• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Murder Most Foul! Part 2 (Judge: EvolutionKB)

Otakkun

Explorer
[sblock=Garrick's retcon]
Since this turn of mine ended in such a confusing way, I'm basically reposting here so that it makes some sense.
Immediate Interrupt: Aegis of Shielding - reduced 9 of Knoepf's damage from Min 2.
Standard Action: Eldritch Strike on Min 2 - Missed.
Minor Action: Curse Minotaur 1
Move Action: Trade for Minor Action & Curse Hobgoblin 4 Learn to read.

Next turn

Garrick will use Dimensional Vortex if Vex is hit once again, unless his Aegis is triggered first.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Hmm, he has one damn nasty AC then :). I assumed a 25 would hit. I'll just stay put in there then. [/sblock]

[sblock=OOC, group tactics]Well guys, this encounter seems to be a lot more tough that I first thought, so we need to get our act together rather quick. Missing AC 25 kind of scared me ;) [/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]
A 20 on a will attack also missed, making them even tougher.
[/sblock]

KarinsDad

Adventurer
After a quick exchange of blows, Garrick notices that the flow of battle isn't going as well as he first hoped, Vex's position on the field leaving him way to vulnerable to multiple attacks from the crowd of goblinoids.

Keeping an eye open for his allies is something that comes almost as second hand to Garrick, the flow of arcane power flowing almost without his command as he notices one of the hobgoblins aiming for one of Vex's blind spot. "Hope you friend appretiates your blade more than us", he musses as the creature suddenly pops in and out of existance with his blade now directed towards one of the minotaur's side.

Unable to do more for the woman swordfighter, Garrick then focuses on his own foe, executing a vicious slash to the minotaur's upper body, arcane forces already at work as the creature is forced to move away from Garrick and his friends. "Stay!" he barks at the minotaur, his voice commanding.
Using the same arcane force he applied to force the minotaur away, Garrick slides backwards and out of the other hobgoblin's reach, taking advantage of that small break to call shadows upon his body as he partially disolves into darkness as he moves away.

The minotaur interposes its shield, preventing Garrick's attack from connecting.

Nicely done Garrick! Don't worry about Vex. I'll come to her aide.

Knoepf ignores pain from the multiple hits from the fighters and shouts to Vex. Stand your ground Vex. Create havoc with your blade! Knoepf the closes his eyes in concentration. Both Vex and Knoepf feel the healing warmth spread through their bodies.

Acre steps next to Knoepf and brushes him with the tips of his right hand - the dwarf feels an instant connection to the half-elf as both feel a protecting glow. The half elf then attempts to gut the minotaur directly in front of him with a powerful lunge.

Malehan follows the Minotaur as he is slided by Garrick. He then try to swing but he is still unable to connect with his opponent. "It seems I lack practice, big bull, you're lucky."

Energy shimmered around Vex for the briefest of moments, and her armor shifted from the light half-plate she had been wearing into a full suit of plate armor more suited to a heavy infantry soldier. "That's the spirit boys! Keep it up- we'll have a slaughterhouse on both sides of this place," Vex taunted the band of hobgoblins as she continued to swing her sword in a constant lashing spiral. She aimed another cut at the hobgoblin leader's head, and tried to tag the gnoll on the backswing. Despite (or perhaps because of) the foes pressing her, she seemed to be having fun...

Hobgoblin 1 swings its spear at Vex, but misses.

Hobgoblin 2 swings its first scimitar at Vex, but misses. It then swings its second scimitar at Vex's head, but Garrick beats it to the punch, teleporting it next to the Minotaur. The scimitar slices into the Minotaur's back. "Arggghhh." the minotaur shouts, the first time anyone heard anything from this minotaur.

Wincing from the pain of Vex's sword, Hobgoblin 3 shifts into flank with the Gnoll and viciously swings its scimitars against Vex twice. The first hits Vex in the shoulder, the second in the shin.

Hobgoblin 4 slices Garrick with its scimitars in the chest and the arm.

"HA. We not as easy as youse friends think little man. You fall down soon." Minotaur 1 says as it slashes Knoepf across his arm, but the blow is weakened by Acre's "magic".

Minotaur 2 swings another massive blow at Knoepf's head, this time, connecting solidly.

Gnoll 1 shoots an arrow into Garrick's leg.

Gnoll 2 shifts away, drops its handaxe and fires at Vex, but the table gets in the way.

"I hope you survive to learn your lesson Mr. Dwarf. Arrogance and violence is never the way. Violence should only be used in self defense." the warforged says. It then moves around the fight in order to get a better view.

The patrons continue to do nothing but watch and cheer.

[sblock=OOC]
Terrain: The tables and chair squares are difficult terrain. To go horizontally or vertically through a round table is just difficult terrain. To go diagonally through a round table or to cross over a rectangular table is both difficult terrain, and a DC 15 Athletics or Acrobatics check. Failure means that the PC slips and falls prone in the starting square and that ends his move action. For example, going from square M9 to O9 is a check and if it fails, the PC is prone in M9 and the move action is finished. The tables also provide cover from ranged attacks for those standing within or adjacent to a table/chair square in the opposing direction (e.g. F13 has cover from I8, but I8 doesn't have cover from F13).

Map guide: A yellow triangle indicates some type of condition or effect (marked, stunned, etc.). A blue circle indicates prone. A little red dot indicates bloodied.

Ok, I fixed Vex's hit points (I hope). She got hit 6 times, so she took 6 less damage due to her armor. The resist portion of her armor is on at all times.

Garrick misses Minotaur 2 and does not slide the minotaur.

Knoepf heals Vex and himself.

Malehan misses Minotaur 2.

Note: Since Garrick didn't hit and slide the Minotaur, I didn't move Malehan as you posted Velmont. Since you are on vacation and posting infrequently, I'll just have Malehan shift to K9 instead of the move you wrote in order to give himself flank on the Minotaur with Garrick.

Acre misses Minotaur 1.

Vex hits Hobgoblin 1 for 14 and Gnoll 2 for 4.

Hobgoblin 1 takes 6 damage from Rain of Steel and misses Vex.

Note: Rain of Steel isn't a single die roll for the entire turn. So, you can either roll a bunch of those rolls each round pathfinderq1 and I will assign them based on who is still around Vex in initiative order, or like the rest of this round, I can roll for you. Just let me know in your next action post.

Hobgoblin 2 takes 5 damage from Rain of Steel and misses Vex with its first attack. It tries to hit Vex with its second attack, but Garrick teleports it away and it hits Minotaur 2 for 20.

Hobgoblin 3 takes 14 damage from Rain of Steel, shifts to H11 and hits Vex for 8 which becomes 7 due to resist armor, and hits Vex for 7 which becomes 6 due to resist armor.

Hobgoblin 4 hits Garrick for 10 and also hits for another 8.

Minotaur 1 hits Knoepf for 13 which drops to 8 due to temporary hit points. Knoepf is marked.

Minotaur 2 hits Knoepf for 15. Knoepf is marked.

Gnoll 1 hits Garrick for 6.

Gnoll 2 takes 11 damage from Rain of Steel and shifts away. The Gnoll fires an arrow at Vex, but misses due to the table.

Vex 48/61, cover against Gnoll 2
Hobgoblin 1 (Hob 1), 20, marked by Vex
Hobgoblin 2 (Hob 2) 5
Hobgoblin 3 (Hob 3) 14
Hobgoblin 4 (Hob 4)
Minotaur 1 (Min 1). cursed
Minotaur 2 (Min 2), 65, cursed, bloodied, Aegis of Shielding, Oath of Enmity
Gnoll 1 (Gno 1), cover against everyone
Gnoll 2 (Gno 2), 15
Warforged (War)
Patrons
Acre 56/56, 3 temporary hit points
Malehan 62/62
Garrick 19/57, bloodied
Knoepf 25/50, bloodied, marked by Minotaur 2.

It's the PC's turns.
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Encounter 1d.jpg
    Encounter 1d.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Otakkun

Explorer
With a grim visage on his face, Garrick focuses on tending his wounds and defending himself as he desesperatedly tries to find a suitable strategy against these foes.

"You've made your point in this being a waste", Garrick tells the warforged as he defends himself. "And since we're all actually interested in taking down that sorcerer, don't you think we could forget about this? I see no point in fighting against ourselves, and I think we've bashed ourselves enough already for a little insult" he adds with a little hope on his voice. While he wasn't ready to admit defeat already, this fight had already turned into something far more serious than a simple bar fight, and he felt that his side was losing.

He then addresses the dwarven cleric, "There's one thing I just don't get now," he continues as he maneouvers around the minotaurs and the hobgoblin. "If he has warriors this good, why hasn't he dealt with that sorcerer already?"
[sblock=Actions]
Garrick will delay his action, acting only after Mal has acted.
Move Action: Shift 1 to H-6
Minor Action: Curse Hob 4
Standard Action: Second Wind - Using his Cloak of the Walking Wounded Garrick spends 2 surges and gains 28HP. Garrick gains a +2 to all defenses until the end of his next turn.
Free Action: Pray that a +4 to defenses (against those cursed, +2 to the rest) keeps him from being hit this round. ;)
Next Turn
Immediate Reaction: Aegis of shielding. [/sblock]

[sblock=Combat Stats]Garrick d'Orien, Human Warlock|Swordmage 6
Speaks in RoyalBlue
HP 47/57 Temp HP 0
Initiative +4
AC 23, Fort 19, Reflex 19, Will 17
AP 0, Surges 9/11
Diabolic Grasp [ ]
Channeling Shield [X]
Dimensional Vortex [X]
Fey Switch [ ]
Vestige of Baatar [ ]
Frost Backlash [ ]

Special
+2 bonus to all defenses until end of next turn.
+2 item bonus to all defenses against enemies under his warlock curse.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
"You've made your point in this being a waste"Garrick tells the warforged as he defends himself. "And since we're all actually interested in taking down that sorcerer, don't you think we could forget about this?

Thank you Master Garrick! Knoepf says in agreement as he glares at the warforged, growing tired of hearing the warforged preach as Knoepf continues to take a beating from the flanking minotaurs.

"There's one thing I just don't get now," he continues as he maneouvers around the minotaurs and the hobgoblin. "If he has warriors this good, why hasn't he dealt with that sorcerer already?"

That my friend is a good question. Judging by their actions I'm thinking that Merrick might be working with the guy. Of course, I might not be thinking clearly at the present moment. Even though he is in terrible pain Knoepf still manages to chuckle at his last remark.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]I'm too slow while in vacation. I would have used Divine Guidance on Garrick as he had missed on Minotaur2.[/SBLOCK]

Malehan kick the Hobgoblin near to him in the guts. The hobgoblin is knocked back a few feet before he can recover his balance. Alone against the Minautor again, he slash at the big creature, this time connecting. "Better." And without slowing his movement, he slash again at the Minotaur, giving him a second serious wounds before both teleport farther.

[SBLOCK=OOC]Standard: Push Hobgoblin2 to G8
No Respite vs. AC on Minotaur (1d20+15=30, 1d20+15=31), No Respite damage (4d4.minroll(3)+10=24) Hit AC 31 (add CA from bracket with Garrick) for 24 damages.

Action Point: Sequestring Strike vs. AC on Minotaur (1d20+15=28, 1d20+15=23), Sequestring Strike damage (4d4.minroll(3)+10=24) Hit AC 28 for 24 damage.

If hit and doesn't kill:
Minotaur2 is teleported to O13 and Malehan to N12.

If hit and kill
Move: Walk to K3
Minor: Oath of Enmity vs Minotaur 2
Immediat Reaction: If someone miss Minotaur2 with an encounter or daily, Divine Guidance, so he can roll a second attack roll for that attack.[/SBLOCK]

dimsdale

First Post
Knoepf watches in awe as Malehan goes to work on the to his right. Well done!...well done!

Responding to the warforged...

"I hope you survive to learn your lesson Mr. Dwarf. Arrogance and violence is never the way. Violence should only be used in self defense."

Your flaw in your statement is that you are confusing arrogance with impatience. As I've said before, we have little time to complete our mission. As for violence, it was you that started this whole mess when you stopped me as my group was about to leave. If you would have left us alone we'd be gone by now searching for others to help our cause!

He then turns to scan the battle field. Finding noone in any threat, other than himself and wiith the minotaur to his right out of the picture for now, Knoepf now focuses on the one to his left. Muttering a short prayer he attempts to penatrate the will of the giant beast, but cannot. Knoepf shakes his head angerly.

[sblock=actions]
minor: none
attack: encouter power bane: 1d20+10 vs will 17 miss
movement: shift to k8

[/sblock]

[sblock=statblock]

Knoepf: Dwarf Cleric 6

Advantageous Conditions:
Adverse Conditions: BLOODIED
Initiative: +1 Passive Insight: 22 Passive Perception: 17
Senses: Low Light Vision
Saving Throws: +5 vs poison
HP 50 25
Bloodied 25
Surge Value 12; Surges Per-Day 8 7 left
AC =20 Fortitude 15 Reflex 14 Will 21 Speed 5
Action Point: 1
Second Wind: USED
Powers
At will:
Astral Seal
Sacred Flame
Floating Lantern
Encounter:
Divine Fortune USED
Healer's Mercy
Healing Word 2 (1 USED)
Bane USED
Hymm of Resurgence:
Daily Standard:
Life Transference
Beacon of Hope USED
Symbol of Perservence
Halo of Consequence
[/sblock]

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
Vex continue to swing her greatsword in wide, sweeping arcs- to a casual observer it might have looked like a wild flailing about, but her blows seemed to be landing with more accuracy than random chance.

[sblock= OOC]
>Standard= Attack Hob 1 with Cleave; +13 vs. AC= 24 (if that hits, deals 13 damage to Hob 1, and 4 secondary damage to Hob 3; hit or miss Hob 1 is marked again with Combat Challenge); roll Roll Lookup

>Move: none
>Minor: none
>Special: Rain of Steel- if Hob 1 and Hob 3 start turn adjacent to Vex, they take (14 damage Hob 1) and (14 damage Hob 3); rolls included in link above- max damage on both rolls
[/sblock]

[sblock= Vex]
HP 48 at start of turn
>Active conditions: Rain of Steel (any enemy who starts turn adjacent to Vex takes 1d10+4 damage); Resist 1 all (armor, constant); Badge of the berserker (movement during charge does not provoke AoO)

Revekka Amalthea d’Deneith- Human hybrid Barbarian/Fighter 6
Initiative: +6, Passive Perception 19, Passive Insight 14
AC: 23 /FORT: 21/REF: 16/WILL: 16; Resist 1 (all); Speed 5
HP: 61/61, Bloodied 30, Surge value: 15; Surges left 9/11
+5 to saving throws vs. Fear effects
Action points 0 of 1 left; Second Wind: not used
Swordbond (1 mile), Badge of the berserker

Powers:
Howling Strike
Howl of fury
Cleave
Vault the fallen (used)