• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Adventure) Pest removal at unusual height and depth

Knight Otu

First Post
(For sake of updating, I'm assuming the group does send Jack and Shadowlyn ahead.)

The two halflings scout ahead, and after some time they peek into a big hall, tall enough for a human to stand normally (I'll drop some charges from that reduce person wand at the end). It's propably 70 to 80 feet long on each side, and at the far end, you can see another tunnel leaving to the north-east. A large portion of the room is taken up by a column of red light. It is certainly the curtain of light from the temple, and thus you seem to have found the area to cleanse. The construction workers will break through in this place after you sealed it.
The column is a bit south of the center of the room, and partially vanishes into the south-east wall. Around the light, a number of skeletal rats stand, sometimes making a move towards the light, but then quickly jolt back. Three of the fungus creatures also stand around the light, one of them clearly the "winged" creature Lothé described. It and another one of the fungus creatures seem a bit darker in color then the fungi you encountered earlier.
As you watch, the winged fungus shoves one of the skeletal rats into the light. The skeleton quickly jumps back, though it seems unharmed. The light seems to have dimmed a bit in the process.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Shadowlyn motions with hand signals to Jack that they should go back and warn the others. She motions that she will stay, to keep an eye on things while he lets the others know what is happening.

She readies her morningstar this time, hoping not to have to use it...

Hide +11

Pbartender

First Post
Bow still at hand, Jack nods back away to inform the others of the situation.

Hide +15, Move Silently +13

"There's a large room ahead with a big, red, glowing... pillar whatsit. There's a bunch of those skeleton rats, and some fungus lumps. One of the fungus buggers had wings..."

Jack goes on to describe, in detail, the scenery and the actions of the winged fungus. "Any idea what's going on, Reilin?"

Other Guy

First Post
Loskrad, having listened to Jack's description, just shakes his head and says to himself "this is all so wierd." He laughs softly and waits to see if anyone else has any idea what's going on.

Knight Otu

First Post
(Mintrik - Knowledge Religion check 6 + 4 = 10 - you get the basic inkling that this has to do with the undead rats being powered by negative energy)

Reilin listens with interest, and occasionally frowns. (Knowledge Religion check 17 + 5 = 22)

"That is...strange, but I think I know what the creature is trying to do - the column of light is created by the priests of the temple, slightly suffused with positive energy, the power of life. It discomforts the skeletons, who are powered by negative energy. The negative energy powering the undead, though, might eventually be able to eventually disrupt the spell that should hallow this site to the Lightbringer. It won't be a fast process, but I guess it will happen."

Jack:[sblock]The skeletal rats you escaped earlier are still in the other tunnel as far as you can hear, but they move slowly towards this tuneel[/sblock]

silentspace

First Post
Mintrik nods at Reilin. "So.. if stopped the winged fungus, maybe that will put an end to the negative energy? That's my feeling on it. Any other suggestions?"

Pbartender

First Post
Jack interrupts, "Company's coming."

For a moment, he furrows his brow in concentration. "Sounds like some skeletons are slowly headed this way. I'll be right back."

Jack slips into the shadows, and heads back up the tunnel to warn Shadowlyn.

OOC: Guh. The one time a spell like Hide From Undead would be handy... Of course, who would ever actually prepare a spell like that? :heh: Oh well.

Pbartender

First Post
Back at the entrance to the hall, Jack quietly apprises Shadowlyn of the situation. He hunkers down amongst the shadows and readies his bow to ambush the winged fungus.

Knight Otu said:
(So, are you all moving onwards, or do you want to take action against the approaching skeletons - or somehow block their path?)

OOC: Well, Jack's headed back up toward Shadowlyn, regardless of what the others do. As a halfing rogue weilding non-bludgeoning weapons, his first instinct is to avoid the skeletons. Unless someone tells him otherwise, he's getting ready to attempt a sneak attack against the winged fungus, once the word is given.

Remove ads