; clearly in this case Religion was appropriate, so I gave you something for a good check there.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Skill challenge]1 success.
[/sblock]

"So, when they claim they're not thieves they are telling the truth and we're lying? And yet, you allowed your sacred charge to be taken out of the temple. How do you know they speak the truth? We're the ones trying to get coin back. I am willing to come to you so you can kill me if anything goes amiss. AND you keep the coin safe while we go back. They lied to you and now you don't believe in truth. Where are you going with the coin?"

OOC: I cannot very well communicate Insight result directly in front of it so I'm continuing this conversation, but without skill roll just to make information available to others. Maybe if someone gives it that poor minion bandit to interrogate he spills something useful? I don't know how to prove to it that shadar-kai lied and besides everyone needs ot make a roll :)

Last edited:

Remove ads