(Adventure) The old fashioned way...

Kahuna Burger

First Post
The mage nods and gestures and a scroll from one of the rooms many shelves flies into Cailaen's hands. "A map of the surrounding area, including the towns where you can get supplies and the passes that the orc tribes normally mount their ambushes in... I have other matters to attend to, but one of my servants," A candle is lifted and motions to the door, "will show you to the stables and then when you request to the eastern meadows."

The stables, while large and well kept, contain only one meticulously cared for horse. It is a lovely mare which seems happy enough eating its ration. Several saddles sit on the tack benches around it, and the one closest to reach seems to be the damaged one. One stirup is missing, the strap apparently sliced through, and some of the straps holding the saddle on are also cut, enough that it might shift underneath a rider under attack. (if anyone had good ranks in spot, leatherworking, or handle animal, please note them)

ooc: I just realized that the mage never clarified an obvious question - the horse returned to the stable around noon today, it is now late afternoon.

Gooch

Explorer
Halydin's Actions

The Ranger slowly approaches the steed and gently rubs it's muzzle as he works his way around the horse's flank.

Carefully Halydin inspects the horses hide noting if any brambles, twigs, seeds or grass were caught as the beast fleed through the forest-as they might provide some clue as to where the steed had been.

Halydin finally moves to the horses hoves and after whispering a calming word to the beast gently lifts the steeds legs one at a time-noting how they're shod as he has a feeling he will be tracking this horses movements in the near future.

"I'm suprised this steed made it out. Orcs love a good horse meat stew", the horse replies to the half-elf rangers last comment with a loud whinney.

OCC: I don't have spot or animal handling but I do have animal empathy not sure how much that would help here. Also KB if it would be worth it I would also like to take a look at the hunting bird as well.

Last edited:

Zerth

First Post
Durg doesn't understand anything about animals so he leaves the investigations in the stable to the ranger. The half-orc will wait patiently, though, and see if something can be found out.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Halydin finds the horse to be well groomed, and its possible the invisible servants have already removed any evidence that could be gathered. The horseshoes are somewhat distinctive and should have left clear tracks. The horse herself is calm and friendly, seeming unworried by the ranger's examination.

Gooch

Explorer
"Nothing my small friend, but at least I'll have a good idea of what tracks I'll be looking for," Halydin says to the Dwarf.

The ranger walks over to the saddle and examines it more closely, "I'm uncertain as to wether this saddle may have been tampered with before the attack...a loosened or weakened girth strap perhaps, which would indicate a conspirator in this very house. But I guess questioning whoever saddled the mare for her would be out of the question as all the servants seemed to be summoned beings."

Halydin turns to his companions, "Well there are no further clues for me to gather here, I am ready to embark on whatever tasks you have planned."

OCC: KB what's the daughter's name by the way?

Last edited:

Steadfast

First Post
Cailean, having been watching the Ranger in silent interest, finally speaks up. "I know I've said it before, but I think we should start by getting mounts. These kidnappers already have a healthy lead on us and, no offense Rogar, but an armored dwarf isn't exactly swift as the wind."

Remove ads