[Adventure]: The Missing Professor (DM: H.M.Gimlord, Looking for a Judge)

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: ...unfortunately creatures only get 1 immediate action a round (including Dante).

Also, what sort of actions would it be to climb up and help the crewman in the rigging?
GM: My bad. I'll let him have the extra IA. You all are going to need all the help you can get. Plus, I'm too lazy to redo the map. ;).

As for climbing the rigging, Athletics/Acrobatics DC 20 for every vertical square (at climbing speed).

The foresail (The one on which the deckhand is perched) is is 4 squares up.

The Mainsail (at midship - V,0) is 6 squares up.

Failure means that you stop your movement without climbing that square.

Failure by five or more (or a Nat 1) means that you fall (no save) taking 1d10 fall damage for every 2 squares you fall and 1d6 for the final single square for odd height (e.g.: 3 square fall is 1d10+1d6 damage, 5 squares is 2d10+1d6, etc...)

Unfurling the sail is a DC15 Thievery check (Minor Action).

For example: From where he is, Dante can double move to the top of the foresail (with four successful A/A rolls) leaving enough time for a single unfurling attempt,

or...he can blow a turn to reach the mainsail on his second turn with enough time for two unfurling attempts.

If Dante climbs the foresail, the deckhand will attempt to swing to the mainsail. If he makes it (Athletics DC 20), he will still have a minor action to attempt to unfurl the mainsail. If he fails, he falls and dies, leaving one of you to do the job. Dante can also attempt to swing to the mainsail at the same DC, though failure means an automatic fall and 2d10 damage.

Clear as mud :/

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Dante and Virgil slip back to the mast. Dante flies up the mast in seconds and begins furling the sails like a professional sailor.

[sblock=Actions]Move: Move and begin climbing. Athletics: 1d20+13=31. Virgil moves to the base of mast.
Standard->Move: Continue climbing. Athletics: 1d20+13=32.
Minor: Furl sails. Thievery: 1d20+6=21.

[sblock=Statblocks]Dante, Male Human Ranger 9
Passive Perception:22(24), Passive Insight:17
AC:23, Fort:24, Reflex:23, Will:21 -- Speed:6
HP:50/62, Bloodied:31, Surge Value:16, Surges left:6/6
Initiative +7, Action Points:1
Powers: Twin Strike, Throw and Stab, Marauder's Rush, Off-Hand Strike, Disruptive Strike, Ruffling Sting, Takedown Strike, Heroic Effort, Invigorating Stride, Second Wind, Jaws of the Wolf, Snarling Wolf Stance, Attacks on the Run Healing Lore
Items: Boots of the Fencing Master, Ruby Scabbard, Vanous' Combined Awareness, Casque of Tactics, Power Jewel
MBA
: +15 vs. AC, 2d4+11 damage (Crit 2d6+19)
RBA: 5/10 +15 vs. AC, 2d4+9 damage(Crit 2d6+17)
Notes: *OA on any enemy melee attacking Virgil if enemy is in reach 2 of Dante or Virgil adjacent to Dante. *+1 damage with CA. *+2 damage vs bloodied. *+1 AC/Ref on shift. *Draw spiked chain as part of attack. *First enemy hitting Dante takes 5 ongoing damage(save ends). *Gain 5 THP on AP. *Virgil gains 5 THP on Second Wind. *+1 defenses bloodied.

Virgil, Beast Companion(Lizard) 9
Passive Perception:14, Passive Insight:14
AC:23, Fort:20, Reflex:20, Will:18 -- Speed:6
HP:61/86, Bloodied:43, Surge Value:20(25), Surges left:2/2
MBA: +12(+14 if OA) vs. AC, 1d8+4 damage.
Note: Virgil's OA uses Dante's Immediate Reaction.[/sblock][/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
Damn good idea Dante! states the warlord as he takes a swipe at a nearby foe as he lops the head of a nearby foe.

[sblock=actions]
movement:none
minor: none
attack: 1d20+15 vs foe m,-4 AC for 1d10+9 =
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Gloom slice down the drowned one in front of him. He look at Dante who is taking out the sails. "Dante, you want to flee! Don't be a coward. Lauto doesn't like those undead. The spark that remain in those creature are meant to go to Lauto. He want his due!"

[SBLOCK=OOC]
[MENTION=79440]H.M.Gimlord[/MENTION]: Gloom just come from 3rd level to 10th level, so I am not used to some new abilities of Gloom.

Gloom has Strudy Shifter feat, which should have given Gloom 5 THP when he had entered Longtooth Shifting. That mean the first attack should have reduced him to 79, not 74 hp.

Gloom also has Raven's Cloak, which give him Resist Cold 5 and Resist Necrotic 5. This round, Gloom was hit by three attack that dealt 7 necrotic damage each. Add another on the previous round. That means his cloak should have reduce the damage dealt by 5 on each of those attacks.

In other word, Gloom should be at 57/81, not 32/81. I am not sure how far you wan to rollback the damage. I wait you call on it and change my status.

[MENTION=53947]Iron[/MENTION]Sky: Great idea, even if Gloom is against. Gloom is a reckles guy with a deathwish, so fleeing is not an option. As his player, I like him and like any great idea that allow him to survive.[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Action]Start: Regen 2 => 34/81
Standard: Holy Strike vs AC on Drowned One N-3 (1d20+16=29, 1d12+10=21)
Free: Perception; Dungeoneering (1d20+12=19, 1d20+10=12)[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Gloom's Stats]Gloom
Longtooth Shifter Paladin 10
Initiative +5
Passive Insight 27; Passive Perception 22; Senses Low-Light
HP 57/81; THP 0; Bloodied 40; Surge Value 20; Surges Per-Day 11
AC 26; Fortitude 23; Reflex 18; Will 23
Resist Cold 5
Resist Necrotic 5
Speed 5
Action Points: 1

Current Effects: None

Basic Attack: Blood Fury Fullblade +16 vs AC 1d12+10 damage

[ ]Ardent Strike
[ ]Holy Strike
[ ]Divine Challenge
[ ]Iron Wolf Warrior

[X]Longtooth Shifting
[ ]Iron Wolf Charge
[ ]Channel Divinity (Divine Mettle or Divine Strength)
[ ]Heedless Fury
[ ]Fortune Spurred Smite
[ ]Crescent Moon
[ ]Benediction

[5]Ardent Vow
[ ]Blood of the Mighty
[ ]Frenzying Smite
[ ]Death Angel
[ ]Aspect of Ferocity

[X]Blood Fury Fullblade [E]
[ ]Lauto's Shroud (The Raven Queen's Shroud) [E]
[ ]Verve Layered Plate Armor [D]
[ ]Frost Gauntlet [D]
[ ]Lauto's Shroud (The Raven Queen's Shroud) [D]
[ ]Belt of Lauto Righteousness (Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness) [D][/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: [MENTION=13739]Velmont[/MENTION]: Fair enough. I'll roll back the damage to 57, but I'll not retcon any posts or go back and calculate. I'll also keep these bonuses in mind.

All: Sorry I've been MIA here. Just got back from a road trip. I'll update status sometime late tonight.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Even as Dante begins working the sails, the deckhand is already grabbing a rope to swing to the main mast. He leaps, but his grip fails him. He plummets to the deck, breaking his spine as he strikes.

Auntie Mab moves around the deck like a shadow in the night taking out two of the undead monsters, and with a wink to the remaining deckhand a third falls.

The enemy is too strong though. Guns erupt from the burning ghost ship. The first 3 punch a hole in the hull and start fires below decks. The second three herald the end for the maritime band.

With two concussive blasts, Draglin and Gloom are vaporized. What is left of them is consigned to the deep somewhere over the port rails.

The wind picks up considerably.

Auntie Mab is horribly wounded by the second blast and falls against the port rail.

With a third blast, Jahred along with the last deckhand are riddled with burning splinters, lying dead on the deck.

The wind strengthens even further.

Dante and Max begin to despair. Even as fire is engulfing Max, four zombies clamor over the starboard rail. Two of them charge headlong into Auntie Mab, finally bringing her down, the life drained from her body as the gruesome undead surround her, heedless of the flames, and the second death that they will surely bring.

The wind begins to howl and the briny waters below the ships begin to bubble like a caldron over a fire.

In like manner, two more zombies slam into Max, wounding the valiant fighter even further.

A fifth abomination manages to climb up the mast in an attempt to unseat Dante, but the ranger pulls his feet out of the way just in time

Max, however is not so lucky. From skiffs of the starboard side of The Beacon, the drowned wretches unleash blasts of psychic power that finally undo the fighter, who falls to the deck amid the flames that are now being fanned by gale-force winds.

Only Dante and Virgil are left. Dante struggles to hang onto the mast as the wind rips the binding ropes from his hands, and fills the foresail full.

The Beacon lurches forward, but toward what?

Cheers go up from the throng of zombies aboard the ghost ship. Some of them even appear to be waving.

To the fore of The Beacon, the ocean begins to pitch in enormous swells. Walls of water spout a hundred feet or so into the air in enormous arcs that appear to form some sort of aquatic tunnel, drawing The Beacon down into it.

By now, the winds are so great that they begin to shred the sails, and Dante finds himself atop a twenty-foot mast that is swaying more than fifteen feet from side to side. Finally, the unspeakable occurs. The mast below the ranger snaps under the strain, sending him down toward his companion amid the flames that still rage on the deck. Falling timbers pummel them both, until everything goes black.
OOC: Not my picture. Referenced from the liked site.
galleon.JPG
[sblock=Auntie Mab's Actions]Auntie Mab:
Standard: Gloaming Cut
Target: DO at P,-1
Attack: 1d20+16+2(hidden)=23 vs AC for 1d4+2+2d8(SA)=11
Effect: Shift to R,-5
Auntie Mab is hidden

Command: Deckhand at S,-1 Spear
Target: DO at T,1
Attack: 1d20+17=33 vs. AC for 6 damage

AP: Gloaming Cut
Target: DO at N,-5
Attack: 1d20+16+2(hidden)=25 vs. AC for 1d4+2=5 damage
[/sblock][sblock=Deckhand on the Foresail]Move: Swing to Mainsail
Athletics: 1d20+8=10 Fail[/sblock][sblock=Enemy Actions]Boats Move (See Map)

Ship Gun 1:
Target: Gun Deck on The Beacon
Attack: 1d20+18=19 vs. 25 def Miss

Ship Gun 2:
Attack: 1d20+18=37 vs. 25 def for 6d12=56 fire damage to ship hull (66 fire damage to Gun 1 on The Beacon)
Gun Explosion: 1d6=2 - No Explosion

Ship Gun 3:
Attack: 1d20+18=20 vs. 25 def Miss

Ship Gun 4:
Target Square: O,-3 (Gloom)
Target 1: Gloom
Attack 1: 1d20+18=38 vs. Reflex CRIT and Gloom is pushed to Q,-5
Target 2: Draglin
Attack 2: 1d20+18=23 vs. Reflex and Draglin is pushed to R,-6
Target 3: Max
Attack 3: 1d20+18=32 vs. Reflex and Max is pushed to P,-6
Damage: 6d12=33 fire damage

Zone damage: 1d6=3 fire damage if a creature starts its turn in N,-4 to P,-2

Ship Gun 5:

Target Square: R,-1 (Virgil)
Target 1: Virgil
Attack 1: 1d20+18=35 vs. Reflex and Virgil is pushed to T,-3
Target 2: Jahred
Attack 2: 1d20+18=32 vs. Reflex and Jahred is pushed to S,-3
Target 3: Deckhand
Attack 3: 1d20+18=29 vs. Reflex and Deckhand is pushed to U,-3
Damage: 6d12=45 fire damage

Zone damage: 1d6=2 fire damage if a creature starts its turn in Q,-2 to S,0

Ship Gun 6:
Target Square: R,-1 (Virgil)
Target 1: Gloom
Attack 1: 1d20+18=37 vs. Reflex-5 and is pushed to R,-7
Target 2: Max
Attack 2: 1d20+18=20 vs. Reflex+2 Miss
Target 3: Draglin
Attack 3: 1d20+18=36 vs. Reflex-5 and is pushed to T,-8
Target 4: Auntie Mab
Attack 4: 1d20+18=26 vs. Reflex and Auntie Mab is pushed to T,-7
Auntie Mab's save vs. falling overboard: 1d20=19 Ends at S,-7
Damage: 6d12=50 fire damage

Zone damage: 1d6=2 fire damage if a creature starts its turn in P,-6 to R,-4

DO at M,-5:

Move: to N,-6,+3
Standard: Bull Rush
Target: Dante
Attack: 1d20+7=8 vs. Fortitude Miss

DO at G,-2
Move: to N,-3,-1
Standard: Charge to O,-5
Target: Max
Attack: 1d20+16+2(Prone Enemy)+1(Charge)=33 vs. AC for 7 necrotic damage

DO at O,-2
Move: to H,-2,0
Charge: to S,-5
Target: Auntie Mab
Attack: 1d20+16+2(Prone Enemy)+1(Charge)=28 vs. AC for 7 necrotic damage

DO at I,-1
Move: to H,-2,0
Charge: to R,-5
Target: Auntie Mab
Attack: 1d20+16+2(Prone Enemy)+1(Charge)=26 vs. AC for 7 necrotic damage

DO at I,0
Move: to N,-3,-1
Charge: to P,-5
Attack: 1d20+16+2(Prone Enemy)+1(Charge)=37 vs. AC for 7 necrotic damage

DO at E3
Move: to M,-2
Standard: Erie Transfiguration
Attack: 1d20+16=24 vs. Will+2 for 11 damage
No secondary Targets

DO at E4
Move: to N,-1
Attack: 1d20+16=21 vs. Will+2 Miss
No secondary Targets

DO at F3
Move: to M,-4
Attack: 1d20+16=30 vs. Will+2 for 7 necrotic damage
No secondary Targets

DO at F4
Move: to M,-5
Target: Dante
Attack: 1d20+16=17 vs. Will+2 Miss
No secondary Targets
[/sblock] Dante is suddenly awakened by splash of saltwater. The sun burns into his eyes as he opens them to let in the light of a clear, late-morning, sky. Into the view of his still blinking eyes, the frame of Jahred's smiling face moves, shading the ranger's eyes from the sunlight, "How'd you like that?" Virgil lumbers up to Dante and gives the ranger a long lick of greeting as the captain extends a hand to help him to his feet.

Rising, Dante can't believe his eyes. The Beacon is ship-shape. Her timbers and sails are in order, and the entire crew is alive and well, each doing his job as if nothing happened.

Auntie Mab is sitting by the rail and nods to Dante politely. Two of the deckhands are busy trying to revive Max, who seems to still think he is dead.

"Hey! Could one of you give us a hand!?"

At the rail, Auntie Mab and Dante are happy to see Draglin and Gloom safely treading calm ocean waters off the port side of The Beacon, "So where are we?" Auntie Mab asks, "Is this heaven?"

Jahred shakes his head, "No. Not by a long shot." The captain looks up at the sun, shading his eyes with a flattened hand, "I imagine we're a day or two west of Rioc Alair," he shrugs, "At least that's where we were when we came through The Hallway on our way to find you." He looks down at the rogue and the ranger, who both have dumbfounded looks on their faces, "Ah! Yes. You see it's called Lauto's Hallway. It's a portal that can only be used by the dead. Once on the other side, your life is restored, with a warning, which I will now pass on to you: You must keep the secret of the portal. If you tell the secret to anyone who has not yet passed through the hallway, both their deaths and yours will be permanent." Jahred winks, "You see, it is a true test of valor and honor. In exchange for your bravery, Lauto offers to transport your ship over a half-year journey in one night. I'd say that's fair, wouldn't you?" He sighs and leans over the rail, "Now, what say we get your friends out of the drink."[sblock=Extended Rest and Rewards]Extended rest granted to all!

Rewards:

Rounding to 50 Drowned Ones: 150 * 50 * 2 = 15,000XP

Divided 5 ways, that's 3,000XP a piece[/sblock]
OOC: Again. Not my picture, but referenced here for its effect.
06_copyright_Mahan36-7297C.jpg
GM: Feel free to roleplay your interactions with Jahred and the crew, again, any questions you may have about your mission or what just happened or whatever you want to talk to them about.

I'll post the next encounter in a day or two.

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
"This one understands why not many use this passage. The price is steep," Dante says, brushing sand off of his clothing and watching as Virgil moseys over to a long strand of seaweed and begins munching it down like an absurdly long pasta noodle. "What do these ones do from here?"

OOC: Dante is updated to level 10. Extended rest I'm assuming?

[sblock=Statblocks]Dante, Male Human Ranger 10
Passive Perception:23(25), Passive Insight:18
AC:24, Fort:25, Reflex:24, Will:23 -- Speed:6
HP:67/67, Bloodied:32, Surge Value:17, Surges left:6/6
Initiative +9, Action Points:1
Powers: Twin Strike, Throw and Stab, Marauder's Rush, Off-Hand Strike, Disruptive Strike, Ruffling Sting, Takedown Strike, Thorn Ward, Heroic Effort, Invigorating Stride, Second Wind, Jaws of the Wolf, Snarling Wolf Stance, Attacks on the Run Healing Lore
Items: Boots of the Fencing Master, Ruby Scabbard, Vanous' Combined Awareness, Casque of Tactics, Power Jewel
MBA
: +16 vs. AC, 2d4+11 damage (Crit 2d6+19)
RBA: 5/10 +16 vs. AC, 2d4+9 damage(Crit 2d6+17)
Notes: *OA on any enemy melee attacking Virgil if enemy is in reach 2 of Dante or Virgil adjacent to Dante. *+1 damage with CA. *+2 damage vs bloodied. *+1 AC/Ref on shift. *Draw spiked chain as part of attack. *First enemy hitting Dante takes 5 ongoing damage(save ends). *Gain 5 THP on AP. *Virgil gains 5 THP on Second Wind. *+1 defenses bloodied.

Virgil, Beast Companion(Lizard) 10
Passive Perception:16, Passive Insight:16
AC:24, Fort:22, Reflex:22, Will:20 -- Speed:6
HP:94/94, Bloodied:47, Surge Value:23(28), Surges left:2/2
MBA: +14(+16 if OA) vs. AC, 1d8+4 damage.
Note: Virgil's OA uses Dante's Immediate Reaction.[/sblock]

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
ooc: That was awesome!

Max gets up to speak, but then sits down and tends to his wounds, mumbling to himself...I could have gotten at least 10 more...

[sblock=dm]
are we allowed to update our CS. If so, I'm about 60 xp away from 10th level. That's the way it goes...Can ya spare 60 xp?
[/sblock]

Luinnar

First Post
I had the bestest dream...I was king of my own land and and a lady sleeping in a pond was about to give me a holy avenger...Draglin whispers, letting himself be helped up onto the boat by the crew.

What happened? Draglin says looking around. All I remember is being vaporized and then I woke up in something-lot and that nice women was going to give me the sword, ex-something. Is she here? he asks looking around.

OOC: Draglin has leveled up to level 9 (2 more levels to paragon!)

[sblock=Draglin Stat Block]
Draglin, Dragonborn Fighter 9
Passive Perception 16, Passive Insight 14
AC 25, Fort 22, Reflex 21, Will 15
HP 72/72 Bloodied 37 Surge Value 18, Surges 9/9
Speed 6, Initiative +8
Action Points: 1

Basic Attack Short Sword; +16, 1d6+13(+14 w/ CA) creature is marked hit or miss, if used because of an OA from movement the creature stops moving (but may take another action to move again).

Combat Challenge: At Will Immediate Interrupt Melee
Trigger: When a marked enemy shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include Sir Draglin.
Effect: Sir Draglin makes a melee basic attack against that enemy

Footwork Lure
Dual Strike

Combat Challenge

Distracting Spate
Battle Fury Stance
Rain of Blows
Kirre's Roar
Dragon Breath
Feral Hide Armor +2
Amulet of Life +1

Bravo
Second Wind
Takedown Strike
Backlash Tatoo

Tempest Dance
Rain of Steel
Bedeviling Assault
Quick Short Sword +2

Current Effects:+2 to damage, +1 to hit when bloodied.
[/sblock]

Velmont

First Post
"You are kidding me..." tells Gloom, listening at Jarhed's story. "Lauto must be laughing at me..." he tells, rage building in his voice. He stands up and walk toward Jarhed "... and you have been part of that joke." He then try to strike Jarhed in the face, but Gloom seems clumsy on the rolling deck and trying to start a brawl in his heavy armor. "You will pay for that..." and then try to grab Jarhed to push him overboard.

[SBLOCK=OOC]Bit of background: Gloom saw his tribe getting killed by raiders. He was the only survivor. All his tribe have gone to the land of death. Since that day, he has been seeking a worthy death to follow them, but Lauto seems to have prevented him to do so up to now. So this Lauto's Hallway seems just another of Lauto's way to laugh at Gloom.

By the way, Gloom is not a paladin by choice, and he hate Lauto even more to have been chosen as one of his soldier.[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Remove ads