(Adventure) The old fashioned way...

silentspace

First Post
OOC: Err... the portal seems to be still open in the tavern, can Mintrik the human wizard step through? Or did the wizard mean warriors only?

--

Stepping through the portal is a thin human male wearing gray robes. He has silver hair, olive skin, and light grey eyes, and carries a light crossbow and a club slung over his shoulders.

Well, the portal was still open, but am I, a wizard, welcome here? He said he has no need for spellcasters, but I'm hungry for work. I have courage and discretion, that is for sure. The only thing that would seem to disqualify me for this mission is my being an arcanist. Well, I know I can contribute, if he will let me. I might as well try.

Feeling out of place, the human nonetheless moves forward brashly.

"Greetings Harnfal Interirion. I am Mintrik, a wizard. My skill is in magic. I understand you have no need of arcanists, but if you will but give me a chance, I am sure I can contribute to this mission. I am hungry for work, and eager to start earning my fortune. If you will accept an arcanist as part of this mission, I will not dissappoint you." He bows but doesn't take seat. He's ready to leave back through the portal if Harnfal won't accept him.

Last edited:

Kahuna Burger

First Post
silentspace said:
OOC: Err... the portal seems to be still open in the tavern, can Mintrik the human wizard step through? Or did the wizard mean warriors only?
argh, sorry, work issues. the portal closes after Rogar, and I will update later this afternoon... work at 8 am saterday, argh!

Kahuna Burger

Kahuna Burger

First Post
The man looks at each of the individuals in turn and then nods once you are all settled. "Very well, I think this will do. I had to move very quickly and outside my local geography, and the Red Dragon seemed like the best way to go... and now you are here - but please, be comfortable, I will have to speak a fair bit, but all you must do is listen." He gestures and various glasses and plates of food begin moving about on their own, serving the group light refreshments. "I will be blunt. I move in a world of magic. My life is magic, my associates deal in magic, my rivals challange me with magic. As a result I have protected myself and my family extensivly from the hostile use of magic. However, even my most devious enemies have never attempted to bring mundane force against me. Part of it is tradition - a gentlemages agreement if you will - and part a loathing of most mundane mercaneries to get on the bad side of a mage of my caliber or of those who I deal with. I have no worries of physical problems, and I keep no physical forces on hand. This has never presented a problem..." He makes an annoyed face, "obviously, until now."

He gets up and paces the room, glancing into a floating orb and then pushing it away in anger. "My daughter has been abducted. She and her privacy have always been protected by my most powerful countermagics, and since she has matured she has added to them herself. I know only two things for certain. One is that her kidnappers used no magic, in fact possessed no magical abilities or items when they trespassed on my estates. The other is that due to the steps I have taken over the years, the layers of defenses and misdirections and countermessures, due to my abiding cleverness in protecting her," He stared again into the orb and shoves it away so hard it breaks a smaller looking glass on the wall, "I can't so much as scry her pet dog, much less find or rescue her!" He collapses in his chair again, and grabs a botte of wine out of the air to drink deeply. When he has controlled himself somewhat he continues.

"Some of the wardings do protect her from physical harm as well, so she is likely unscathed, but restrained - held for ransom or to try to gain information of some sort. I know that she was out hunting in the eastern meadows, and her horse came back riderless and with a broken saddle. Her bird has also returned to the aviary. The only thing my magics have been able to determine is that yesterday a small group of orcs and half orcs entered this region from the north; most assumed it was respresentatives of one of the hill tribes come to trade the fruits of their banditry or even ransom a prisoner. The nusience has never effected me before. There is some reason to believe that they entered my estate, but I cannot find any sign of them either, which makes me believe even more strongly that they are now in the company of my daughter and thus protected by her wardings."

He sighs heavily. "So your task by now should be obvious. You will search for the physical clues I have no expereince with and if needed fight a physical foe I cannot even find to target. You will return here with my daughter and if possible an understanding of why she was taken." He takes a long drink and then lifts one eyebrow at the essembled folk. "And now one of you will ask me what you get in return..."

Zerth

First Post
"The task is clear. We go find out, what happened to your daughter and bring her back safe and sound," Durg states. "If it involves bashing orc skulls - so be it."

"You got it all figured out, don't you, mage. By all means tell what you pay us so we can begin."

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Zerth said:
"The task is clear. We go find out, what happened to your daughter and bring her back safe and sound," Durg states. "If it involves bashing orc skulls - so be it."

"You got it all figured out, don't you, mage. By all means tell what you pay us so we can begin."

The mage smiles. "I've had some things prepared while I gathered you here - lets see if they're ready..." He claps his hands briskly and through one of the room's doorways two objects are wisked in by the invisible forces he apparently uses as servants. One is a worn but servicable looking backpack and the other a large sack. Both seem full. The backpack is given directly to the mage, while the sack is hung from a hook on the wall. He hands the backpack to Durg. "Two thousand gold." He states simply. When the half orc compares the weight to this number and looks distrustful, the mage smiles. "Its bigger inside than it looks. Its not all in gold, the side pockets have silver and copper if you need small coins. It is your advance, and also your spending money. Should you need to hire horses, equip yourselves, bribe people for information or even find yourself outmatched and choose to negotiate a ransom, it can come out of that sack. If you are frugal in your mission, the extra is yours to keep. As for your full reward when this is completed..." He gestures to the sack on the wall. "Again it holds more than it seems. Currently, it holds twelve thousand in gold."

He waits a moment for this amount to sink in, then says, "Again, that is what it holds currently. As I said in the Inn, your payment will be based on your skill and efficiency. Each hour after you leave this manor to search out my daughter, one hundred gold will disapear from that sack. The loss will cease the moment she crosses my threshold again. I expect you to feel as urgently about this matter as I do, if for different reasons."

Knight Otu

First Post
"So it seems that everything is cleared up, and I guess we should move as fast as possible. Even though your daughter is warded, she'll likely feel uncomfortable."
Semabin seems to be more interested in jumping into the adventure right now than the actual reward, and he does think that Loskrad might have been right about the wizard.

Steadfast

First Post
Cailean's eyebrows raise despite himself. He had heard many offers that were too good to be true in his time guarding caravans for greedy merchants and this was one of the best of them. "Well, I suppose there's no sense in wasting time. Perhaps you would be so kind as to point us in the direction of the meadow and tell us where we can purchase mounts for this expedition?"

Gooch

Explorer
Halydin's actions

Although as an orphan Halydin has no siblings he can imagine the torment this powerfull mage has been saddled with. Powefull beyond their conception in the realm of magic but unable to retrieve his daughter from simple orc brigands.

Halydin would have taken the mission without compensation as doing "good" in the forest he hails from rarely provides earthly recognized rewards.

"I can understand my companions haste but I would like to take a look at your daughters steed and her hunting bird as well. Perhaps they can lend a clue as to her current whereabouts."

"I won't be in need of a ride myself as I prefer tracking on foot."

Halydin stands quietly and awaits the mages response

Last edited:

Zerth

First Post
Durg accepts the bag of money from the mage. "Pay is very generous. We will do our best to save your daughter."

The monk himself is not that interested in great riches beyond what covers his basic needs. However, he eagerly waits this upcoming opportunity to test his skills.

TheNovak

First Post
Gooch said:
Although as an orphan Halydin has no siblings he can imagine the torment this powerfull mage has been saddled with. Powefull beyond their conception in the realm of magic but unable to retrieve his daughter from simple orc brigands.

Halydin would have taken the mission without compensation as doing "good" in the forest he hails from rarely provides earthly recognized rewards.

"I can understand my companions haste but I would like to take a look at your daughters steed and her hunting bird as well. Perhaps they can lend a clue as to her current whereabouts."

"I won't be in need of a ride myself as I prefer tracking on foot."

Halydin stands quietly and awaits the mages response

Rogar grunts and nods brisky. "Aye, I'm agreein'. Chargin' off blindly's not gonna accomplish much, and 'sides, we don't start losin' money until we leave the manor, aye? I say we search the damn stables and aviary first, and then start wanderin' around the damn wilderness."

Remove ads