Adventure: The Power of Knowledge (DM: Fragsie, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking)

garyh

First Post
Growl nods with agreement in hearing the drow's words. "The more a hunter knows his prey, the quicker the chase."

OOC: Thanks for rolling for me, Fragsie. Should be able to keep up at this point.

[sblock=Growl's Info]Growl- "Male" Warforged Druid 2
Initiative: +1, Passive Perception: 20, Passive Insight: 20
AC: 19, Fort: 15, Reflex: 12, Will: 17 - Speed: 6
HP: 35/35, Bloodied: 17, Surge Value: 8 (10 in beast form), Surges left: 11/11
Action Points: 1

Powers:
Chill Wind
Savage Rend
Swarming Locusts
Wild Shape

Barkskin
Darting Bite
Second Wind
Warforged Resolve

Faerie Fire
Enduring Beast Hide Armor +1 (Daily)

Full character sheet[/sblock]

Fragsie

Explorer
"Significant markings? Well, Kargh; the group's leader, has only one and a half horns. Damage from his long tenure as a gladiator. They are all of the same clan so have similar colourings, a dark tan fur with black manes and tails."

"As for what they would do if not at the shrine, your guess would be as good as mine. They have not asked to go into the city before now, which is why I found the request odd. Kargh told me that this would be the first time they had a chance to pray at a shrine of Maraz since they had last been in the savage lands.
Within the Turtledome they are known for their dicing and their betting, feats of strength and such, though I don't know how useful that information will be."

Fragsie

Explorer
"Very well, I hope to see you back soon, good luck." The oni lifts his hat to you all; the hooks making a curious jingling sound, then downs his drink in one and picks up his fishing rod once more.

The skull lord takes the emptied cup and sits it back on the table top before giving you three toothy grins and a wave.

You begin to make your way back down the pier, walking toward the town with the afternoon sun on your back, it's light giving a welcome relief from the cold autumn day.
On the next pier over, the last of the goods from Allaria are being carried to a warehouse as the crew of the Siren's Call are securing the hold and quickly sweeping the deck, eager for their shore leave to begin. As you come to the end of the dockside and move onto the cobbled streets of the town proper, you hear a great cheer arise from the TURTLEDOME! behind you, the sound of a job well done.

[sblock=OOC]Ok, contract arranged, on with the show!
I hope none of you mind too much; but we're going straight into another skill challenge. I hadn't planned to have two together, but the whole crowd corral thing was spur of the moment to keep us entertained while waiting for stragglers. This skill challenge is a little different though; it's made of two segements, each segment having two rounds of skill checks. I'll repost relevant skill challenge gumph so you don't have to skip back to page 1:
[sblock=Skill Challenge Types]Types of Challenges
Every Skill Challenge has a type chosen by the DM: mental, physical, or social. The type determines what kinds of skills are generally appropriate to the challenge, as well as the consequences of success and failure.

Mental
A Mental challenge lets the players using their minds and their senses to gain clues and to find their way around the world. DMs can use Mental Challenges to describe large scales of scenery and give players a chance to work out clues to obtain victory.
Standard skills for a mental challenge include:

Arcana (Int)
Dungeoneering (Wis)
Heal (Wis)*
History (Int)
Insight (Wis)
Nature (Wis)
Perception (Wis)
Religion (Int)
Social (cha)**
Streetwise (Cha)***

*When dealing with anatomy or medical insights.
**Social skills can be useful to gain clues when other people are near the challenge site, such as using diplomacy to acquire help from the head librarian. Generally allow this only once per challenge per person.
***For navigating urban terrain or gaining information on the street.

Physical
A physical challenge often is the most versatile of challenges. It can include subtle stealth or outrageous stunts. Players are encouraged to describe their actions in detail.

Standard skills for a Physical Challenge include:
Acrobatics (Dex)
Athletics (Str)
Endurance (Con)
Heal (Wis)
Stealth (Dex)
Thievery (Dex)
Social (cha)*
Knowledge (int or wis)**

*Social skills can sometimes be useful in physical challenges against other creatures. Using bluff to throw off a group of guards as you make your escape is a good example. Generally only allow this once per challenge per player. **Knowledge skills can sometimes be useful in physical challenges that involve certain environments. Using nature in a chase scene that involves the jungle is one example. Generally only allow this once per challenge per player.

Social
A social challenge generally involves talking and a large amount of role‐playing. Players are encouraged to use eloquent words, bold statements, and outright lies to win the day.
Standard Skills for a social challenge include:

Bluff (cha)
Diplomacy(cha)
Insight (wis)
Intimidate (cha)
Streetwise (cha)
Knowledges * (int or wis)

*In some cases, some knowledge skills can be useful if they are particularly relevant to the challenge. Example: Using religion in a social challenge that involves a priest. Generally only allow this once per player per challenge.[/sblock]
[sblock=Skill Challenge Options]
Primary Skill: For most challenges, the DM assigns one or two skills as the center point of the challenge. Players using that skill receive a +2 to their skill checks.

Bold Recovery: A player may spend an action point to reroll a skill check they have made, before they might know if the roll was a success or failure. The player must take the result of the reroll.

Unburdened: You may spend one healing surge and choose a skill that has an armor check penalty (such as endurance). For the rest of the skill challenge, you may ignore the armor check penalty for that skill. You may spend additional surges to select more skills.[/sblock][/sblock]

Skill Challenge (S1): Find the Shrine of Maraz (lvl 2) DC 18

Segment 1 (Social): Where to look?

Primary Skill: Streetwise
You know that the minotaurs were headed for a shrine of a god called Maraz (?) that is supposedly somewhere in Daunton, but where? You must find out where this shrine lays, and how to get there. If you want the bonus reward you'll have to do it reasonably quickly too.

Last edited:

Fragsie

Explorer
[sblock=Cerxy Only]As the group of adventurers move away from the open area of the dockside and into the streets with their myriad alleys and lanes, Thalia's voice whispers in your ear as though you she were stood behind you; her message beginning with ritual words.
"From the shadows we whisper, from the heights we watch...
It is I; Thalia, I got your message and I know you wish to speak to me. I will follow you from a distance and come to you when you are apart from your new comrades. We are pleased with how quickly you have found the trail of not one; but two, of our concerns.
"

It is immediately obvious that nobody else heard this whisper.[/sblock]

mohalloran

First Post
"I think it might be best if we search the city seperately for clues to where this Maraz shrine is. The more ground we cover and the more people we talk to, the more likely it is that we'll find someone who knows something about this shrine. How about we meet back in front of the Turtledome in about an hour? Brother Shane, why don't you go to the temple and see if there is any mention of a shrine to Maraz there. Same with you Skalissssss. Maybe your god will have some information on ths man. I'll head towards some local taverns/inns in this direction and Mikara, you can head towards inns and taverns in that direction. Growl, I would suggest staying with Mikara or myself for protection. These taverns can be filled with some unruly folks."

And with that, Ceryx starts heading towards the nearest tavern.

[sblock=Skill Challenge]Unless this doesn't fit with the skill challenge model. It just seemed like one way to handle this, since we did just corral most of the crowd outside into the Turtledome itself.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Fragsie

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]The results of the skill challenge will determine how much time it takes for you to find the information you're looking for (and contribute to how likely it is that you will get the 24hour bonus from Mr. Pinch), so agreeing to meet up again in an hour doesn't fit amazingly. You are welcome to split up, though I would suggest you travel in pairs at least.
Maybe rather than meeting within a certain time, just decide on a place? But that could maybe raise other issues (one of you could find the info you need and end up waiting hours for the others).
You could meet up in an hour as you suggest, but after one round, rather than the two in this segment?
It's up to you guys, what's the plan of action?[/sblock]
[sblock=Ceryx Only] your passive insight tells you that what Thalia meant by apart is more like across the road, or round a corner, rather than on the other side of town![/sblock]

Kalidrev

First Post
Mikara nods to Ceryx and moves towards one of the local Inns in the area. When she enters, she is not surprised to see a room full of rather unsavory folk. She could probably spend the next year counting the number of scars the collective group had aquired in their rather illicit and dangerous practices. Walking over to the bar, she orders a drink. While the bartender is filling her order, she makes conversation.

"This is a nice place you've got here. Looks like the business is good too. Say, you wouldn't happen to know where the Miraz shrine is, would you?"

[sblock=Skill Check] Mikara Rolls a Streetwise check and get a total of 18 [/sblock]

Last edited:

Fragsie

Explorer
OOC: 1 success

Mikara is quite aware of some of the lascivious looks she is getting from a few of the unsavoury patrons of the inn, in fact she is probably revelling in the attention. The rather unwholesome barman looks her in the eye and doesn't move an inch after the Drow orders a drink, instead he spits out a lump of some chewing herb onto the floor with a loud squelch; "Ain't nobody ever called this p***hole 'nice' girly, and we ain't got nowt but bitter ale or grog in 'ere, which d'ya want?"

Once Mikara has reordered and asked her question, the barman stares at her blankly for a moment then shoves another handful of herbs into his mouth and walks down the bar to serve another customer.
Before she has a chance to speak out at the hostility of the service, a hand rests on her arm.
"Allow me te apoli'gise for Derek's b'haviour mam, we don't usually get adventurers in 'ere; just us... businessmen." says an unshaven man with a glint in his eye, and the smell of poverty on his breath. He is clearly not a businessman, as he suggests.
"There are loadsa shrines in Daunton, but I don't know who this Maraz is, so it's probly an old one that's been fergot. I'd say you should be looking in the older parts o' town. I don't spose you'd be after some comp'ny while you look eh?"
Mikara feels the man's other hand come to rest on her hip and hears low, dirty chuckles from, some of the inns other inhabitants.

Last edited:

Remove ads