[Adventure]: The Missing Professor (DM: H.M.Gimlord, Looking for a Judge)

Velmont

First Post
Gloom is overwhelm by the his opponent and by the mental assault that he miss his target but have enough focus to recover from the psychic assault.

[SBLOCK=OOC]Start:5 Ongoing Damage => 53/81
Note there is no Regen this round as Gloom is no longer considered Bloodied.
Standard: Holy Strike vs AC on Drowned One 0-4 (1d20+16=19)
End: Save (1d20=17)
[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Gloom's Stats]Gloom
Longtooth Shifter Paladin 10
Initiative +5
Passive Insight 27; Passive Perception 22; Senses Low-Light
HP 53/81; THP 0; Bloodied 40; Surge Value 20; Surges Per-Day 11
AC 26; Fortitude 23; Reflex 18; Will 23
Speed 5
Action Points: 1

Current Effects: None

Basic Attack: Blood Fury Fullblade +16 vs AC 1d12+10 damage

[ ]Ardent Strike
[ ]Holy Strike
[ ]Divine Challenge
[ ]Iron Wolf Warrior

[X]Longtooth Shifting
[ ]Iron Wolf Charge
[ ]Channel Divinity (Divine Mettle or Divine Strength)
[ ]Heedless Fury
[ ]Fortune Spurred Smite
[ ]Crescent Moon
[ ]Benediction

[5]Ardent Vow
[ ]Blood of the Mighty
[ ]Frenzying Smite
[ ]Death Angel
[ ]Aspect of Ferocity

[X]Blood Fury Fullblade [E]
[ ]Lauto's Shroud (The Raven Queen's Shroud) [E]
[ ]Verve Layered Plate Armor [D]
[ ]Frost Gauntlet [D]
[ ]Lauto's Shroud (The Raven Queen's Shroud) [D]
[ ]Belt of Lauto Righteousness (Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness) [D][/SBLOCK][/QUOTE]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: @Iron Sky : I think that Luinnar managed to Ninja you. I'll let you pick more suitable targets.

BTW: S,-1 and Q,-3 are Deckhand allies.

*EDIT* Now that I look at it, could apply the twin-strike to S,1 (instead of S,-1) and so save your Ruffling Sting power.

R,0 was killed by deckhand S,-1 at Draglin's command, so you could redirect to P,-1 (the one Draglin missed). That OK with you?

*EDIT* Yay! I got my black background back. Now I have to change up all my text colors again so they show up.[/OOC]

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
OOC: I'll take out all the ones that are up that I can reach: S1, Q0, P-2. If there's less than 3 enemies still up within 2, I'll just change my last attack to something else.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: I hope I didn't get on your nerves poking fun like that. I know the battlemap is extremely confusing at this point.

I guess I was motivated to humor because my wife was reading Don Quixote to my kids at the time I was reading through the posts. Between Cervantes and the misread coordinates, a hilarious picture entered my head. Feel free to retcon your post according to the changes you just made.

Apologies. I deleted the farcical narration as it will not make sense once you retcon.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Again, the valiant maritime defenders throw back a wave of assulting abominations, and again, more scramble up the hull to take their place. Gloom and Draglin begin to feel the burden of battle weighing heavily upon them. Their wounds are deep, and they begin to wonder if they can survive another wave.

One deckhand, upon seeing Draglin's condition loses concentration, and is cut down by one of the fell beings.

At this moment, the party notices, just as Max pointed out, that a gentle breeze seems to grow in strength each time someone (among the living) dies.

Jahred blanches at the loss of yet another comrade. These were not hired deckhands. These were countrymen and fellow citizen protectors of Rioc Alair, with whom he had served for several years.

Virgil becomes the target of two drowned zombies, who are vengefully cut down by Dante soon after they strike.

Though the attacks are relentless, the numbers in the small skiffs below are growing thinner, and by the lamplight at their bows, it seems as though another attack to equal the last three cannot be sustained.

Jahred, however looks out over the water, his face bearing an expression that dispels any hope that the battle may soon be over.

Beyond the fourth skiff, about sixty feet or so starboard, the fog begins to roil like the surface of boiling milk about the lantern hanging from the fifth vessel. One by one, other lanterns flicker adjacent to it. A sound, till now lost in the battle's din, of crashing water heralds the arrival of something ominous, and much larger than was first thought.

The swirling tendrils of fog suddenly and violently part, like trees being knocked aside by an avalanche, as they are pierced by the prow of a massive frigate. The monstrous vessel looks like something out of a nightmare, rising some thirty feet out of the water. Its sails are torn to shreds, yet they are somehow able to harness an arcane wind that blows with greater force than the natural breezes that can be felt by the living. Its hull is worm-eaten and barely (if at all) seaworthy.

More lanterns flicker on along its rails and outside port windows in its lower decks, revealing hundreds of undead figures swarming over the ship and each other. The decks are so crowded with the things that one would have a hard time believing the ship could still float with that many aboard. Arms, legs, heads, hands, and feet protrude form every orifice in the hull, and the sound that up to now was believed to be crashing water is actually that of a thousand undead voices cheering and jeering.[sblock=History or Dungeoneering DC 20]The undead are speaking Deep Speech.[/sblock]The ship turns broadside toward The Beacon revealing a row of twelve open gun ports, prepared to fire, but not yet about far enough to target The Beacon.

The Beacon, however, finds itself perfectly broadside of the new arrival, and though The Beacon is no match for an adversary of this size, Jahred did take the time to have her guns primed, "Albarent! Fire!"

Port windows on the the starboard side of The Beacon fly open like a trap as if ejected by the fiery conflagration that follows. Six holes pepper the ghost ship's gun deck, which consequently explodes in a brilliant percussion of light and heat.

Evidently Albarent had been below preparing the guns, and by some stroke of genius or luck, managed to train them at just the right elevation.[sblock=Perception (roll or take 10) DC 15]You notice that one of the deckhands emerges from the hold and proceeds to climb the rigging of the foremast to the foresail boom. There, he begins to work the bindings that hold the sails furled.[sblock=Perception DC 18 Same roll]You notice that the gun volley knocked out six of the frigate's twelve guns.[sblock=Perception 20 (same roll or take 10)] You notice that, with the gun volley, The Beacon has ungrounded herself and is floating freely, though not moving.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Auntie Mab's Actions]Auntie Mab:
Standard: Gloaming Cut
Target: P,-7
Attack: 1d20+16+2=27 vs. AC for 1d4+2+2d8=9 damage and shift down the ladder to S,-1 and become hidden[/sblock][sblock=Enemy Actions]
DO N,-10:
Move: to P,-4
Standard: Spirit Touch
Target: Gloom
Attack: 1d20+16=26 vs. AC for 7 necrotic damage

DO M,-5:
Move: Shift to M,-4
Target: Max
Attack: 1d20+16+2(Flanking)=20 vs. AC Miss

DO N,-7:
Move: to N,-5
Attack: 1d20+16=33 vs. AC for 7 necrotic damage

DO M,-3
Erie Transfiguration Recharge: 1d6=3 Not Recharged
Standard: Charge to N,-3
Attack: 1d20+16+1(Charge)+2(Flanking)=23 vs. AC

DO P,3
Erie Transfiguration Recharge for P3: 1d6=5 Recharged
Standard: Erie Transfiguration
Target: Draglin
Attack: 1d20+16=36 vs. Will for 11 damage
Secondary Attacks:
Target 1: Gloom
Attack 1: 1d20+14=18 vs. will Miss
Target 2: Deckhand Q,-3
Attack 2: 1d20+14=33 vs. will Hit
Target 3: Jahred
Attack 3: 1d20+14=31 vs. will Hit
*Deleted Virgil's attack* I realized too late that he had moved to R,-1 out of range.

Move: to T,1 deck level

DO O,4:
Move: to O,-2
Standard: Charge to O,-2 deck level
Attack: 1d20+16+1(Charge)+2(Flanking)=33 vs. AC for 7 necrotic damage

DO O,5
Move: to N,-2
Standard: Charge to N,-2 deck level
Attack: 1d20+16+1(Charge)+2(Flanking)=26 vs. AC for 7 necrotic damage

DO N,5:
Move: to P,-1
Standard: Charge to P,-1 deck level
Target: Draglin
Attack: 1d20+16+1(Charge)=34 vs. AC for 7 necrotic damage

DO H,-5:
Move: to M,-5
Standard: Charge to M,-5 deck level
Attack: 1d20+16+1(Charge)=23 vs. AC Miss

DO H,-6:
Move: to M,-7
Standard: Charge to 0,-5 deck level
Attack: 1d20+16+1(Charge)=24 vs. AC Miss

DO J,-1:
Move: to Q,0
Standard: Charge to Q,0 deck level
Target: Virgil
Attack: 1d20+16+1(Charge)=35 vs. AC for 7 necrotic damage

Dante:
IR: MBA
Target: DO at Q,0
Attack: 1d20+15=33 vs. AC Hit/Kill

DO K,0:
Move: to R,0
Standard: Charge to R,0 deck level
Target: Virgil
Attack: 1d20+16+1(Charge)=25 vs. AC for 7 necrotic damage

Dante:
IR: MBA
Target: DO at R,0
Attack: 1d20+15=28 vs. AC Hit/Kill
[/sblock][sblock=Status]Dante R,-2 50/62HP 6/6HS 1AP Slowed(Aura)
Virgil R,-1 61/86 (Physical features are distorted, no save) Slowed(Arua)
Draglin P,-2 30/88HP 9/9HS 1AP (Physical features are distorted, no save), Slowed(Aura) Bloodied
Max N,-4 67/67HP 8/8HS 0AP Slowed(Aura)
Gloom O,-3 32 (34 Reg)/81HP 11/11HS 1AP (Physical features are distorted, no save), Slowed(Aura) Bloodied
Auntie Mab S,-5 60/60HP 7/7HS 1AP hidden

Jahred Q,-1 44(39 OG),51 Dazed and OG 5 (SEB), Slowed(Aura)
Deckhand Overboard Dead
Deckhand Overboard Dead
Deckhand OverboardDead
Deckhand OverboardDead
Deckhand Q,-3Dead
Deckhand Q,-3 Dead
Deckhand S,-1 Slowed(Aura)
Deckhand S,0Dead

Drowned Ones:
Too Numerous to list all:
Drowned One at T,1: Must recharge his Erie Transfiguration
Drowned One at N, -3: Must recharge his Erie Transfiguration

(refer to map)
[/sblock][sblock=Maps][sblock=Wide View Map]
ThePortalGuardiansWideMapRound3.png
[/sblock][sblock=Battlemap]
ThePortalGuardiansNarrowMapRound3.png
[/sblock][sblock=Melee Closeup Map]
ThePortalGuardiansMeleeCloseupMapRound3.png
[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Enemy Stats]x28(That you can see)
BigDrownedOne.png
[/sblock][sblock=Concerning NPCs]
The Beacon is running on a light crew. There are 6 men in the hold trying to get oars out and unbeach the ship. While they work, Jahred can only spare 7 more men to fight (3 of whom just died).

Each round, one of you may direct a single action from one NPC that has not yet performed an action during that round (this includes Jahred). This will be done on a first-come-first-serve basis. Ninja'd posts will need to be discussed among the players. [sblock=NPC Stats]
Jahred.png

X4
Deckhand.png
[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Terrain]

• The squares immediately adjacent to the masts (O,-6 to P,-5) are difficult terrain
  • The rails that bound the deck require a DC 30 strength check to break if want to push an enemy overboard from a square on the deck
  • To climb the rails takes 2 squares of movement
  • Falling into the water deals 10 points of damage (20 feet into water)
  • Jumping into the water only deals damage on a failed Athletics/Acrobatics check DC 20
  • Once in the water, you are swimming (PHB rules)
  • You may climb the rigging (PHB climbing), but please specify your elevation at the end of your move.
[/sblock][sblock=Ship Guns]Ship guns on the ghost ship will be in position at the beginning of the next round.

Ship Gun: Burst 1 within 20
Attack: 1d20+18 vs. Reflex for 6d12 fire damage. If it is a creature it is pushed 2 squares and knocked prone.
Miss: Half damage
Effect: Burst creates a zone the same size as the burst. Creatures starting their turn in the zone take 1d6 fire damage.
Recharge: :5: :6:
HP: 120
Effective Defense: 25
Vulnerable: Fire 10
If a gun is hit with a fire attack, there is a 3d6 chance that it will instantly explode, rendering it useless. The explosion is the same as if the gun had gone off point blank. Thus adjacent guns are subject to fire damage from the explosion.

Gun hits to the topside decks affect PCs, NPCs, and Enemies

Gun hits to the gun decks affect guns and hull integrity.

The Beacon hull:
HP: 250
Effective defense: 25

The Undead Frigate hull:
HP: 420
Effective defense: 25

When the hull is reduced to 0HP, the ship will sink in 2 rounds.[/sblock]
OOC: The skill checks that are dispersed throughout the fluff require no action. Please do not ignore them. Information you get there could affect what actions you take next.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
"By the motion of the ship, it is freed. Perhaps this is not the place we all die," Dante says. "Anyone know how to work sails?"

OOC: Passive Perception: 24. Anyone have a good idea of how to sail out of here?

Dungeoneering: 1d20+12=31.

[MENTION=44459]Luinnar[/MENTION], unfortunately creatures only get 1 immediate action a round (including Dante).

Also, what sort of actions would it be to climb up and help the crewman in the rigging?

Luinnar

First Post
You dare challenge a Knight of Draconia!?! Draglin shouts. Face holy breath foul fiends! he says, breathing a cloud of icy vapor and killing several undead.

Take this! Hahhhhya! Draglin shouts, dashing to the east and taking down three more undead with a flurry of strikes.

[sblock=actions]
Move: Shift to P-3
Minor: Dragon Breath Blast 3 NE
Rolls, Hurray! o-2, N-2, M0, N0 are all dead!
Standard: Dual Strike,rolls o-4 marked,P-4 dead

Jerahd: Appoint Champion:
Free: Draglin shifts to P-4 and uses Dual strike:o-5,o-4 dead.[/sblock]
OOC: Summary: o-2, N-2, M0, N0,P-4,o-5,o-4 dead.

OOC: History Check fail, Passive perception=16

[sblock=Draglin Stat Block]
Draglin, Dragonborn Fighter 8
Passive Perception 16, Passive Insight 14
AC 25, Fort 22, Reflex 21, Will 15
HP 33/68 Bloodied 34 Surge Value 17, Surges 9/9
Speed 6, Initiative +8
Action Points: 1

Basic Attack Short Sword; +16, 1d6+13(+14 w/ CA) creature is marked hit or miss, if used because of an OA from movement the creature stops moving (but may take another action to move again).

Combat Challenge: At Will Immediate Interrupt Melee
Trigger: When a marked enemy shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include Sir Draglin.
Effect: Sir Draglin makes a melee basic attack against that enemy

Footwork Lure
Dual Strike

Combat Challenge

Distracting Spate
Battle Fury Stance
Rain of Blows
Kirre's Roar
Dragon Breath
Feral Hide Armor +2
Amulet of Life +1

Bravo
Second Wind
Takedown Strike

Tempest Dance
Rain of Steel
Quick Short Sword +2

Current Effects:+2 to damage, +1 to hit when bloodied.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads