• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: Redblade's Riches!! (Ozymandias79 judging!)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
[sblock=The MMC]The original MMC (of which Girth, Quag, and Hrav remain) were hired by Azrael in the previous adventure where the Captian had them do a lot of dangerous stuff for little reward while tracking down the cargo Redblade stole. This did not enamor the MMC to the Captain; they have repeatedly considered taking his ship from him at various times.

Beryk is an old friend of Quags and is a merc on this trip.

Kauldron just "appeared" IIRC.

Dang't, however, has no ties with the MMC before this adventure. He was a stowaway before the first addy and become the Captain's good luck charm. He was imprisoned shortly before the first addy and released just before the second (just in time to join). So, Dang't is a member of the Bloody Wake crew (though more friendly with the rest of the crew than the captain himself). But he likes the MMC.

Clear? :)[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=those pesky alignment issues]
But. . . Quagmire is good? :p

Quagmire's alignment is possibly a little confused, reflecting 1) his confusion, 2) my own confusion, and 3) the usual complaints about alignment being overly broad and not flexible enough and so forth.

Here's vaguely how the conversation has gone in my mind, on the several occasions I've thought about it; blurred, no doubt, by time and forgetfulness. Quagmire's been around for a while, now.

Quagmire has some pretty strong feelings about how the world should work. People should try treat each other fairly. They should generally be honest and mean what they say. They should keep their word. They should respect each other, unless given cause to feel otherwise. People should be loyal to their friends, and merciful to their enemies when it seems reasonable. If you get yourself in trouble, you shouldn't pull other people down with you. On the other hand, if your friends get themselves in trouble, you should try to help them out. This is all tempered by a healthy dose of common sense and practicality.

I figure this probably came out of Quagmire's childhood in Madame Ketratek's brothel in Bacarte, from his mother, and probably indirectly from the madame herself. It's a vicious, cruel world out there, and the good guys (that's us) have to stick together and treat each other right, or we'll all go down together. Bacarte is a pretty rough place, and a young hob needs all the friends he can get in a place like that.

It's not a well-developed or completely logically consistent morality, but these opinions are real and deeply held, and Quagmire is willing to put his safety on the line to back them up. That's the main reason for "good" as opposed to "unaligned".

As for how he got to this place... He originally took the job because he needed money, and it seemed like a reasonably good cause; or at least not an evil one. As a sailor, Quagmire has a mental habit of respecting ship's captains (though not necessarily *treating* them with respect; that's not really the Bacarte style). And after all, Azrael did get kind of screwed.

As things went on, Quagmire has found himself torn between a number of motivations. On the one hand, he has come to despise Azrael for being dishonest, manipulative, cowardly, irresponsible, and generally unfit to command a ship. On the other hand, Redblade is a dirty no good cheater, and deserves what's coming to him. Also, Quagmire's party members have so far wanted to go along with Azrael, and Quagmire feels obligated to help and support them. On the other other hand, Quagmire is starting to feel a bit sorry for Redblade's guards, who are just trying to do their jobs. Not sorry enough to endanger his friends to spare them, but enough to feel guilty about it. He's currently channeling that guilt into anger at Azrael and Redblade, but it's making him uncomfortable nonetheless. On the other other other hand, he agreed to this job, and isn't willing (yet) to break his word and back out of it.

At this point, Quagmire wants to finish the job, protect his friends, fulfill his obligations, and have nothing further to do with Azrael. He could pretty easily be persuaded to turn on Azrael, particularly if it turns out that there are any more deceptions in store from him, or if Redblade turns out to not quite be such a jerk. (For example, if he caught Azrael cheating at the card game first.)

Is that good? Unaligned? Heck, I don't know. I picked good because it helps remind me that Quagmire has morals, after a fashion, and actively tries to live by them.

[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Peering down the newly discovered staircase you see nothing but darkness. You can tell from the top landing that it's going to be a tight squeeze for some. Hopefully things open up a bit more below.

--------------------------------------

OOC: The stairs going down from RedBlade's Room are about four feet wide, walls on each side. For our purposes its still a full square, no penalties except its one at a time. I need a marching order.

If you don't have darkvision and like seeing, we'll need a light source.

You can go ahead and roll init.

--------------------------------

Some quick changes to the way Phoenix did things.

1. I will roll for you after 48 hours (Usually with a little extra time over the weekend). If I'm autoing you I use only at-wills.

2. I will roll init, instead of waiting if there's no lead up discussion/rp. I will roll one init for the bad guys. If you tie for initiative with the enemy, you will go first.

3. Since there's only one init for the bad guys, you do not need to wait for you're turn in initiative to post your actions.

Effects happen in the order you post. Any effects lasting for an entire round, that should effect you, do, but only once per round the effect exists, despite you're posting order.

4. I will not post full stats for enemies. All status effects will be posted. Auras will be posted once they first take noticeable affect. HP will be posted once bloody. Defenses will be revealed individually once hit. Some familiar monsters are modified.

covaithe

Explorer
Quagmire peers owlishly into the gloom. His eyes work better than a human's would in the darkness, but... "Hrav, I think this is your gig, mate. Knock 'em dead. We'll be right behind ye." He steps back to let the burly bugbear lead the way.

[sblock=random ooc stuff]Quagmire has low-light vision.

Did we get an extended rest? I think that was the plan, yes? Likewise, are we considered leveled up now?

Here's a semi-periodic reminder of Quagmire's warlord-y goodies:
  • You get +2 initiative if you're within 10 of Quagmire and can see and hear him (already figured in Quagmire's init)
  • if you spend an AP in sight of Quagmire, you regain 8 hp. So it might be good to hang on to those until you get a little dinged up. Use your judgement.
[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
You feel rejuvenated by the presence of the room. RedBlade must have some really nice potpourri (if only you could find it).

[sblock=ooc]Everyone got/gets an instantaneous extended rest and is considered leveled up if you earned enough xp to do so.[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
[sblock=Wiki Errors]Girth and Kauldron's Summaries and Charts should be standard now. There was a couple of typos and little things.

Primarily the issues were spaces between lines of code where you didn't want a space and the new wiki doesn't like when | is next to either + or -. It thinks you're trying to tell it to do something. So if you're entering a number that starts with - or + into a table just make sure there's a space between it and the |.[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads