• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: Lord Byron’s Economic Woes (DM: Tenchuu, Judge: H.M.Gimlord)

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Ditto on the tokens, that definitely helps tell who is who and looks nice! [/sblock]

Hergunna stays alert, drifting towards the center of the big room, looking for threats coming from unexpected directions.

[sblock=ooc]Move to D12. Try to get a peek down that eastern corridor.
I'm not sure of the light situation, are there areas of the big room and eastern corridor that can't be seen due to darkness? Hergunna will light her own sunrod if so.[/sblock]

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=Kane's Light]Sorry for not being more clear. The upper passage turns left. The lower passage is a T-shape intersection, with the passaging turning left and right.[/sblock][sblock=Right Side passage Light]Maptool does not have Kane's sunrod illuminating the area, and I tend to agree (though if there is a rule to over-rule me, let me know). If you draw a line from the center of kane's square, the corner of this square is blocking the light from getting down the other corridor (just barely). So, the only light in that area would be the light reflected off the other walls. Therefore, it's a bit dim, I'm afraid. Hard to see much of anything. But, it's not pitch black either.[/sblock][sblock=Pseudo-Turn]This is an almost turn. So, I'll be leniant with the use of skills and movement (to an extent). However, I will wait until everyone gives an action to resolve them.[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Bah on MapTool's realistic lighting! This is D&D, the light just magically goes 20 squares even around corners! :)

But whatever, Hergunna will gladly light a sunrod to light up down the other passage.[/sblock]

johnmeier1

Explorer
Wil sees the explorers moveing ahead, so he moves to follow.

[sblock=OOC]Figuring they will move down one of those passages, Wil will move to the junction. E7
[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Kane will begin moving south, towards the intersection, tossing the sunrod ahead of him before he does.

[sblock=ooc]
Move to the T-junction, unless something stops me [/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
Mervin continues to follow, staying generally in the middle of the group, ready and waiting to blast any rodents that come into view.

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=Initiative]I rolled a nat 20 for the enemies, which makes their initiative 26 (rats), 20 (jelly), and 29(?). Since Kane is the only one who rolled over 20, but the rats (his closest enemy) still beat him, I'm just going to have the enemy turn first, for simplicity sake.[/sblock]
Kane threw the sunrod to the south, and followed. Stanng moved up, stepping just into the northern pass, guarding this side of the tunnel as Kane proceeded, since it was so narrow. Mervin came up behind Stanng, and Wil followed as well.

Kane moved deeper into the mines, stopping at the next junction to look around. To his right (looking west), Kane spotted hundreds of rats, all crawling on top of one another. They were in a mount on top of something. One rat looked at Kane and let loose a feral scream, which focused all the other rats on the new prey. With unsettling quickness, the creatures ran at the berserker, crawling over themselves. They rushed Kane, biting at his feet, but the berserker was able to kick them away, keeping the horde at bay.

Queued by the screaching alarm, a second rat swarm emerged from the northern pass. The wall of rats lunged at Stanng's feet. They bit down hard, but the shifter's scale armor held up to their attacks.

Meanwhile, on the large room, Hergunna lit her own sunrod to illuminate the eastern pass. As she did, the light glistened off green puddle. Alarmingly, the ooze lurched forward. As it reached her feet, the ooze formed into a stiff wall and slammed against her. The attack felt like running into a brick wall. And as the slim reverted to puddle form before her, Hergunna noticed that part of the slim was still on her, burning into her clothing.

Hergunna spots more movement in the eastern chamber: creatures crawling on the ceiling. But as she take a closer look, the creatures seem to blend in with the rock.

[sblock=Mechanics]
Rat Swarm 1
Move: G1 to G2 to G3 to G4 to G5
Standard: Bite Kane
Attack: 1D20 + 6 => 9 Miss

Rat Swarm 2
Move: to C6
Standard: Bite Stanng
Attack: 1D20 + 6 => 18 Miss

Ochre Jelly
Move: C17 to C16 to D15 to D14 to D13
Standard: Slam
Attack: 1D20 + 8 => 25 Hit
Damage: 2D6 + 1 => 9 + 5 ongoing acid damage (save ends).

Cavern Choker 1
Move: to C17

Cavern Choker 2
Move: to C19

[/sblock][sblock=Status]
Wil Rando: E7 33/33 HS 10/10 AP 1
Mervin: E6 23/23 HS 7/7 AP 1
Hergunna: D12 27/36 HS 9/9 AP 1 5-ongoing-acid
Kane: G6 41/41 HS 10/10 AP 1
Stanng: D6 31/31 HS 10/10 AP 1

Enemies:
Rat Swarm: G5 36/36, Swarm Attack Aura 1
Rat Swarm: C6 36/36, Swarm Attack Aura 1
Ochre Jelly: D13 102/102 AP 1
Cavern Choker: C17 42/42, concealment
Cavern Choker: C19 42/42, concealment
[/sblock][sblock=map]
Byron7-7.png

[/sblock][sblock=Enemies]
Rat Swarm - Medium natural beast (swarm) - Level 2 Skirmisher
Senses Perception +6; low-light vision
Swarm Attack aura 1; the rat swarm makes a basic attack as a free action against each enemy that begins its turn in the aura.
HP 36; Bloodied 18
AC 15; Fortitude 12, Reflex 14, Will 11
Resist half damage from melee and ranged attacks; Vulnerable 5 damage from close and area attacks
Speed 4, climb 2
Swarm of Teeth (standard, at-will)
+6 vs AC; 1d6+3 damage, and ongoing 3 damage (save ends).

Ochre Jelly - Large natural beast (ooze) - Level 3 Elite Brute
HP 102; Bloodied 51
AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 14, Will 14
Immune gaze; Resist 5 acid
Saving Throws +2
Speed 4
Action Points 1
Slam (standard, at-will) Acid
+8 vs AC; 2d6+1 damage, and ongoing 5 acid damage (save ends).
Flowing Form (move; at-will)
The ochre jelly shifts 4 squares.
Split (immediate reaction, when first bloodied; encounter)
The ochre jelly splits into two, each with hit points equal to one-half its current hit points. Effects applied to the original ochre jelly do not apply to the second one. An ochre jelly can’t split if reduced to 0 hit points by the attack that bloodied it. Left alone, the two halves recombine into a single creature at the end of the encounter.

Cavern Choker - Small natural humanoid - Level 4 Lurker
HP 42; Bloodied 21
AC 17 (see also chameleon hide); Fortitude 15, Refl ex 15, Will 13
Speed 6, climb 6 (spider climb)
Tentacle Claw (standard; at-will)
Reach 2; +9 vs. AC; 1d8 + 3 damage, and the target is grabbed (until escape). A target trying to escape the grab takes a –4 penalty to the check.
Choke (standard; at-will)
Grabbed target only; +9 vs. Fortitude; 1d8 + 3 damage.
Body Shield (immediate interrupt, when targeted by a melee or a ranged attack against Reflex or AC; recharges when the choker makes a successful tentacle claw or choke attack) The cavern choker makes its grabbed victim the target instead. The choker cannot use this power to redirect attacks made by a creature it is currently grabbing.
Chameleon Hide (minor; at-will)
The cavern choker gains concealment until the start of its next turn. It can’t use this power while grabbing a creature or while grabbed.
[/sblock][sblock=Rats Aura]Don't forget, if you start your turn adjacent to the rats, they essentially gain an OA on you. So be sure to roll for strike/damage.[/sblock]

Last edited:

evilbob

Explorer
"You know what rhymes with 'rats?' 'Bats!'" With that a sudden burst of translucent bats appears in Kane's square, attacking the rats and distracting them but leaving Kane harmlessly alone.

[sblock=attack]Winged horde centered on G6; area burst 1; enemies only. Attack 16 vs will; damage 11 + 5 vulnerable = 16 psychic damage Rats cannot take OA until the end of my next turn; however, depending on the wording of their aura this probably doesn't apply to their aura ability (depends on whether it -is- an OA or just a free attack that acts like one).

Mervin moves to E8.[/sblock]

Stepping back, Mervin shouts, "Bugbear, paladin: we have some - uh, bigger issues behind us! If you want, leave the rats to me - between my spells and this tiny passageway I think I can handle them!"

[sblock=ooc]Mervin is suggesting letting the rats come to him in the tiny passageway so that he can AOE them both at once. It'll take everyone moving back, tho.[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
ooc = Opps, forgot this:

[sblock=Mervin ministats]Mervin Male Human Wizard 1
Initiative: +1, Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 17, Senses: Normal
AC:18, Fort:12, Reflex:16, Will:14
HP:23/23, Bloodied:11, Surge Value:5, Surges left:7/7
Action Points/Milestones: 1/0
Powers:
Phantom Bolt
Winged Horde
Thunderwave
(Wizard cantrips)

Orbmaster's Incendiary Detonation
Staff of Defense

Flaming Sphere

Equipment of note:
- Potion of Healing: good for this adventure only

Important Stuff:
- When attacked with psychic power can make monster knowledge check as imm. reaction, 1/enc/type

Conditions:
-

Full sheet: Mervin[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads