[Adventure]: The Missing Professor (DM: H.M.Gimlord, Looking for a Judge)

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: ...which makes him dead at the start of his turn to ongoing and Rain of Steel by my count.
GM: Sorry about the delay. @Iron Sky . I'm doing the math, and I want to make sure that I get it right before I post.

Bodyguard 2 started at 156hp
156 - 7(zone) = 149
149 - 18(Haruka's attack) = 131
131 - 48(Seraph's attack) = 83
83 - 27(Draglin's attack. Vulnerability occurs after attack, so no extra damage) = 56
56 - 10(Cold) = 46
46 - 5(vulnerable) = 41

At beginning of next turn
14 RoS Damage
5 Ros Cold Damage
5 ongoing Cold Damage
5 Vulnerable damage

Leaving Bodyguard 2 at 12hp

Last edited:

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
OOC: I believe that Rain of Steel would also benefit from cold vuln. Also, I didn't use Hellfire and Brimstone, because Astrix pushed me out of position; I cursed BG2 instead. It came out to the same damage on BG2, but no one else got hurt.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Bodyguard 2 started at 156hp

156 - 7(zone) = 149
149 - 18(Haruka's attack) = 131
131 - 27(Draglin's attack. Vulnerability occurs after attack, so no extra damage) = 104
104 - 10(Cold) = 94
94 - 5(vulnerable) = 89
89 - 48(Seraph's attack) = 41

at beginning of next turn
14 RoS Damage
5 ongoing Cold Damage
5 Vulnerable damage

This leaves Bodyguard 2 at 17hp.

Am I missing something?

OOC: TwoHeadsBarking added 7 damage a few posts back.
Rain of Steel should do 5 more damage due to vulnerability.

Leaves BG2 at 5hp. I must have counted vulnerability an extra time or something... he's still alive I think.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: Thanks for the run-down.

The 17 includes the 7 damage from the zone (if that's what you mean).

As for the extra 5 cold, I didn't look at Luinnar's roll. I just assumed that the 14 damage included the vulnerability. Looking at it, it appears that I was mistaken.

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: @dimsdale: More aptly, is there a record for the number of times a PC has been K.O.'d in one encounter?
The apothecary finally crashes the ground, sending flames and smoke into the air. The conflagration sends the remaining townspeople scurrying for the safety of their homes, leaving the street disturbingly quiet.

Max's words of defiance break the silence briefly before being cut short by yet another quarrel as the rooftop archers let fly. Haruka, too, is struck badly, swooning with pain, and the noise of battle resumes.

"Why won't you just die." The bodyguard to Vythdar's left manages to trip gloom as he recovers sending the paladin sprawling to the ground behind the bodyguard, whose sword comes down on Glooms back, and the shifter blacks out.

The other bodyguard, badly bloodied by Draglin's blows finds an advantage, pounding the dragonborn on the back with the flat of his blade, pushing so as to transpose positions.

Draglin, finding himself surrounded, manages to get a lucky strike in on Vythdar Astrix, but the gray brute avenges the move boldly, cutting into Draglin and flinging him, head-over-heals, down the street, sprawling on the ground, feeling as if an oxcart just rolled over top of him.

[sblock=Enemy Actions]
Archer 1:
Standard: Bullseye Bolt
Target: Max
Attack: 1d20+21-2(Range)-2(Prone)=29 vs. AC for 1d8+18=25 damage
Bullseye Bolt does not recharge on Archer's next turn (1d6=2)

Archer 2:
Standard: Bullseye Bolt
Target: Haruka
Attack: 1d20+21-2(Range)=38 vs. AC +2 for 1d8+18-10(DR)=12 damageand Haruka is dazed.
Bullseye Bolt recharges on Archer's next turn (1d6=6)

Bodyguard 2:
Free: Takes 33 damage (RoS, Cold Vulnerability, and Fire)
Standard: Stick & Shift
Target: Draglin
Attack: 1d20+23-2(Zone)= 26 vs. AC Miss (The roll says Bodyguard 2. I got them switched in my head)
Granted Shift: to O7
Granted Slide: Slide Draglin to P6

Bodyguard 1:
Standard: Stick & Shift
Target: Gloom
Attack: 1d20+23-2(Zone)=32vs. AC for 2d10+13-2=23 damage
Granted Shift: to S3
Granted Slide: Slide Gloom to R4

Vythdar Astrix:
Free: take 17 Cold damage from Rain of Steel

Move: to M2 around OA

Standard: Double Attack
Target1: Draglin
Attack 1: 1d20+23-2(zone)+2(flanking)=42 vs. AC +1(Adjacent to Serras) for 3d8+12=25 damage
Granted Push: Waived
Target 2: Draglin
Attack 2: 1d20+23-2(zone)+2(flanking)=37 vs. AC +1(Adjacent to Serras) for 3d8+12=23 damage
Granted Push: to Q10 and Draglin is knocked prone

[/sblock][sblock=Status]Gloom: R4 -3/81HP 10/11HS 1AP, Unconscious, Prone, Marked by Bodyguard 2
Haruka: M3 41/82HP 8/8HP 0AP, Bloodied,+2 to Defenses, (Concealed), Dazed (Save Ends)
Max: Q4 -4/85HP 4/9HS 0AP, Unconscious, Prone, Marked by Bodyguard 2
Draglin: Q10 34/93HP 10/10HS 1AP, Bloodied, Marked by Bodyguard 1, Prone
Seraphine: N5 86/97HP 13/13HS 1AP, +2 Defenses, +2 Saves TENT, Enemies have -2 to attack Seraphine TENT Seraphine

Virgil: P8 46/46HP
Serras: O6 48/48HP, Marked by Bodyguard 1

Blademaster 2: N6 -18/256HP Dead
Blademaster 3: M7 -2/256HP Dead
Archer 1: M23 108/108HP
Archer 2: X20 108/108HP
Bodyguard 1: S3 126/156HP, -2 to attack and damage
BodyGuard 2: O7 12/156HP, Bloodied, Grants +2 to attacks and damage TENT Haruka, Vulnerable 5 Cold TENT Draglin
Vythdar Astrix: Q5 280/346HP 0AP Lawbreaker's Doom, Cursed by Haruka
[/sblock][sblock=Map]
ApothecaryRound9-3.png
[/sblock][sblock=Bodyguard]

Bodyguard.png

[/sblock][sblock=Archer]

Archer.png

[/sblock][sblock=Vythdar Astrix]

VythdarAstrixH.png
[/sblock][sblock=Synopsis of story to this point (A.K.A.: A cure for insomnia)]

You are currently located just outside of a cliffside port city named Rioc Alair. The cellar in which they are now belongs to a harbor-side tavern and inn called The Crystal Mug.

Your original party was employed by a gentleman named Jahred who is the leader of the primary constabulary group of Rioc Alair called The Night Watch, to determine the whereabouts of "Professor Aramista" who has gone missing now for several weeks.

Your group have inspected the professors office and found the following documents and curiosities (see clues below) In their investigation, the group has also discovered that a previous group of adventurers were instrumental in ratting out a den of thieves being given sanctuary in this cellar hideout. The proprietor of this establishment at the time, a man named Blagarm Barblacken, was arrested and exiled, while all but one of the tieves were hunted down and executed (most of them as a result of the skirmish the aftermath of which you see here).

The band of thieves was evidently led by a well-to-do member of society named Lars Hallmaster who left town with the city's Master Armorer, a dwarf named Hankel Mast, some time before the hideout was exposed.

The preivous group of adventurers that dispatched the thieves continued to pursue Lord Hallmaster in hopes of rescuing Hankel, believing him to be a lost heir to some kind of fortune.

Upon learning of the hideout from Jahred, your party expressed a desire to investigate, and were given a document signed by the Governor of Rioc Alair, Lord Ekton, giving you privilege to use whatever means necessary to complete your mission.

While talking with Jahred, they also met a man named Vythdar Astrix, a representative of the people of Rioc Alair to Lord Ekton's court. He, too, expressed an interest in seeing the professor found, and returned to Rioc Alair.

Upon arriving at The Crystal Mug, the group was set upon by a band of rough thugs. As the battle wound down, the last of the thugs made a dash for the cellar, in which Dante was killed in a trap, most likely a remnant of the thieves' devices. The poor thug, however executed poor judgement in his escape attempt, by attempting to flee through a locked cellar door. Cornered by Gloom and Draglin, the fellow fell hard.

Upon the thug's chest (as well as others as some of you remember), is an ensignia of polished, gray leather in the shape of a dragon.

Aaron, evidently a junior member of the original gang of thieves who resided under the Crystal mug, shows up having returned from a quest to drum up help in the form of Seraphine and Haruka.

When he returns, he is surprised to find his comrades dead, and his mentor and leader (Lars Hallmaster) missing.

He relates the following information:

• The thugs that Max, Mab, Dante, Draglin, and Gloom were fighting belonged to a ring of organized crime being led by Vythdar Astrix. He points out that the gray, leather dragon insignia represents Vythdar's mob.
  • Lars Hallmaster is obsessed with finding the origins of a magic knife that channels the power of lightning and storms.
  • Professor Aramista encouraged (and perhaps even directed) Lars' research into the knife's origin so much that he sent Lars to a far-off land, called Erkemhest, to study the history of their continent.
  • Lars suspected Rioc Alair's Master Armorer, Hankel, of having information in this regard.
  • Hankel's father, Bard, was killed in a burglary carried out by the former leader of the thieves (a man named Bradon) in order to find more information about the magic weapon. Bradon panicked when he was discovered, and slew Bard. Hankel then slew Bradon.
Clues from the professor's office: [sblock=Documents left spread out on the professor's bed][sblock=A letter]
Schematics-2.png
[/sblock]This is a map that you recognized as the same map that Jahred showed you back at the Hanged Man in Daunton.[sblock=Map]
AvenrocandErkemhestcopy-2.png
[/sblock]The letter appears to be a draft that was not completed. It is not clear if a completed copy was sent or if Professor Aramista left before he had the chance.[/sblock][sblock=Items on the desk]Several codices are open to pages depicting machinery for smelting metals:
ForgeSchematics2-1.png
ForgeSchematics1-1.png
One document lies next to these codices written in a strange script
History-1.png
[sblock=History DC 25]It is a form of dwarven script. If you can read dwarven you can ask the DM for a translation.[/sblock][/sblock][sblock= Documents found on the professor's reading table]Three maps:[sblock=Map 1]
ThemouthoftheFluss.png
[/sblock][sblock=Map 2]
Aleinheist-1.png
[/sblock][sblock=Map 3]
TheDeadSwampUntranslated.png
[/sblock][/sblock]*NEW*[sblock=Letters found by Haruka in the thieves' den under The Crystal Mug][sblock=Letter 1]
DiscussionontheKnife3-1.png
[/sblock][sblock=Letter 2]
DiscussionontheKnife-2.png
[/sblock][sblock=Letter 3]
DiscussionontheKnife2-2.png
[/sblock][sblock=Letter 4]
DiscussionontheBox-1.png

DiscussionontheBox2-1.png
[/sblock][sblock=Seraphine]The inscription on the bottom of the box is written in Draconic. It reads, "ihk sia deevdru Hankel", which, when translated, reads, "For my son, Hankel"[/sblock][sblock=Letter 5][/sblock][/sblock]

It appears that Vythdar Astrix is running some kind of protection racket. While attempting to purchase magic items from a smuggler, the party is attacked by Vythdar and his powerful henchmen. The apothecary, serving as a front for the illicit magic item shop, burns to the ground, taking the life of its proprietor, but not until after the group stocks up.[/sblock]

Last edited:

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
OOC:
Gloom ... takes 7 additional points of damage on his turn if the zone is still there.

This is not the case, for a couple reasons. First, Hellfire & Brimstone's zone only deals damage once, when it is created. Second, I guess I was unclear, but I did not use Hellfire and Brimstone, because Astrix pushed me out of position. Instead I cursed Bodyguard 2.

While I would love it to be otherwise, the DR 10 I get from spending an action point only lasts one turn, so I should take full damage from the archer. But 63-22=41, so even with that I have more hp than you have listed (also, I already spent my AP).

Waiting to see if Draglin kills Bodyguard 2 with shift punishment before taking my turn.

Luinnar

First Post
OOC: [MENTION=79440]H.M.Gimlord[/MENTION] if Draglin charges Astrix does he trigger his evil teleporting power?

I may hit Astrix instead with my bloodied reaction from the backlash tattoo if not and charge the bodyguard.

[sblock=Draglin's Stat Block]
Draglin, Dragonborn Fighter/Shock Trooper 12
Passive Perception 21, Passive Insight 16
AC 28 Fortitude 25 Reflex 24 Will 17
HP 82/96 Bloodied 46 Surge Value 24, Surges 10/10
Speed 6, Initiative +11
Action Points: 0
9 fire resistance (wile hold Frost Brand Double Sword +3)

Basic Attack Short Sword; +21(+3 with CA), 1d8+19(+2 w/ CA) creature is marked hit or miss, if used because of an OA from movement the creature stops moving (but may take another action to move again).

Damage Summary:+6 from STR, +2 power bonus from Virgil's aura, +2 item bonus from iron armbands, +3 feat bonus with a cold weapon from Silvery Glow feat, +2 with CA from Light Blade Expertise (enemies in Virgil's aura grant CA to Draglin), +3 from weapon enhancement, +2 from gloves of cold, +1 with Two Weapon Fighting, +2 from tempest technique=23 and +5 when they have vulnerability to cold because of lasting frost.

Combat Challenge: At Will Immediate Interrupt Melee
Trigger: When a marked enemy shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include Sir Draglin.
Effect: Sir Draglin makes a melee basic attack against that enemy

Footwork Lure
Dual Strike

Combat Challenge
Summon Virgil

Come and Get It
Off-hand Strike
Grit and Spittle
Rain of Blows

Shocking Twister
Kirre's Roar
Dragon Breath
Feral Hide Armor +2
Amulet of Life +1

Hunter's Quarry
Second Wind
Backlash Tatoo

Villian's Menance
Rain of Steel
Bedeviling Assault
Quick Short Sword +2

Mighty Surge
Assault Footwork

Effect: Rain of Steel
[/sblock]
[sblock=Virgil the Lizard Fey Beast Companion (Young Owlbear)]
Virgil Player Luinnar Lizard (Owlbear) Fey Beast Companion (Unaligned) Level 12 (XP As Draglin) Initiative As DraglinPassive Insight 16 Passive Perception 23; Senses Darkvision
HP
46 Bloodied 24 Surge Value N/A; Surges Per-Day Draglin
AC
25 Fortitude 27 Reflex 23 Will 27
Speed
6 Size Medium
Str 20 (+5) Dex 12 (+1) Wis 14 (+2) Con 17 (+3) Int 2 (-4) Cha 6 (-2)
Racial Abilities
Aura 1:Allies gain +2 power bonus to damage rolls against enemies in aura. Enemies in aura grants CA to Draglin.
Basic Attack +17, 1d12+6
Languages Owlbear
[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC:

This is not the case, for a couple reasons. First, Hellfire & Brimstone's zone only deals damage once, when it is created. Second, I guess I was unclear, but I did not use Hellfire and Brimstone, because Astrix pushed me out of position. Instead I cursed Bodyguard 2.

While I would love it to be otherwise, the DR 10 I get from spending an action point only lasts one turn, so I should take full damage from the archer. But 63-22=4182-26=54-5=51-22=29, so even with that I have more hp than you have listed(also, I already spent my AP).

Waiting to see if Draglin kills Bodyguard 2 with shift punishment before taking my turn.
GM: Thanks for catching the HF&B. You mentioned it like 3 times and I still overlooked it. I'm under a lot of stress on the home front if you haven't noticed already. I'm going to make several mistakes, I'm afraid. I'll set this right.

Take a look at my history of the damage: The crit round-before-last caused 36-10=26 damage, and the the 15-10=5 ongoing damage brought Haruka down to 51. Without the DR the attack actually drops her down to 29.

The 31 was a grievous mathematical error on my part. I forgot to count the DR in that crit and somehow subtracted 82-36 and got 48 instad of 46. From there it was 43(OG15-10) and then 31(crossbow 22-10) on account of forgetting the duration of the DR.
OOC: @H.M.Gimlord if Draglin charges Astrix does he trigger his evil teleporting power?

I may hit Astrix instead with my bloodied reaction from the backlash tattoo if not and charge the bodyguard.
GM: Yes. Charging would trigger the burst attack. Forced movement, howver, does not (at least that's how I understand it).

Last edited:

Luinnar

First Post
OOC: I'll try to get Astrix with Come and Get it next turn, hopefully he won't be able to escape then.

The bodyguard tries to move aside but Draglin brings him down before he can get away. The dragonborn next charges the last bodyguard, cleaving him with his blade.

Your next! he calls to Astrix.

[sblock=actions]
When bodyguard shifts:Combat Challenge 36 vs AC 27+5 cold damage it is dead.

Move:Stand up.
Virgil:T4

Minor:Mighty Surge
Free:Amulet of Life +1

Effect:Draglin spends 2 healing surges and gains a +2 power bonus to defenses and +1 power bonus to attack rolls EONT. Until the end of the encounter each time Draglin spends a surge he gains a +2 power bonus to defenses and +1 power bonus to attack rolls EONT.

Standard:Charge Bodyguard 1 to S4. 40 vs AC 25 cold damage, marked EONT, 5 cold vulnerability EONT.

Bodyguard takes 24 cold damage from rain of steel start of its turn.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Draglin's Stat Block]
Draglin, Dragonborn Fighter/Shock Trooper 12
Passive Perception 21, Passive Insight 16
AC 28+2 Fortitude 25+2 Reflex 24+2 Will 17+2
HP 82/96 Bloodied 46 Surge Value 24, Surges 8/10
Speed 6, Initiative +11
Action Points: 0
9 fire resistance (wile hold Frost Brand Double Sword +3)

Basic Attack Short Sword; +21(+3 with CA), 1d8+19(+2 w/ CA) creature is marked hit or miss, if used because of an OA from movement the creature stops moving (but may take another action to move again).

Damage Summary:+6 from STR, +2 power bonus from Virgil's aura, +2 item bonus from iron armbands, +3 feat bonus with a cold weapon from Silvery Glow feat, +2 with CA from Light Blade Expertise (enemies in Virgil's aura grant CA to Draglin), +3 from weapon enhancement, +2 from gloves of cold, +1 with Two Weapon Fighting, +2 from tempest technique=23 and +5 when they have vulnerability to cold because of lasting frost.

Combat Challenge: At Will Immediate Interrupt Melee
Trigger: When a marked enemy shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include Sir Draglin.
Effect: Sir Draglin makes a melee basic attack against that enemy

Footwork Lure
Dual Strike

Combat Challenge
Summon Virgil

Come and Get It
Off-hand Strike
Grit and Spittle
Rain of Blows

Shocking Twister
Kirre's Roar
Dragon Breath
Feral Hide Armor +2
Amulet of Life +1

Hunter's Quarry
Second Wind
Backlash Tatoo

Villian's Menance
Rain of Steel
Bedeviling Assault
Quick Short Sword +2

Mighty Surge
Assault Footwork

Effect: Rain of Steel
[/sblock]
[sblock=Virgil the Lizard Fey Beast Companion (Young Owlbear)]
Virgil Player Luinnar Lizard (Owlbear) Fey Beast Companion (Unaligned) Level 12 (XP As Draglin) Initiative As DraglinPassive Insight 16 Passive Perception 23; Senses Darkvision
HP
46 Bloodied 24 Surge Value N/A; Surges Per-Day Draglin
AC
25 Fortitude 27 Reflex 23 Will 27
Speed
6 Size Medium
Str 20 (+5) Dex 12 (+1) Wis 14 (+2) Con 17 (+3) Int 2 (-4) Cha 6 (-2)
Racial Abilities
Aura 1:Allies gain +2 power bonus to damage rolls against enemies in aura. Enemies in aura grants CA to Draglin.
Basic Attack +17, 1d12+6
Languages Owlbear
[/sblock]

Remove ads