• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Adventure) The old fashioned way...

Knight Otu

First Post
Semabin looks around, trying to stay out of the way of Halydin so he doesn't disturb his work. It takes him a while to understand just what he examines.

"You suspect this big wolf could have been a mount? It would be big enough, I guess..."

Zerth

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
The Shoppers:
heading off the manor, you come relitively soon to a small but prosperous town nearby. The gate gaurd (an apparently ceromonial position) directs you to a livery and general store near the center where you can procure mounts and basic gear. (standard SRD prices, if you want to haggle it could lead to lower OR higher ones. :eek: SRD Equpment section)

You also notice a few discreet temples - apparently in this area of the world it is not common for them to actively advertise what god or gods they are dedicated to (perhaps due to the local power of arcane magic?)...
Durg and Rogar reach the town and get some basic stuff and mounts first and then try to get some healing potions from a temple.

Here's a shopping list: (Rogar, add anything you think we might still need)

4 light horses 300 gp
1 pony 30 gp
5 x riding saddle and saddlebags 70 gp
two tents 20 gp
hempen rope 1 gp
grappling hook 1 gp
hooded lantern 7 gp
10 flasks of oil 1 gp
4 days rations for 5 people 10 gp
shovel 2 gp
crowbar 1 gp
10 torches 1 gp

From a temple: 3 potions of Cure Light Wounds for 150 gp (if they are available at SRD prices also).

Total gold spent 594 gp.

TheNovak

First Post
Looking over the shopping list, Rogar grunts. "Aye, looks good tae me. O' course, as soon as we're out'n the wilderness, we'll realize we're forgettin' somethin'."

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Trackers
Upon examination the dead wolf clearly has a pattern of hairlessness and calluses on its neck and chest similar to those left by a riding dog's harness. The half elf also notices that the wolf seems fairly old - far older than most would get in the wild, and perhaps a little old to be a dependable mount.

Shoppers
You are able to aquire the mundane items you seek, and after an awkward encounter at a temple devoted to elven gods find one which Rogar is more comfortable at. The potion buying goes more smoothly after that. (and you can probably try to get some information if you wish to be conversational)

Zerth

First Post
When all the shopping is done, Durg is just eager to get going and join with the others. "If something was forgotten, it was. Do you still wish to stay here for something or should we just hit the road?", Durg asks Rogar. The not-that-charismatic half-orc feels no need for more chit-chat in the town, even if it probably would be beneficial. He looks at the dwarven cleric waiting for him to give his opinion.

Steadfast

First Post
Cailean looks off to the left where Halydin indicated the orcs had started off. "It may be a large group, but if we draw them out one by one like you suggested, numbers will hardly matter."

Gooch

Explorer
"Hmmm...I agree friend hit and run tactics offer our best chance. But I still don't like our odds against six orc warg riders and their mounts. A dire wolf this size would take at least three or four of us to handle by itself...let alone the rider."

Halydin looks to the wolf trails leading deeper into the forest. "I suggest we await the arrival of our companions and then set out as quickly as possible"

OCC: As I don't have a map in front of me this is kinda difficult. I would like to rework my calculations for wolf movement and current heading using track feat and wilderness skill to come up with a likely intercept point. I figure our best chance is to get out ahead of them as tracking behind the warg riders with horses will offer us very little chance of overtaking them.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Gooch said:
OCC: As I don't have a map in front of me this is kinda difficult. I would like to rework my calculations for wolf movement and current heading using track feat and wilderness skill to come up with a likely intercept point. I figure our best chance is to get out ahead of them as tracking behind the warg riders with horses will offer us very little chance of overtaking them.

The dire wolves tend to move slower than a light horse but faster than a pony and may have some advantages in the forrest terrain. Assuming that the orcs will be going in a straight line from the way they headed off (not always a safe bet) they don't seem to be going to the pass on the map but an area of the mountains closer by. Halydin does think that there might be forest paths and smaller passes that the mountain dwellers know of that wouldn't be marked on the neat map of a 'civilized' traveler.

Knight Otu

First Post
(Assuming that Halydin relays that piece of information)

"So, it seems possible that the orcs do not go where you first thought they would go? That would mean that someone would need to stay behind to inform Durg and Rogar."

Semabin feels rather uncomfortable with the idea that he might be the one to stay behind. It would certainly be more exciting to go after the orc right now.

Gooch

Explorer
Halydin rises from examining the wargs dead body and again consults the map they were given.

OCC: Once again a bit difficult without the map...but does it appear the warg riders had ample time to reach the mountains by now. Basically do we have any chance of intercepting them while they are still in the forest. I'll use my wilderness and track skills to help figure this out.

Remove ads